British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

morpeth Mar 6th 2017 2:12 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12197893)
Both sides claim their views are "Widely acknowledged"!

What we "gave" the Commonwealth in terms of language and left behind infrastructure is nothing to the amount of wealth and lives we took from them! Your view is a gross insult, but don't let's start up that again.:lol:

(What customs given were you thinking of?)

'Remainers on here, frequently castigating those who mention 'the war', why do they refer back to the Commonwealth in this way. Can you not appreciate that as countries of the EU put the past conflicts behind them so have the Commonwealth countries---This is 2017!!!

Many customs- military tradition and organization, political and legal system, yes infrastructure, educational system,- were due to the British, I hardly see how that is a gross insult to he pointed out these things- and evidently India doesn't think so , as otherwise they would be rejecting all this and going back to their way of being prior to the arrival of the British. Sure there were negatives as well, no one denies that.

All this deserves its own thread though. I thought the poster simply pointing out because of the past the Commonwealth countries and Britain would have a lot of commonalties to build upon in future trade deals.

olivefarmer Mar 6th 2017 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12198251)
Here is her party's immigration policy:-

-A reduction in legal immigration to France from the current 200,000 a year to 10,000.

-A ban on automatic immigration rights to join a spouse or family member residing legally in France.

-An end to the European Schengen Area, which gives free cross-border movement, and reinstatement of border checks.

-A toughening of the requirements to get French citizenship, which the FN says should not be automatic, while insisting that applicants demonstrate a strong commitment to France and its language.

-Zero tolerance of illegal immigration and an end to illegal immigrants’ rights to remain in France if they have been in the country for a given period.

-Priority to be given to French citizens over foreigners for jobs and for social housing.

-Banning dual nationality for non-Europeans, which would particularly affect citizens of former French colonies in Africa.

NB. About a half of the 200,000 immigrants per year are from the EU (mostly from Portugal).

Not much wrong with that list unless you are a liberal. They are the ones that got us into the mess the Western world is in. We just don't learn as is demonstrated by the vitriol against Brexit for example, demonstrated by many on here typing from their sheltered and insular ivory towers forecasting more doom and gloom unless we toe the line. If only those liberals had realised and helped steer a middle course. Too late now , at least for a few years when the pendulum has settled.

SultanOfSwing Mar 6th 2017 2:22 pm

Oh great, edgy right wingers are here. This should tide us over until kicking out time in Spain :rolleyes:

Bipat Mar 6th 2017 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12198345)
Many customs- military tradition and organization, political and legal system, yes infrastructure, educational system,- were due to the British, I hardly see how that is a gross insult to he pointed out these things- and evidently India doesn't think so , as otherwise they would be rejecting all this and going back to their way of being prior to the arrival of the British. Sure there were negatives as well, no one denies that.

All this deserves its own thread though. I thought the poster simply pointing out because of the past the Commonwealth countries and Britain would have a lot of commonalties to build upon in future trade deals.

The things you mention were imposed under duress, taxation to fund UK, millions of deaths etc. they were not there for charity. We have been through this before so, off topic.
It is now history, why on earth would they want to go back 200 years, Everything is different to what it was 70 years ago. The education system, is entirely different, politics some similarity. Old buildings still there, infrastructure totally different, organisation--State system different.

I replied to the poster Dave/Dee and understood what he was saying.
Yes trade deals will be because of shared history and present day understanding.

You did realise that it is the 70th anniversary?

morpeth Mar 6th 2017 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12198355)
The things you mention were imposed under duress, taxation to fund UK, millions of deaths etc. they were not there for charity. We have been through this before so, off topic.
It is now history, why on earth would they want to go back 200 years, Everything is different to what it was 70 years ago. The education system, is entirely different, politics some similarity. Old buildings still there, infrastructure totally different, organisation--State system different.

I replied to the poster Dave/Dee and understood what he was saying.
Yes trade deals will be because of shared history and present day understanding.

You did realise that it is the 70th anniversary?

Yes to a large degree off topic, and if India doesn't like all these things imposed you as say under duress, I am quite curious why India doesn't return to it's own traditions of education. social relations, law, politics, etc etc. One may debate the degree of what was good and what was bad about India's colonial experience, but as India prefers much of the system adopted form the British certainly that is fairly objective proof Indian's themselves recognize the benefits.

Does India's trade relations with other Commonwealth countries gave any indication of how a new trade deal with the UK would be structured ?

Fredbargate Mar 6th 2017 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12198200)
There are many, many reasons why all sorts of people have one or another objection to some aspect of the EU which could be interpreted as them saying "it's gone too far down the wrong road". However, freedom of movement seems to be one of the biggest bones of contention for the loudest of the British moaners, and with specific regard to that I wouldn't agree at all that, for the other member states, freedom of movement of EU citizens within the EU is seen as anywhere near as contentious.

Being a citizen of the EU that is something I have always dreamed of.

Assanah Mar 6th 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12198084)
Wasn't it the European Coal and Steel Community, followed by the 6 founding EEC countries that gave birth to a "PEACE" project.---Maastricht Treaty was the birth of the EU and a political and economic Union/club.
Are you saying without the UK, the EU countries could end up with a war???

(EU and Europe not synonymous!)

I wasn't using EU and Europe synonymous.

And no I don't think the EU without the UK could end up in war but without the EU the changes of discord are higher. The EU until now has been successfully preventing the resurgence of nationalism. But maybe the UK will be the country to lead Europe down that shit hole again.

InVinoVeritas Mar 6th 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12198325)
Vino tells me I'm wrong, citing Marine Le Pen's immigration policy. However, Le Pen's support is only around 25%, which means 75% are against her

No it doesn't at all. In fact, as of today the first round voting intentions put Le Pen's at 27%, which is actually the highest of all the candidates.

But when it comes to the second round (assuming Le Pen goes through) then an astonishing 78% of her initial supporters will vote for her again which is much higher than for any other candidate. Since only one other candidate can go through to the second vote, there will be lots of swing voters in play and the fear amongst EU politicians is that they will swing behind Le Pen.

The polls say Le Pen will only get 45% and thus lose but no-one yet knows who her competition will be and, as we know, pollsters are currently not very good at predicting a populist vote when their model is based on historic voting behaviour.

If we can't agree on anything else in this thread, I assume no-one disputes the EU is going to be on life-support if Le Pen wins. At that point, there will be no-one left in the game to blame except an EU which has been incapable, unable or unwilling to respond to its people's demands.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 6th 2017 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12198377)

And no I don't think the EU without the UK could end up in war but without the EU the changes of discord are higher. The EU until now has been successfully preventing the resurgence of nationalism. But maybe the UK will be the country to lead Europe down that shit hole again.

The EU is the cause of of the resurgence of nationalism.

Otherwise spot on.

Bipat Mar 6th 2017 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12198364)
Yes to a large degree off topic, and if India doesn't like all these things imposed you as say under duress, I am quite curious why India doesn't return to it's own traditions of education. social relations, law, politics, etc etc. One may debate the degree of what was good and what was bad about India's colonial experience, but as India prefers much of the system adopted form the British certainly that is fairly objective proof Indian's themselves recognize the benefits.

Does India's trade relations with other Commonwealth countries gave any indication of how a new trade deal with the UK would be structured ?

I just said--- why would India --(why would the UK) return to systems in place 200 years ago?----You did not read---it is not using British systems of education, other systems are quite different they have progressed in a quite different and individual way since independence. Of course there were some benefits but nothing outweighs the looting, and poverty resulting which is past history and off topic.

There has been plenty of discussion on this thread and the second thread as to how trade already exists and how new trade deals are under discussion, with UK and EU.

Bipat Mar 6th 2017 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12198377)

It depends how you define nationalism, being proud of your country wanting to rule/organise it, having your own systems while at the same time respecting other countries right to do the same is---"Shit"??

amideislas Mar 6th 2017 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12198407)
It depends how you define nationalism, being proud of your country wanting to rule/organise it, having your own systems while at the same time respecting other countries right to do the same is---"Shit"??

Being proud of your country (nationalism) is absolutely positive. And Britain has always ruled Britain, so it's a false premise to suggest Britain is ruled by some sort of foreign "dictatorship".

Reckless nationalism, or paranoid, destructive protectionism in the name of nationalism is a very different kettle of fish.

jimenato Mar 6th 2017 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12198411)
Being proud of your country (nationalism) is absolutely positive. And Britain has always ruled Britain, so it's a false premise to suggest Britain is ruled by some sort of foreign "dictatorship".

Reckless nationalism, or paranoid, destructive protectionism in the name of nationalism is a very different kettle of fish.

Isn't being proud of your country patriotism?

amideislas Mar 6th 2017 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12198416)
Isn't being proud of your country patriotism?

Yes, I reckon just as much as "nationalism". I'd just call it "national pride".

DaveLovesDee Mar 6th 2017 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12198345)

It does have it's own thread!

And you read into my post exactly what was intended.

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12198399)
I just said--- why would India --(why would the UK) return to systems in place 200 years ago?----You did not read---it is not using British systems of education, other systems are quite different they have progressed in a quite different and individual way since independence. Of course there were some benefits but nothing outweighs the looting, and poverty resulting which is past history and off topic.

There has been plenty of discussion on this thread and the second thread as to how trade already exists and how new trade deals are under discussion, with UK and EU.

I did say based-on.

Perhaps regarding the bad parts of UK-Indian history, we should also be pissed at what the Romans did to the UK?