British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

mfesharne Aug 7th 2016 8:16 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12021520)
It's caused by insecurity and lack of confidence.

They know they've screwed up badly and been caught out by the disastrous leave vote which wasn't meant to happen.

They know that their spurious reasons for wanting to leave will never be fulfilled by Brexit and realise that all options from now on are bad.

The only thing that can 'save' them is collapse of the EU.

This will allow them to say 'There - we told you so - we knew we were right'.

Surely you're not suggesting Project Fear was true?

As Eric would say: Really, really?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

amideislas Aug 7th 2016 8:22 am

It seems logical that as Europeans witness the steady stream of emerging reality over the sheer implausibility of Brexit campaign promises, in addition to the incremental chaos and decline of British economy unfolding daily, the exit rhetoric in parts of Europe are starting to appear quite dubious. And the stats seem to support that.

The greater risk, I believe, is that Putin starts pumping even more money into European far-right groups calling for a exit referendums (or a collapse, as Putin would aspire to achieve). That's also a plausible scenario, although there is a limit to Putin's available cash. Not a lot to go around these days.

Still, anti-EU sentiments and European fear-mongering on the continent are much less significant than in Britain. And the difference in the sentiments published in British Media and European Media are a testament to that.

amideislas Aug 7th 2016 8:26 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12021528)
Surely you're not suggesting Project Fear was true?

As Eric would say: Really, really?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Which project fear?

The fear of Europe?

or the fear of leaving it?

Dick Dasterdly Aug 7th 2016 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12021534)
Which project fear?

The fear of Europe?

or the fear of leaving it?

You mean Cameron's make believe project fear most of which has already been debunked.

Had there been a credible argument for remaining in the EU, I'm sure he'd have used it.

Instead, together with his cronies, the best he could do was endless unsubstantiated scaremongering that most folk could see straight through.

"Fear of Europe", should read "Fear of a wonderful Continent being destroyed by a bunch of dictatorial knuckleheads who lead it from one catastrophe to another in their crazy quest for Absolute Power."....

....and history tells us well enough what that leads to. :cool:

Red Eric Aug 8th 2016 6:20 am

There, there, Dick. Try to relax a bit.

There was a referendum. Common sense prevailed. The UK voted out. It's all going to work out fine.

The dictatorship has ended for you. You can smile again now.

amideislas Aug 8th 2016 7:10 am

I'm not sure whether to blame the tabloids or the people who read them.

Britain's tabloid dictatorship

The Mail is the most powerful newspaper in Great Britain. A middle-market tabloid, with a daily readership of four and a half million, it reaches four times as many people as the Guardian, while being taken more seriously than the one paper that outsells it, the Sun. In January, its Web arm, Mail Online, surpassed that of the New York Times as the most visited newspaper site in the world, drawing fifty-two million unique visitors a month. The Mail’s closest analogue in the American media is perhaps Fox News. In Britain, unlike in the United States, television tends to be a dignified affair, while print is berserk and shouty.

The paper, which runs to about a hundred pages a day, is not all gloom. It has an equable rhythm. The serious stuff is supplemented by a beguiling lineup of novelty stories (the girl who eats nothing but chicken nuggets), animal stories (the surfing hippopotamus), personal essays (“I married a skinflint!”), barely disguised press releases (cranberry-cheese-flavored crisps on sale at Tesco), recipes, gossip, crosswords, obituaries, amusing pictures, and heartwarming fluff. The Mail is the place to go if you want to see a house that looks like Hitler, or a tabby with its head encased in a slice of bread.

Vexcore Aug 8th 2016 12:24 pm

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/k...article-50.png

^-- heh

Anyone know when we'll have an exact date? because it's just annoying as hell that the government are delaying and delaying... seriously what is the hold up?

amideislas Aug 8th 2016 1:04 pm

I agree. Do it. And do it quick. The sooner the better.

TGA Aug 8th 2016 6:16 pm

From the brexit doom sayers

UK sees biggest fall in consumer confidence for 26 years after Brexit vote

https://www.theguardian.com/business...er-brexit-vote

In the real world:

Consumer spending increased in wake of Brexit vote

Consumer spending increased in wake of Brexit vote - ITV News

you can't see it but I have a smug smile..

amideislas Aug 8th 2016 6:23 pm

Good job we're leaving that mess.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 8th 2016 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12022480)
Good job we're leaving that mess.

Ain't that a fact. :thumbup:

Vexcore Aug 9th 2016 12:12 am

Boo yah!

When Reality sets in, it will be fine in the 'long term'

I know this sounds daft to many... but i would love to get my hands on a 'BRITISH PASSPORT' bring back the blue baby.

That time we'll know BREXIT IS BREXIT lol right?

Red Eric Aug 9th 2016 7:17 am

So what are you waiting for? You've had the referendum, the result was clear, Brexit is Brexit - what's the holdup?

Annetje Aug 9th 2016 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12022700)
Boo yah!

When Reality sets in, it will be fine in the 'long term'

I know this sounds daft to many... but i would love to get my hands on a 'BRITISH PASSPORT' bring back the blue baby.

That time we'll know BREXIT IS BREXIT lol right?

Make sure your Britisch passport is big enough for all the visa's you will need in futur :-)

amideislas Aug 9th 2016 7:38 am

12 reasons not to panic about Brexit