British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

TGA Jul 27th 2016 7:58 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12013021)
I bet they want to shout positive news, they're still 20% down on share price since the vote.

proof of the damage the project fear idiots can do.

Scamp Jul 27th 2016 8:00 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12013031)
proof of the damage the project fear idiots can do.

Oh dear.

Dick Dasterdly Jul 28th 2016 1:29 pm

Everybody's Investing in Brexit Britain - Guido Fawkes Euro Guido

GeniB Jul 28th 2016 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12014203)

No their not Dick-- Just look at the name.. His ancestor tried to blow up parliament.:eek: Go home and stare at the cat

Editha Jul 28th 2016 3:52 pm

Guido's claim that the LSE/Deutsche Börse merger is 'a vote endorsing London as the financial capital of the world' is just hyperbole and quite misleading.

Before the deal, Germany's financial regulator said that post-Brexit, the headquarters of the combined company would have to be in Germany. It is likely that the headquarters will be moved to Frankfurt, with inevitable loss of jobs in the UK

Dick Dasterdly Jul 29th 2016 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12014333)
Guido's claim that the LSE/Deutsche Börse merger is 'a vote endorsing London as the financial capital of the world' is just hyperbole and quite misleading.

Before the deal, Germany's financial regulator said that post-Brexit, the headquarters of the combined company would have to be in Germany. It is likely that the headquarters will be moved to Frankfurt, with inevitable loss of jobs in the UK

Wishful thinking on behalf of Germany's financial director.

I won't bore you with the endless list of companies and banks which were predicted to move out of London during the fearmongering campaign and have since decided otherwise.

Suffice to say that almost everything that's happened post referendum indicates business as normal in London and in some cases improved. :cool:

amideislas Jul 29th 2016 12:35 am

Ohhh Dicky boy.

There is little evidence to suggest that Britain will somehow "flourish" post-brexit (if it actually happens). I know you want to take a "positive" view, but the facts don't really support it. Relax, though, your current place of residence has a bit better promise.

Britain voted out. So be it. But really, don't pin your hopes on the little "good" news tabloid media can manage to find. There just isn't much for anyone to celebrate about. Britain is in for a rather shitty ride for the foreseeable future. It's what we voted for. Live with it.

Dick Dasterdly Jul 29th 2016 12:52 am

You are obviously the one who is losing sleep over it Ami, not me,
though if you were honest with yourself for once, your main worry is clearly your future embarrassment that Brexit will be a success.

Most of the pre referendum fearmongering predictions have already been put to bed, with almost all companies which were forcast or threatened to leave, already having changed their mind.

Onwards and Upwards as the free pioneering country we have always been. :thumbsup:

Scamp Jul 31st 2016 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12014672)
You are obviously the one who is losing sleep over it Ami, not me,
though if you were honest with yourself for once, your main worry is clearly your future embarrassment that Brexit will be a success.

Most of the pre referendum fearmongering predictions have already been put to bed, with almost all companies which were forcast or threatened to leave, already having changed their mind.

Onwards and Upwards as the free pioneering country we have always been. :thumbsup:

Big businesses, fortunately, are much more intelligent than you.

They understand that nothing has actually happened yet. Therefore why make a decision which will impact earnings and shareholder support without any of the information?

At least wait for what Brexit will look like before making any decisions.
Hopefully, major investment and corporations will stay in the UK because Brexit will foster a positive economic relationship with Europe and leave those companies wanting to be based, or have a base, in the UK.

But until Brexit actually happens, it's really hard to say.

amideislas Jul 31st 2016 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12014672)

The realities of Brexit are only just beginning to emerge. In fact, there's more evidence now that the numerous warnings ("scaremongering") were in fact very real, than anytime before the referendum.

So, it's still a bit early to claim 'victory', or start rewriting history.

Dick Dasterdly Jul 31st 2016 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12016248)
The realities of Brexit are only just beginning to emerge. In fact, there's more evidence now that the numerous warnings ("scaremongering") were in fact very real, than anytime before the referendum.

So, it's still a bit early to claim 'victory', or start rewriting history.

There are NO realities of Brexit, until such time as it is up and running and possibly for quite a while after that,
however there are effects of the referendum, albeit many of them temporary.

In general I find most of these effects are nowhere even remotely close to the doom and gloom forecasts that were bandied about by Downing St, Brussels and certain sections of B.E. ;)

Scamp Aug 1st 2016 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12016367)
There are NO realities of Brexit, until such time as it is up and running and possibly for quite a while after that,

In general I find most of these effects are nowhere even remotely close to the doom and gloom forecasts that were bandied about by Downing St, Brussels and certain sections of B.E. ;)

It would be interesting to hear what either side said about the time between a result and any action. I doubt either said much at all.

So really, you're just talking nonsense.

Fredbargate Aug 1st 2016 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12016367)

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12016808)
It would be interesting to hear what either side said about the time between a result and any action. I doubt either said much at all.

So really, you're just talking nonsense.

I think Dick has hit the nail on the head

mmmmbuti Aug 1st 2016 4:04 pm

Sure, that it's true in BreexiteerFantasyWorld. Meanwhile, in the real world....

https://next.ft.com/content/b832a75c...5-4eaa66292c32

UK manufacturing output falls sharply following Brexit vote

The surge in UK manufacturing output in the second quarter went into reverse in July following the vote for Brexit, with industrial production experiencing its sharpest decline for almost four years, according to a key survey of business activity.

amideislas Aug 1st 2016 4:12 pm

Britain’s diplomatic quest for Brexit enters ‘phoney war’

One senior European figure involved in the talks said: “We’ve not even worked out what all the questions are, let alone found the potential answers.”

Another said they “did not expect much progress in 2017”, especially given elections and the fact Britain was “nowhere” in deciding its position.

A third senior official compared the current period of preparations to the eight-month “phoney” conflict after the start of the second world war. “For all sorts of reasons we will want to finish this all before the June 2019 elections [for the European Parliament]. But that will be very, very tight. The complexity is vastly underestimated unless you want to be brutal and cut off ties.”

One EU diplomat at the heart of preparations said: “They have to sort themselves out. They come from London and they don’t know what they want. They don’t know what their government wants, what their parliament wants. They have not prepared.”