British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

GeniB Aug 2nd 2016 6:08 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12017612)
Truth hurts eh ?

That is just the tip of the iceberg of the reason why I can't for the life of me understand why anyone with a single ounce of self respect would support such a despicable regime regardless of any financial implications, but I'm still waiting and hoping that someone will eventually try to give me a credible explanation.

Dick you STILL haven't answered the question of (a) where did you work in the Eu ? what is your experience? ' and (b) How have you come by this incredible insider knowledge of the workings of the Brussels parliament. I don't think even garage could match your insights and that's saying something

TGA Aug 2nd 2016 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12018234)
The House of Lords has just called for a second referendum

rubbish!

paulry Aug 2nd 2016 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12018234)
The House of Lords has just called for a second referendum

It wouldn't surprise me, they're an unelected bunch - just like the EU Commission and should be the next ones to go.

Wol Aug 2nd 2016 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12018241)
Dick you STILL haven't answered the question of (a) where did you work in the Eu ? what is your experience? ' and (b) How have you come by this incredible insider knowledge of the workings of the Brussels parliament. I don't think even garage could match your insights and that's saying something

Assuming that's not a typo and that you mean Nigel Farage I suggest that after years in the EU parliament he probably knows just a little about the EU's machinations. He certainly runs rings around anyone he's interviewed with about the facts.

Good article in the DT today reminding us of one of the underlying reasons why so many thinking individuals voted to get away from the self entitled EU. BTW I have a relative who works in the EU and he displays exactly the groupthink that will not (cannot?) see any faults in its structure.

EU pensions are a self-indulgent relic, just like the EU itself, and a reminder of why we voted Leave

amideislas Aug 3rd 2016 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12017612)
Truth hurts eh ?

That is just the tip of the iceberg of the reason why I can't for the life of me understand why anyone with a single ounce of self respect would support such a despicable regime regardless of any financial implications, but I'm still waiting and hoping that someone will eventually try to give me a credible explanation.

Meanwhile...

U.K., Eurozone Part Ways on Brexit Confidence Impact

The confidence survey is in line with other measures of Brexit’s immediate impact on the U.K. and eurozone economies.

A measure of activity based on questioning of purchasing managers at manufacturers and services companies found the U.K. economy likely contracted in July as businesses responded to the uncertainty created by the Brexit vote by cutting output and payrolls, while the eurozone economy continued to grow as businesses added to their payrolls at the fastest pace in more than five years.

amideislas Aug 3rd 2016 1:03 pm

Brexit Deals Heavy Hit to U.K. Economy But Eurozone Holds Up

LONDON (AP) — Britain's economy appears to be shrinking at its fastest pace since the global financial crisis as a result of the vote to leave the European Union, but the rest of the region is holding up, surveys showed Friday.

"July saw a dramatic deterioration in the economy, with business activity slumping at the fastest rate since the height of the global financial crisis in early-2009," said Chris Williamson, chief economist at Markit. "The downturn, whether manifesting itself in order book cancellations, a lack of new orders or the postponement or halting of projects, was most commonly attributed in one way or another to 'Brexit.'"

By contrast, the equivalent index for the 19-country eurozone dropped to 52.9 points from 53.1 in June. The drop was relatively small and suggests continued economic growth of around 1.5 percent annually.

Every part of the UK economy is now shrinking post-Brexit

Every major constituent of UK economy is now shrinking in the wake of Britain's vote to leave the European Union.

Meanwhile, figures released on Wednesday also show the eurozone economy has been largely untouched by the Brexit decision. Economically, Britain has cut off its nose to spite its face.

paulry Aug 3rd 2016 1:24 pm

Meanwhile....

four-pillars-of-the-eu-are-crumbling-but-it-still-hasnt-noticed

amideislas Aug 3rd 2016 1:48 pm

EU support surges after brexit - The Australian.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 3rd 2016 11:48 pm

Brexit contagion: UK vote raises fears of a tsunami of EU membership referendums

Wol Aug 4th 2016 12:32 am

Just over a month since the result. Does the report reflect that month, or previous ones?

In any case, only a fool would expect no financial effects from such a decision. It's interesting that such a tiny country's referendum would have had such an impact worldwide, isn't it, when we were repeatedly told by our elders (well, not in MY case) and betters (possible ditto) that Britain was such an insignificant little place it couldn't stand on its own two feet.

TGA Aug 4th 2016 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 12019369)
that Britain was such an insignificant little place it couldn't stand on its own two feet.

Yes, that really does stick in the craw of some very bitter twisted folk.

TGA Aug 5th 2016 5:05 am

Britain will succeed after Brexit insists Bank of England boss Mark Carney | UK | News | Daily Express

Britain will suceed after Brexit insists Bank chief

Governor Mark Carney said Britain could “handle” Brexit and insisted there was no danger of a recession.
Referring to the outcome of the referendum, he spoke of the resilience of the British people and said the economy would continue to grow.

While the Brexit vote had signalled “regime change”, he said Britain’s economy was in a healthy position.
A range of measures, including further quantitative easing, would help stimulate the economy and encourage lending, he said.
“There will be less unemployment, more activity and a greater prospect of a successful adjustment to the new reality the UK faces.”
That'll cheer most people up

Red Eric Aug 5th 2016 7:03 am

I expect he's probably trying to Talk Britain Up. However...

A range of measures, including further quantitative easing, would help stimulate the economy and encourage lending, he said.
“There will be less unemployment, more activity and a greater prospect of a successful adjustment to the new reality the UK faces.”
...the words "quantitative easing" are regularly spat out on here as though it's a terrible thing (besides always being Gordon Brown's fault). And the phrase "adjustment to the new reality" has a bit of foreboding about it.

I'm not trying to Talk Britain Down here, of course. Just pointing out that it isn't boundless joy that's being predicted here if you read it carefully. And it assumes that the BOE and the government see eye to eye and act accordingly and in cooperation.

amideislas Aug 5th 2016 7:16 am

Such economic optimism (as published in the daily express, mind you) is entirely dependent on how "brexit" is executed. The outcome of that could maintain stability, or go horribly wrong.

I doubt however, that any government would knowingly choose the latter, which strongly suggests Carney has confidence that the outcome will more likely resemble status quo.

Editha Aug 5th 2016 7:39 am

The readers of the Daily Express may be comforted, but not anyone who fears that their job may be one of the 250,000 job losses still predicted by the BoE, even after the emergency measures taken yesterday.

Nor will the Daily Express's selective quoting of Carney be of much comfort to pensioners, anyone about to retire, or anyone else living on interest from savings.

The further fall in the pound is also bad news for anyone going abroad on holiday this summer, and all of us when it feeds through into inflation.