British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Mar 18th 2017 10:41 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12207541)
I think that would apply to a Treasonable Act DLD...it would surely cause uproar in the UK if they tried that one on. Far too many Brits have interests abroad and or are married to none Brits. Even Boris is an American despite his attempts to give up his citizenship.Farage has a German wife. Clegg's wife is Spanish and so on...

As stated above, it could only happen if a person with dual nationality committed a serious crime, and it was against the interest of the UK for that person to remain in the UK.

(I believe Boris did have dual nationality I think he renounced USA though?)

EMR Mar 18th 2017 11:20 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12207539)
A well-considered position paper from the EU, which provides a hard - and pragmatic - look at Brexit. It demolishes much of the rhetoric the Tories and their allies are churning out at the moment. Well worth a read, especially in the absence of any position paper from the UK government at the present time.

EU Brexit assessment

Certainly worth a read, not sure that ultra brexiters would agree.

DaveLovesDee Mar 18th 2017 11:24 am

An opinion piece in the Guardian by Jonathan Freedman

The leave fanatics will have their hard Brexit – even if the price is the union

Dick Dasterdly Mar 18th 2017 12:40 pm

According to Verhofstadt, the chief Brexit negotiator, the three main causes for the likely Eu breakup are Putin, Trump and Extreme Islam.

Though in a separate statement he claimed that the obsession with an Eu Superstate could well have the same effect.

:cool:

EMR Mar 18th 2017 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12207597)
According to Verhofstadt, the chief Brexit negotiator, the three main causes for the likely Eu breakup are Putin, Trump and Extreme Islam.

Though in a separate statement he claimed that the obsession with an Eu Superstate could well have the same effect.

Your source is What?

Red Eric Mar 18th 2017 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12207597)

Your obsession with an EU superstate won't have the effect of breaking up the EU though.

Just imagine that, eh? The UK out and the rest all getting on with the things they've wanted but have been held back from. What a Super State of affairs that would be.

And you could still get to keep your obsession. Wins all round.

EMR Mar 18th 2017 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12207599)
Your obsession with an EU superstate won't have the effect of breaking up the EU though.

Just imagine that, eh? The UK out and the rest all getting on with the things they've wanted but have been held back from. What a Super State of affairs that would be.

And you could still get to keep your obsession. Wins all round.

I think he is referring to an article in January ( Politico )in which the ex Belgian PM believes that Brexit will be a golden opportunity for the EU.
But it's Dick so we should not expect him to actually read anything in full.

Novocastrian Mar 18th 2017 1:32 pm

A well-considered position paper from the EU, which provides a hard - and pragmatic - look at Brexit. It demolishes much of the rhetoric the Tories and their allies are churning out at the moment. Well worth a read, especially in the absence of any position paper from the UK government at the present time.

EU Brexit assessment

Thanks for that link Dave, I've just finished reading it.

Says it all really.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 18th 2017 1:35 pm

The inevitability of what is happening now, was obvious to many of us years ago when it was clear that the Eu was heading in the wrong direction.

Unfortunately it is only now that the power obsessed self elected big chiefs in Brussels are beginnng to face up to reality.

Desperately looking to salvage something from the wreckage they have come up with this hopeless idea of a two tier Eu, allowing some countries to do their own thing,
(which incidentally some of them already have been doing for the past couple of years, regardless of orders from Brussels)
and in turn hoping that the rest will stick together and follow the failing Superstate plan.

I fear it's going to be a slow and painful death for the Eu, as ever more countries say enough is enough and concentrate on putting their own needs first.

Lion in Winter Mar 18th 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12207614)
The inevitability of what is happening now, was obvious to many of us years ago when it was clear that the Eu was heading in the wrong direction.

Unfortunately it is only now that the power obsessed self elected big chiefs in Brussels are beginnng to face up to reality.

Desperately looking to salvage something from the wreckage they have come up with this hopeless idea of a two tier Eu, allowing some countries to do their own thing,
(which incidentally some of them already have been doing for the past couple of years, regardless of orders from Brussels)
and in turn hoping that the rest will stick together and follow the failing Superstate plan.

I fear it's going to be a slow and painful death as ever more countries say enough is enough and concentrate on putting their own needs first.

For goodness sake stop moaning and obsessing about the EU. The UK, if it remains a UK, is leaving and our role there will be over bar the exit throes. Instead of an "us" it will be back to "us and them". It's what you wanted and our say in how it works is over. Move on. Leave it to the rest of us who actually want to live in the UK to ponder what happens to us next.

DaveLovesDee Mar 18th 2017 1:45 pm

Yes, the UK has done for the last 20 years.

DaveLovesDee Mar 18th 2017 1:49 pm

Can I ask our learned Brexit supporters why a federal EU is a bad thing, when it works mostly very well in U.S. in balancing the power of each individual U.S. state and territory against the power of the federal government.

Novocastrian Mar 18th 2017 2:11 pm

Oops!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...record-numbers

Red Eric Mar 18th 2017 2:23 pm

They've come up with 5 possible paths ahead - why are you concentrating only on that one?

Quite apart from which, that particular one would appear to at least remove the grounds for any complaints about dictatorship. It's certainly flushed out some of the hypocrisy already! :thumbup: Nobody so far wants to be in the group that doesn't adopt everything :thumbsup: So presumably, if all 27 Remainers want to go full steam ahead, there'll be no more complaining about the joint decisions taken :amen:

la mancha Mar 18th 2017 2:30 pm

EU Brexit assessment

I have read your link (I think it is the same as Annetje’s), which, one must consider, is a European Parliament document, and it clearly shows the EU is terrified of Brexit. What this document also tells us is that the people of the European Union are going to be sacrificed on the altar of politics rather than economics. In other words, the people do not matter when EU unity is in the balance. I find it a disgrace the way this document avoids telling the people of the European Union what Brexit will mean for them in each of these scenarios. I can only conclude that the EU do not want to tell the people. I leave it to your own conclusions as to why.