British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

TGA Aug 1st 2016 6:05 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

The problem is the remainers are destined to blame every thing negative that happens in the UK on brexit. Its quite sad really.

DaveLovesDee Aug 1st 2016 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12017365)
The problem is the remainers are destined to blame every thing negative that happens in the UK on brexit. Its quite sad really.

No more sad than Leavers claiming the Brevity vote has had no impact on the UK at all.

mmmmbuti Aug 1st 2016 7:52 pm

I think it's in the country best interest to find a way to overturn the referendum result once everyone realizes how much we actually need the EU. This is a self inflicted catastrophe, but there is still time to avoid it. Call a general election, and let a party which has a clear intention of staying in the EU stated in its manifesto win. This way the referendom result would get superseded by a clear electoral mandate to remain. The UK needs the EU to survive in this new nasty, globalist era. Face it, you are all Europeans even if you refuse to feel so.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 1st 2016 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by mmmmbuti (Post 12017422)
I think it's in the country best interest to find a way to overturn the referendum result once everyone realizes how much we actually need the EU. This is a self inflicted catastrophe, but there is still time to avoid it. Call a general election, and let a party which has a clear intention of staying in the EU stated in its manifesto win. This way the referendom result would get superseded by a clear electoral mandate to remain. The UK needs the EU to survive in this new nasty, globalist era. Face it, you are all Europeans even if you refuse to feel so.

:rofl:

You do like your little joke. ;)

The UK needs the EU like a hole in the head, though the reverse is already clearly proving to be the case.

The sooner we are well clear of the rotten to the core dictatorial sinking ship that is the EU before it goes finally implodes and goes under, the better IMHO. :cool:

paulry Aug 1st 2016 9:14 pm

:rofl: You're bonkers. British voters have had decades to think about and see that EU membership is not in their interests.

The people have spoken, it's time to stop whining and get with the programme. :thumbup:

amideislas Aug 1st 2016 9:28 pm

You seem to be forgetting that the referendum result favoured brexit. Frankly, despite the dubious platform that led to that result, ignoring it could only result in even more significant political turmoil.

And the enthusiasm from the European side to keep Britain the the club is waning. I think there's little choice moving forward. So, I believe Britain is just going to have to suck it up and accept the consequences. It voted for it, so now have it.

Britain really didn't belong there anyway. It has always feared a successful Europe, and will always be a barrier to that, so although nobody gains from brexit, Europe at least, is probably better off in the long run without that burden.

And a healthy, successful Europe can only benefit Britain, despite Britain's fears of being marginalised by it, even though Britain's marginalisation is solely the result of Britain's own phobias. But that doesn't matter now.

Like the brexiters keep saying, "brexit is brexit". So, yeah, do it please, so everybody else can get on with it.

Unfortunately, it's far more complicated than that. For Britain anyway.

morpeth Aug 1st 2016 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12017438)
:rofl:

You do like your little joke. ;)

The UK needs the EU like a hole in the head, though the reverse is already clearly proving to be the case.

The sooner we are well clear of the rotten to the core dictatorial sinking ship that is the EU before it goes finally implodes and goes under, the better IMHO. :cool:

Is there a serious economic study that outlines in a convincing way that it is negative Brexit ? And if so does it consider the very terms of Britain's exit may determine whether in the long run the exit is beneficial or not ? Then there is the potential political effect of staying in the long run considering trends in Europe ? Most Europeans I know expect in a generation or two the EU will collapse from civil war with Muslim immigrants, or the costs of trying to maintain social benefits at a level the economy cannot support. If that sentiment is correct will Britain be in a better position in the long run to navigate its way through future issues ?

I don't pretend I could argue in a convincing way whether remaining or leaving is unequivocally better.

amideislas Aug 1st 2016 9:42 pm

Where do you live? In Europe? Or the UK?

mmmmbuti Aug 1st 2016 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12017468)
:rofl: You're bonkers. British voters have had decades to think about and see that EU membership is not in their interests.

The people have spoken, it's time to stop whining and get with the programme. :thumbup:

British voters had decades to be misled and lied to by their tabloids anti EU propaganda. Now they will face the hard reality, and they shall have the right to change their mind.

You seem to be forgetting that the referendum result favoured brexit.
I'm not forgetting it. But when a new general election is called, the parties competing it will not be bound anymore by the referendum result. I understand in the UK no parliament has the power to prevent the ones that follow it to overturn its decisions.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 1st 2016 11:53 pm

Have they been misled about the EU being controlled by a bunch of unelected dictatorial incompetent misfits making one catastrophic decision after another, taking us somewhere we have no wish to go and lead by a pisshead anti Brit alcoholic who openly admits to being a liar and anti democratic ?

mmmmbuti Aug 1st 2016 11:55 pm

This message is hidden because Dick Dasterdly is on your ignore list.
Don't bother Dick, you are in my ignore list, and you are there to stay.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 2nd 2016 12:40 am

Originally Posted by mmmmbuti (Post 12017591)
Don't bother Dick, you are in my ignore list, and you are there to stay.

Truth hurts eh ?

That is just the tip of the iceberg of the reason why I can't for the life of me understand why anyone with a single ounce of self respect would support such a despicable regime regardless of any financial implications, but I'm still waiting and hoping that someone will eventually try to give me a credible explanation.

DaveLovesDee Aug 2nd 2016 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12017612)
still waiting and hoping that someone will eventually try to give me a credible explanation.

Dick's asking for a credible explanation.

Oh, the irony.......

Scamp Aug 2nd 2016 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12017612)
Truth hurts eh ?

That is just the tip of the iceberg of the reason why I can't for the life of me understand why anyone with a single ounce of self respect would support such a despicable regime regardless of any financial implications, but I'm still waiting and hoping that someone will eventually try to give me a credible explanation.

If had the mental capacity, someone might have tried.

GeniB Aug 2nd 2016 6:03 pm

The House of Lords has just called for a second referendum