British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Jul 18th 2016 10:31 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 12005036)
The millions in EU funding the BBC tried to hide | Coffee House

Several relevant paragraphs, including:

>>However, the size of these EU gifts is arguably irrelevant, even though they are indicative of the BBC’s seemingly unquenchable thirst for public money. What is undeniably true is that the BBC has acted with characteristic slyness by concealing that it ever requested, let alone received, this European cash, suggesting that it is uneasy about the public being aware of its financial arrangements.<<

You can Google for a long time and never come up with the EU >> BBC grant figures.

Dick posted the same thing 4 months ago.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11902799)

The millions in EU funding the BBC tried to hide.

And again nearly a month later.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11924782)
Why the secrecy ?
Why try to hide it ?
The information was only eventually released under the enforcement of the Freedom of Information Act !

Or do we already know only too well ?

BBC: EU grants – the £20 million sting

Maybe it's worth you re-reading the posts after those above to refressh your memory of the counter-points that were raised.

Wol Jul 18th 2016 10:34 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12005272)
Dick posted the same thing 4 months ago.

And again nearly a month later.

Maybe it's worth you re-reading the posts after those above to refressh your memory of the counter-points that were raised.

Sorry but I have better things to do than scour months-old posts just in case they mirror what I Googled for myself!

amideislas Jul 18th 2016 10:39 am

This is the standard tactic that's been employed all along in the brexit debate.

Offer something patently false as a "fact" to "prove" the point.

When proven false beyond any doubt, just say it again, as if nobody heard the first time. Then accuse them of ignoring the "facts".

Dick Dasterdly Jul 18th 2016 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12005293)
This is the standard tactic that's been employed all along in the brexit debate.

Offer something patently false as a "fact" to "prove" the point.

When proven false beyond any doubt, just say it again, as if nobody heard the first time. Then accuse them of ignoring the "facts".

Very typical of the remainiac tactics I would suggest and then consider the countless numbers of them that have been debunked in the past three weeks or so.

As for the BBC issue, I suggest you don't take anyone's word for it, but go to a website of your choice and check it out for yourself.
The main concern was the attempted cover up, rather than the amount of funding involved.

Oh how the mighty Beeb has fallen. :cool:

Dick Dasterdly Jul 18th 2016 12:03 pm

UK offered Brexit free trade deal with Australia - BBC News

EMR Jul 18th 2016 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12005352)

Where were you yesterday,it has already been discussed.

DaveLovesDee Jul 18th 2016 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12005349)
As for the BBC issue, I suggest you don't take anyone's word for it, but go to a website of your choice and check it out for yourself.
The main concern was the attempted cover up, rather than the amount of funding involved.

If the main concern was the attempted cover-up, why was the argument made previously that even this 0.01% of funding over three years means the BBC is biased towards the EU?

EMR Jul 18th 2016 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12005349)
Very typical of the remainiac tactics I would suggest and then consider the countless numbers of them that have been debunked in the past three weeks or so.

So its not the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation as you have been stating for years .

Wintersong Jul 18th 2016 5:20 pm

:cool: <--- this emoticon has been ruined for me. Utterly ruined.

SultanOfSwing Jul 18th 2016 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 12005619)
:cool: <--- this emoticon has been ruined for me. Utterly ruined.

Yes.

Dick Dasterdly Jul 18th 2016 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12005379)
If the main concern was the attempted cover-up, why was the argument made previously that even this 0.01% of funding over three years means the BBC is biased towards the EU?

Both.
The attempted cover up was simply an obvious admission of guilt, otherwise why do it,
....though I'm sure you can manipulate it to mean something else entirely :cool:

DaveLovesDee Jul 18th 2016 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12005707)
Both.
The attempted cover up was simply an obvious admission of guilt, otherwise why do it,
....though I'm sure you can manipulate it to mean something else entirely :cool:

Hard Evidence: how biased is the BBC?

One of the most striking findings was the dominance of party political sources. In coverage of immigration, the EU and religion, these accounted for 49.4% of all source appearances in 2007 and 54.8% in 2012. In reporting of the EU the dominance was even more pronounced with party political sources accounting for 65% of source appearances in 2007 and 79.2% in 2012.

Political sources were also much more likely than other sources to be featured in the opening sections of news reports which had the consequence of reports being framed from party political perspectives which other sources then had to respond to.

Among political sources, Labour and Conservatives dominate coverage accounting for 86% of source appearances in 2007 and 79.7% in 2012. Our data also show that Conservatives get more airtime than Labour. Bearing in mind that incumbents always receive more coverage than opposition politicians, the ratio was much more pronounced when the Conservatives were in power in 2012.
FORMER INVESTIGATIONS CHIEF SLAMS BBC FOR “PRO-GOVERNMENT BIAS” AND ABANDONING INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING

Investigations aim to hold power to account, and one of the most powerful institutions is the government. People ask me is the BBC biased, and my answer is that the fundamental corporate bias is pro-government, regardless of party. It’s the licence fee – stupid.
The BBC reports the government's point of view, seemingly without questioning it. Any pro-EU bias was much more likely a reflection of the official position in Whitehall, than a result of any EU funding of the BBC.

EMR Jul 19th 2016 11:59 am

Government lawyers in High Court state that article 50 will not be ennacted this year.

EMR Jul 19th 2016 3:44 pm

Just watched John Kerry and Boris on BBC news, Boris, well enough said!!.

Kerry when asked said that a trade deal with the UK was impossible while we remain part of the EU and that the magnitude of current trade negotiations such as ttip means that there is not the time or capacity again to enter into any discussions with the UK.
Or to put it another way, the UK is at the back of the queue.

Boris was at least honest with regard to immigration acknowledging that brexiters may not be happy with the pace of and final results of attempts by brexit to reduce immigration into the UK.

GeniB Jul 19th 2016 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12006522)
Just watched John Kerry and Boris on BBC news, Boris, well enough said!!.

Kerry when asked said that a trade deal with the UK was impossible while we remain part of the EU and that the magnitude of current trade negotiations such as ttip means that there is not the time or capacity again to enter into any discussions with the UK.
Or to put it another way, the UK is at the back of the queue.

Boris was at least honest with regard to immigration acknowledging that brexiters may not be happy with the pace of and final results of attempts by brexit to reduce immigration into the UK.

Boris got a hammering from the USA press corps. Asked endless embarrassing questions from his less than flattering description of Barack Obama to his habit of lying though his teeth... Oh dear.. If this was Theresa's plan. It's working:o

The full article can be found at: Boris Johnson accused of lying and insulting Barack Obama - FT.com