British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Fredbargate Jul 17th 2016 9:02 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Talking to my nephew a born and bred Kiwi he is of the opinion that NZ would also be open to trade deals but feels it would involve immigration issues.

JACHA Jul 17th 2016 9:07 am

Cannot see what the UK has to trade to be honest. Maybe the UK has something to sell that we don't have.
Australia like the UK has lost a lot of its manufacturing industries and a lot of our fruit comes from overseas. Why buy passion fruit grown in Australia when we can import it from Spain.
Now we import plasterboard from China that we banned because of asbestos.
That's what I mean about being worse off. Oh well some consultation we won't sign off on freedom of movement lol.

EMR Jul 17th 2016 9:25 am

BBC news confirmed that a relaxation of immigration rules would form part of the deals being proposed by Australia in concert it hopes with NZ.
Given that brexit was opposed to easing UK immigration rules this it not going to please all of them them.
Unless of course OZ and NZ reciprocates and makes it easier for brits to migrate there.
Those of a certain mindset in the brexit camp will jump at the chance to leave the UK.

Bipat Jul 17th 2016 9:33 am

Originally Posted by JACHA (Post 12004458)
Cannot see what the UK has to trade to be honest. Maybe the UK has something to sell that we don't have.
Australia like the UK has lost a lot of its manufacturing industries and a lot of our fruit comes from overseas. Why buy passion fruit grown in Australia when we can import it from Spain.
Now we import plasterboard from China that we banned because of asbestos.
That's what I mean about being worse off. Oh well some consultation we won't sign off on freedom of movement lol.

I learned something from the link below.

I personally know too little about Australia, although one child and husband (when young) travelled extensively as tourists.
An Indian niece did a course in Vineculture in Perth. (she loved it there and would have stayed if she could have got a job, but is doing well setting up her own wine bar in India, so there, is an example of global learning and enterprise! )

Australia's trade in goods and services 2013-14 - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

JACHA Jul 17th 2016 9:37 am

Well the UK would just love all of us Aussies moving in. Not that any of us could afford to as it is one of the most expensive places and the most important issue 'the weather'. Although I do love all the historic sites as we don't have much of a history.
Perhaps I may be able to pick up a cheap manor house as I have always wanted to be 'Lady of the Manor' or if somebody is interested in a house swap ( Manor House only) I could be tempted.

Bipat Jul 17th 2016 9:37 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12004466)
BBC news confirmed that a relaxation of immigration rules would form part of the deals being proposed by Australia in concert it hopes with NZ.
Given that brexit was opposed to easing UK immigration rules this it not going to please all of them them.
Unless of course OZ and NZ reciprocates and makes it easier for brits to migrate there.
Those of a certain mindset in the brexit camp will jump at the chance to leave the UK.

EMR you know full well that the Brexit campaign advocated equal immigration rules for all immigrants. Not free movement just for EU immigrants.

EMR Jul 17th 2016 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12004473)
EMR you know full well that the Brexit campaign advocated equal immigration rules for all immigrants. Not free movement just for EU immigrants.

Wrong again Bipat, it was about reducing nett immigration to just a few tens thousands.
You should check out the speeches of the brexit leaders, including farages racist comments of course.
Speeches that influenced a large part of the uk population to vote leave, ie, Reduce ALL migration.

I hope that your idealism is not shattered when the reality and facts of brexit reveals itself, if brexit ever happens that is.

What is going to hit the headlines in the tabloids .?

Trade agreements with India Australia etc or Nett migration still in the100,s thousands , what did we vote for ?

Bipat Jul 17th 2016 10:31 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12004481)
Wrong again Bipat, it was about reducing nett immigration to just a few tens thousands.
You should check out the speeches of the brexit leaders, including farages racist comments of course.
Speeches that influenced a large part of the uk population to vote leave, ie, Reduce ALL migration.

I hope that your idealism is not shattered when the reality and facts of brexit reveals itself, if brexit ever happens that is.

What is going to hit the headlines in the tabloids .?

Trade agreements with India Australia etc or Nett migration still in the100,s thousands , what did we vote for ?

I am not wrong EMR. The tens of thousands figure was part of the Tory party manifesto.
Yes, overall numbers were an issue.
However, how many times did you hear 'some sort of points system advocated'?
How many times did you hear the words 'free movement of EU national meant less choice of non-EU nationals'.

Do you really believe that there should be no control on immigrant numbers at all? It is obvious if no controls on one group (EU) there will be strict controls on another (non-EU).

If there should be some controls why do you not think it should be equal for all immigrants?
Are you one of those individuals that thinks European people more desirable than non EU?

Trade deals with Australia/India etc. You have been stating that they won't happen!!! Now you don't want them?

(Nigel Farage was not an official leader of the Brexit campaign, although obviously he did influence that minority of the British public who are racist.

How do you explain an equal proportion of non-EU immigrants voted leave?)

EMR Jul 17th 2016 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12004496)
I am not wrong EMR. The tens of thousands figure was part of the Tory party manifesto.
Yes, overall numbers were an issue.
However, how many times did you hear 'some sort of points system advocated'?
How many times did you hear the words 'free movement of EU national meant less choice of non-EU nationals'.

Do you really believe that there should be no control on immigrant numbers at all? It is obvious if no controls on one group (EU) there will be strict controls on another (non-EU).

If there should be some controls why do you not think it should be equal for all immigrants?
Are you one of those individuals that thinks European people more desirable than non EU?

Trade deals with Australia/India etc. You have been stating that they won't happen!!! Now you don't want them?

(Nigel Farage was not an official leader of the Brexit campaign, although obviously he did influence that minority of the British public who are racist.

How do you explain an equal proportion of non-EU immigrants voted leave?)

Non EU migrants followed the UK trend with the young and better educated voting remain, the elderly and less well off voting leave..
Why do still refer to british born Asians as migrants.
Reducing immigration is brexit policy, not just Tory policy, where were you during the campaign, did you never listen to Boris etc etc.
What do you not seem to understand is , a reduction in immigrstion means ALL immigration not just from the EU, it means all countries.
If immigration numbers do not fall there will be a reaction against the brexit tories and a boost for whatever form racist Ukip takes in the future..
Even todays Daily Morron true to form misquotes a brexit minister suggesting that new EU migrants will be deported from the UK.
The tabloids know their readership and it is not reasonable people such as yourself.
There is today a grinning picture of Farage celebrating Ukip wins in Northern local elections.

I want trade deals that are of equal advantage to the UK,.
Deals that require the UK to ease its visa rules and increase migration will not be popular with the brexit voting electorate.
The Canada EU deal that Canada wants the UK to sgn up to after brexit is a purely commercial arrangement.
This should be the basis for all future deals..

paulry Jul 17th 2016 10:53 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12004466)

:rofl: And you believe what the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation has to say? :nod::flypig:

Give me one reason why a trade deal should lead to a relaxation of immigration rules? :santa:

EMR Jul 17th 2016 10:56 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12004503)
:rofl: And you believe what the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation has to say? :nod::flypig:

Give me one reason why a trade deal should lead to a relaxation of immigration rules? :santa:

Compared to who, your racist, rightwing internet gutter sources..

You should ask your Australian government what it wants from a UK trade deal.

JACHA Jul 17th 2016 11:00 am

paulry. Trade deals can include immigration benifits. For example the trade agreement with China allows 150,000 students to come to Australia each year to study and Aussie students to study in China. Trade agreements with Germany allow Australians to stay in Germany for ninety days irrespective that they have already been in the Schengen zone for 90 days.

paulry Jul 17th 2016 11:14 am

Originally Posted by JACHA (Post 12004505)
paulry. Trade deals can include immigration benifits. For example the trade agreement with China allows 150,000 students to come to Australia each year to study and Aussie students to study in China. Trade agreements with Germany allow Australians to stay in Germany for ninety days irrespective that they have already been in the Schengen zone for 90 days.

Okay yes, that kind of thing already exists. Plus if a foreign student studies here, Australia allows them to work here for a year or two (not sure exactly how long) post graduation. That is a smart move, IMO because it can lead to these graduates then going on to apply for extended work permits or PR. They are the cream of the crop in well managed immigration terms. Everyone's a winner :thumbsup:

JACHA Jul 17th 2016 11:33 am

Well not necessarily the cream of the crop. Those that are lucky enough to find a job that an Australian with the same skills can't do. This has really tightened up over the last couple of years with businesses having to prove a lot more than they used to.
Interestingly the UK last year changed their rules that people now can't apply in the UK for the equivalent of a 457 visa (work visa) and must go back to their home country. In Australia provided you meet all requirements you can apply for the 457 visa on shore. An example of the U.K. not giving reciprocal rights as agreed previously.
So I am hesitant that a trade agreement with the U.K. would give us anything of value.

EMR Jul 17th 2016 11:54 am

Originally Posted by JACHA (Post 12004512)
Well not necessarily the cream of the crop. Those that are lucky enough to find a job that an Australian with the same skills can't do. This has really tightened up over the last couple of years with businesses having to prove a lot more than they used to.
Interestingly the UK last year changed their rules that people now can't apply in the UK for the equivalent of a 457 visa (work visa) and must go back to their home country. In Australia provided you meet all requirements you can apply for the 457 visa on shore. An example of the U.K. not giving reciprocal rights as agreed previously.
So I am hesitant that a trade agreement with the U.K. would give us anything of value.

What can Australia sell to the UK thats is better or cheaper than anything we already import.
What can the UK sell to Australia thats is better or cheaper than anything it already imports.

This simple two column statement is all that a trade agreement should be about.

I predict a rash of publicity from our brexit ministers about new " trade " agreements with countries that will have little if any positive effect on the UK economy.

There is comment in the Sunday times , that deals with the UK could be popular because they will not require the standards, product, consumer protection demanded by the EU.
Is the UK to become a dumping ground for products below EU standards .
Products they cannot sell to the EU.

There has been talk of a deal with the US, total nonesense, the politician promoting it is a republican trump supporter and it would require a bill to go through the US government system.

I have not seen any announcements from the Clinton camp , has anyone ?