British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Feb 20th 2017 8:30 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12184465)
:goodpost: Annoyingly for many who would like to make the Brexit vote all about one nationality,one party,one colour, one economy group.and most of all about immigration.

Thank you for that GeniB.

amideislas Feb 20th 2017 8:36 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12184465)
:goodpost: Annoyingly for many who would like to make the Brexit vote all about one nationality,one party,one colour, one economy group.and most of all about immigration.

If we're discussing personal experience, I'd have to say that my experience talking with other Brits has been that there seem to be two consistent points raised favouring brexit:

1. Foreigners. They take jobs away from real Britons, and drive wages down.

2. Bendy bananas. The EU restricts commerce and growth through oppressive regulation.

Although as a matter of factual public record, both are highly questionable assertions.

No flaming, please. I'm not saying these are the only reasons for brexit. But from my experience, these seem to be the overwhelmingly most common objections expressed by those I've discussed it with.

lutonlad Feb 20th 2017 8:41 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12184499)
If we're discussing personal experience, I'd have to say that my experience talking with other Brits has been that there seem to be two consistent points raised favouring brexit:

1. Foreigners. They take jobs away from real Britons, and drive wages down.

2. Bendy bananas. The EU restricts commerce and growth through oppressive regulation.

Although as a matter of factual public record, both are highly questionable assertions.

No flaming, please. I'm not saying these are the only reasons for brexit. But from my experience, these seem to be the overwhelmingly most common objections expressed by those I've discussed it with.

Perhaps you need to get out more.

amideislas Feb 20th 2017 8:53 am

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12184504)
Perhaps you need to get out more.

Perhaps. But that's what I consistently hear from the British holidaymaker set. Expats too.

In fact, ironically, expats are sometimes the most outspoken objectors. I know a few around here that can't go a day without moaning about all the foreigners here and their silly foreign "ways". It's actually rather entertaining.

Fredbargate Feb 20th 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12184474)
Bipat its not the immigrant vote that should concern you, but those who voted brexit because that have concerns or worse about " all immigration ".

I have concerns about immigration ( UK ) because I believe the UK like the world is over populated.
However that was not high on the list of my reasons for voting out, posted many moons ago.

What does concern me more is why some people keep banging on about it?

These people frequently refer to others as racists but I feel that they themselves are very strong racists afraid to come out of the closet. By bringing the subject up over and over again they feel the are stirring up anti immigration reactions from others without without having to admit their own true feelings.

EMR Feb 20th 2017 9:27 am

E

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12184530)
I have concerns about immigration ( UK ) because I believe the UK like the world is over populated.
However that was not high on the list of my reasons for voting out, posted many moons ago.

These people frequently refer to others as racists but I feel that they themselves are very strong racists afraid to come out of the closet. By bringing the subject up over and over again they fee6l the are stirring up anti immigration reactions from others without without having to admit their own true feelings.

Fred you are not living on a low income sink estate , in a town with a high immigrant population .not from the EU..
This thread is about a post brexit UK, a UK where the reasons why they voted brexit will not go away?
These traditional labour voters can no longer be relied on and are being targeted by the right.

My true feelings have not changed from the days I joined anti nazi marches, I got into fight at school against those who targeted immigrants.
The days I saw Asian shops burnt, or fireworks and dog shit put through the letter boxes of Asian homes..
Those who did those things are still around and probably still think the same.
Brexit voters to a man.
Rather like the economy thriving ,I hope that after brexit the right will fade away , but I fear that it will not.

Scamp Feb 20th 2017 9:28 am

These people frequently refer to others as racists but I feel that they themselves are very strong racists afraid to come out of the closet. By bringing the subject up over and over again they feel the are stirring up anti immigration reactions from others without without having to admit their own true feelings.

Gibraltar is one of the most densely populated places on earth isn't it?

amideislas Feb 20th 2017 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12184535)
Gibraltar is one of the most densely populated places on earth isn't it?

Yeah, but it's overpopulated with Brits. The UK, like everywhere else, is overpopulated with foreigners.

Scamp Feb 20th 2017 9:44 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12184538)
Yeah, but it's overpopulated with Brits. The UK, like everywhere else, is overpopulated with foreigners.

I honestly thought it was just Fred and 30,000 monkeys?

jimenato Feb 20th 2017 9:50 am

Fred my friend, it's very touching that you are so concerned about border security in the overcrowded UK but you might like to take a quick look at the population density of Gibraltar and its practically non-existent border controls.

amideislas Feb 20th 2017 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12184543)

Yeah, but they're British monkeys.

DaveLovesDee Feb 20th 2017 9:53 am

And throughout history, wars, famine, disease and other regularly occurring events killed off large numbers of the world population.

Maybe it's time to try actually reducing the number of children born each year to reduce the population of the world. Though any politician who suggests that would never get elected.

Or, we could make habitable the areas that are currently under-populated. Or stop bombing the crap out of whichever country the Americans want to build their next McDonalds on.....

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12184543)

And 96% of the monkeys voted Remain!

Bipat Feb 20th 2017 10:45 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12184534)
E

Fred you are not living on a low income sink estate , in a town with a high immigrant population .not from the EU..
This thread is about a post brexit UK, a UK where the reasons why they voted brexit will not go away?
These traditional labour voters can no longer be relied on and are being targeted by the right.

My true feelings have not changed from the days I joined anti nazi marches, I got into fight at school against those who targeted immigrants.
The days I saw Asian shops burnt, or fireworks and dog shit put through the letter boxes of Asian homes..
Those who did those things are still around and probably still think the same.
Brexit voters to a man.
Rather like the economy thriving ,I hope that after brexit the right will fade away , but I fear that it will not.

You are just confirming what I have posted above, these people have nothing to do with the EU or Brexit, they have always been there. How many (as voiced here a long time ago) will have voted to Remain because they prefer immigrants --'who look like us'?

They are a minority EMR---people like yourself are just insulting the majority of the population. You still didn't answer the question why did immigrants vote for Brexit in the same proportions?????

Bipat Feb 20th 2017 10:50 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12184552)
Yeah, but they're British monkeys.

They obviously are! The only time we visited Gibraltar years ago, one was carefully stealing ice lollies out of a shop fridge!:lol:

DaveLovesDee Feb 20th 2017 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12184580)
You still didn't answer the question why did immigrants vote for Brexit in the same proportions?????

Maybe they don't want more immigrants, or didn't want a different kind of immigrant than their own kind?

Or maybe they believed the UK media and politicians?