Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I partly agree.

But it is also the UK I grew up in, with the neo-Nazis parading, the Saturday-night "Paki bashing" - and equally, the response of normal, decent people to shut it down. It is always possible for the unscrupulous to whip up the fear of foreigners and general nastiness, unfortunately. But I am angry and embarrassed today, explaining this garbage to my American colleagues here at work. Not proud at all today. And yes, sad.

However, giving up is out of the question. These idiots cannot have my country.
Why do you think that having equal rules for Non-EU and EU immigrants is something to be embarrassed about?

All countries in the world have restrictions as to who can live/work in their country. Why should one group be favoured over another who may actually have more needed skills?

Do you think a small island should allow any/all who wish to come just arrive, be housed, schooled, receive state medical care?

Those of immigrant origin settled in the UK also have an interest in the democratic, sovereignty of the UK, the older generations were brought up on it in their 'colonial schools'
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:19 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

The main source of xenophobia comes from the EU itself, treating those from outside its control area as second or third class citizens.

Please enlighten me as to why it can't treat everyone in the same ?
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Why do you think that having equal rules for Non-EU and EU immigrants is something to be embarrassed about?

All countries in the world have restrictions as to who can live/work in their country. Why should one group be favoured over another who may actually have more needed skills?

Do you think a small island should allow any/all who wish to come just arrive, be housed, schooled, receive state medical care?

Those of immigrant origin settled in the UK also have an interest in the democratic, sovereignty of the UK, the older generations were brought up on it in their 'colonial schools'
I'm sorry, but I'm not prepared to rehash this entire thread all over again.

Leave has won, and that is a fact. There will be economic fallout, which is also a fact. Equally, those in charge are the exact same people who were in charge before and they don't give a damn about your priorities or mine either way.

Whatever the result of the referendum, the nature of the debate was vile and un-British, and I will speak up against that always. Sorry.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post
The main source of xenophobia comes from the EU itself, treating those from outside its control area as second or third class citizens.

Please enlighten me as to why it can't treat everyone in the same ?
You appear to be turning into a left winger Dick.

Congratulations.

Nice pivot.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:25 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

You appear to be turning into a left winger Dick.

Congratulations.

Nice pivot.
No answer to that one eh ?

People who live in glass houses............
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
You completely (and predictably) misunderstood my entire post. Wonderful job, there.
I was commenting on the words you used.
Explain then--if I misunderstood.
What did you mean by "colonial immigrants" and "once the most powerful nation on the planet"?
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:32 pm

No answer to that one eh ?

People who live in glass houses............

I think we've covered this before.

Nonsensical questions have no answers.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:38 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I was commenting on the words you used.
Explain then--if I misunderstood.
What did you mean by "colonial immigrants" and "once the most powerful nation on the planet"?
Colonial immigrants - people from the former British Empire, very few of them found their way to Northern Ireland. Hong Kong aside, last I checked, China was not part of said empire.

The UK, at the height of the Empire, was the most powerful nation in the world. Fact. Not a debate of the rights and wrongs of Empire building, just stating a fact. The leave campaign winning a vote based on fear is not representative of a nation that once held such power.

That's the last time I explain a post, learn to read in future.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:41 pm

Colonial immigrants - people from the former British Empire, very few of them found their way to Northern Ireland. Hong Kong aside, last I checked, China was not part of said empire.

The UK, at the height of the Empire, was the most powerful nation in the world. Fact. Not a debate of the rights and wrongs of Empire building, just stating a fact. The leave campaign winning a vote based on fear is not representative of a nation that once held such power.

I'm now given to understand by Dick that what Leave/Nige wanted was for us to fear all foreigners equally.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:46 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm now given to understand by Dick that what Leave/Nige wanted was for us to fear all foreigners equally.
I don't really think they know what they want. They're like a cat that's caught a mouse and doesn't really want to eat it - it'll just bat it around for a bit, then leave it dead in the yard for the crows to pick at.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:47 pm
On the road again.

The remain camp backed the fear campaign big time and failed miserably.
Get over it.

What's wrong with treating all the people of the world equally and fairly, unlike the EU, which is more shades of the master race ?
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Vlad Putin is in the middle of a week long Shanghai Cooperation Agreement conference of Heads of State where India is an attending member for the first time ever. And next week he is off to China for military cooperation meetings. There is no chance he has even time or energy to do any more than simply be informed about the situation in Europe. When he has multiple meetings with heads of state every day for the next several days.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I can read. When the posts above are complaining about xenophobic Brexiters, I questioned your apparent praising of the Empire Britain---'that they wouldn't have stooped to running a campaign based on fear', when in fact they got power because of it.
If I misunderstood and you were not praising---apologies.

(I have heard present day immigrants say that they cannot understand a country 'great' like Britain is now allowing itself to be ruled by the EU!

(Quite a number of immigrants from Empire countries settled in Northern Ireland from 1920s/30s onwards)
Old Jun 24th 2016, 6:06 pm

The remain camp backed the fear campaign big time and failed miserably.
Get over it.

What's wrong with treating all the people of the world equally and fairly, unlike the EU, which is more shades of the master race ?

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jun 24th 2016 at 6:08 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 6:09 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

These several videos I have now seen of people who voted 'leave' being all sad about Britain leaving winning, and regretting it, would be laughable if it wasn't so laughable for other reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.