British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Jun 24th 2016 5:18 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11982940)
I partly agree.

But it is also the UK I grew up in, with the neo-Nazis parading, the Saturday-night "Paki bashing" - and equally, the response of normal, decent people to shut it down. It is always possible for the unscrupulous to whip up the fear of foreigners and general nastiness, unfortunately. But I am angry and embarrassed today, explaining this garbage to my American colleagues here at work. Not proud at all today. And yes, sad.

However, giving up is out of the question. These idiots cannot have my country.

Why do you think that having equal rules for Non-EU and EU immigrants is something to be embarrassed about?

All countries in the world have restrictions as to who can live/work in their country. Why should one group be favoured over another who may actually have more needed skills?

Do you think a small island should allow any/all who wish to come just arrive, be housed, schooled, receive state medical care?

Those of immigrant origin settled in the UK also have an interest in the democratic, sovereignty of the UK, the older generations were brought up on it in their 'colonial schools':lol:

Dick Dasterdly Jun 24th 2016 5:19 pm

The main source of xenophobia comes from the EU itself, treating those from outside its control area as second or third class citizens.

Please enlighten me as to why it can't treat everyone in the same ?:confused:

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11983120)
Why do you think that having equal rules for Non-EU and EU immigrants is something to be embarrassed about?

All countries in the world have restrictions as to who can live/work in their country. Why should one group be favoured over another who may actually have more needed skills?

Do you think a small island should allow any/all who wish to come just arrive, be housed, schooled, receive state medical care?

Those of immigrant origin settled in the UK also have an interest in the democratic, sovereignty of the UK, the older generations were brought up on it in their 'colonial schools':lol:

I'm sorry, but I'm not prepared to rehash this entire thread all over again.

Leave has won, and that is a fact. There will be economic fallout, which is also a fact. Equally, those in charge are the exact same people who were in charge before and they don't give a damn about your priorities or mine either way.

Whatever the result of the referendum, the nature of the debate was vile and un-British, and I will speak up against that always. Sorry.

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11983126)
The main source of xenophobia comes from the EU itself, treating those from outside its control area as second or third class citizens.

Please enlighten me as to why it can't treat everyone in the same ?:confused:

You appear to be turning into a left winger Dick.

Congratulations.

Nice pivot.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 24th 2016 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11983130)
You appear to be turning into a left winger Dick.

Congratulations.

Nice pivot.

No answer to that one eh ?

People who live in glass houses............:lol:

Bipat Jun 24th 2016 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11983105)
You completely (and predictably) misunderstood my entire post. Wonderful job, there.

I was commenting on the words you used.
Explain then--if I misunderstood.
What did you mean by "colonial immigrants" and "once the most powerful nation on the planet"?

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11983140)
No answer to that one eh ?

People who live in glass houses............:lol:

I think we've covered this before.

Nonsensical questions have no answers.

SultanOfSwing Jun 24th 2016 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11983142)
I was commenting on the words you used.
Explain then--if I misunderstood.
What did you mean by "colonial immigrants" and "once the most powerful nation on the planet"?

Colonial immigrants - people from the former British Empire, very few of them found their way to Northern Ireland. Hong Kong aside, last I checked, China was not part of said empire.

The UK, at the height of the Empire, was the most powerful nation in the world. Fact. Not a debate of the rights and wrongs of Empire building, just stating a fact. The leave campaign winning a vote based on fear is not representative of a nation that once held such power.

That's the last time I explain a post, learn to read in future.

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11983158)
Colonial immigrants - people from the former British Empire, very few of them found their way to Northern Ireland. Hong Kong aside, last I checked, China was not part of said empire.

The UK, at the height of the Empire, was the most powerful nation in the world. Fact. Not a debate of the rights and wrongs of Empire building, just stating a fact. The leave campaign winning a vote based on fear is not representative of a nation that once held such power.

I'm now given to understand by Dick that what Leave/Nige wanted was for us to fear all foreigners equally.

SultanOfSwing Jun 24th 2016 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11983162)
I'm now given to understand by Dick that what Leave/Nige wanted was for us to fear all foreigners equally.

I don't really think they know what they want. They're like a cat that's caught a mouse and doesn't really want to eat it - it'll just bat it around for a bit, then leave it dead in the yard for the crows to pick at.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 24th 2016 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11983162)

The remain camp backed the fear campaign big time and failed miserably.
Get over it.

What's wrong with treating all the people of the world equally and fairly, unlike the EU, which is more shades of the master race ? :nod:

holly_1948 Jun 24th 2016 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11983040)

Vlad Putin is in the middle of a week long Shanghai Cooperation Agreement conference of Heads of State where India is an attending member for the first time ever. And next week he is off to China for military cooperation meetings. There is no chance he has even time or energy to do any more than simply be informed about the situation in Europe. When he has multiple meetings with heads of state every day for the next several days.

Bipat Jun 24th 2016 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11983158)

I can read. When the posts above are complaining about xenophobic Brexiters, I questioned your apparent praising of the Empire Britain---'that they wouldn't have stooped to running a campaign based on fear', when in fact they got power because of it.
If I misunderstood and you were not praising---apologies.

(I have heard present day immigrants say that they cannot understand a country 'great' like Britain is now allowing itself to be ruled by the EU!

(Quite a number of immigrants from Empire countries settled in Northern Ireland from 1920s/30s onwards)

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11983168)
The remain camp backed the fear campaign big time and failed miserably.
Get over it.

What's wrong with treating all the people of the world equally and fairly, unlike the EU, which is more shades of the master race ? :nod:

:blink:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6328712120.jpg

kimilseung Jun 24th 2016 6:09 pm

These several videos I have now seen of people who voted 'leave' being all sad about Britain leaving winning, and regretting it, would be laughable if it wasn't so laughable for other reasons.