British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DigitalGhost Feb 1st 2017 12:00 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12167597)
The illeglas in France are not leaving. They are still in France aren't they?

For as long as our paid officials are keeping them there, yes. France should be rounding them up and deporting them however it seems that France simply cannot be arsed and would prefer to see them go feral in the rural areas surrounding Calais and the poorer districts of Paris.

DigitalGhost Feb 1st 2017 12:10 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12167591)

But apparently, both Britain and the US they seem to think they're perfect .. or at least superior to everybody else... The irony of that is what I find most fascinating about their delusional behaviour.

That definitely applies to the United States but not so much to Britain IMHO.


Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12167591)
In fact, you mention Germany, and so I'll use that as an example. Compared to Britain, it is a larger, more successful economy, exhibits a higher standard of living, lower wealth disparity, a strategic, long-term planning mindset, rather than tactical, short-term reactive mindset. It is a more tolerant (and happier) society, and certainly more progressive. In short, this European country which Britain wants to believe is so unsophisticated by comparison, is actually running circles around Britain. And that's not my opinion - it's a matter of public record. And also might help explain why with every new exclamation of superiority coming from the British government, the chuckles reverberate in Germany as if they're watching an episode of "Big Bang Theory".

Actually you are wrong. Germany has Europe's largest economy but it is also by far the EU's biggest nation state. It has a population of 81 million compared to Britain's 65mn and only a slightly higher GDP per capita figure however the German economy has been shrinking for years whereas Britain's economy continues to grow. If that trend to continues then some estimate that the British economy will surpass Germany's by 2020 just as the British economy surpassed France a few years ago.

amideislas Feb 1st 2017 12:24 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12167620)
That definitely applies to the United States but not so much to Britain IMHO.

Yet the English are world famous for their arrogance and believing that all things British are superior. I mean, the brexit campaign was a parade of British superiority propaganda (although many psycoanalysts attribute that behaviour to a deeply rooted inferiority complex as a result of losing the "empire").


Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12167620)
Actually you are wrong. Germany has Europe's largest economy but it is also by far the EU's biggest nation state. It has a population of 81 million compared to Britain's 65mn and only a slightly higher GDP per capita figure however the German economy has been shrinking for years whereas Britain's economy continues to grow. If that trend to continues then some estimate that the British economy will surpass Germany's by 2020 just as the British economy surpassed France a few years ago.

OK fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But Germany still runs circles around Britain - even if it's blasphemous to suggest it. And Britain is about to discover what a "shrinking economy" means.

Nonetheless, it still doesn't change the fact that Germans are far less inclined to exhibit racist behaviour - as a matter of record, are simply and plainly, a much more tolerant society. Your suggestion otherwise is only to cover up for the fact that you are simply repeating what you've heard somewhere... you wouldn't really know.

DigitalGhost Feb 1st 2017 12:36 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12167625)
Nonetheless, it still doesn't change the fact that Germans are far less inclined to exhibit racist behaviour.

Again, considering that I have been on the receiving end of racist behaviour in Germany, I simply do not believe what you have said to be the case.

I also have relatives from Germany and they treat my partner differently at family occasions. Not with any ill-intent but just because they simply do not seem to know any better and those behaviours are the standard for their culture.

DigitalGhost Feb 1st 2017 12:40 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12167625)
Yet the English are world famous for their arrogance and believing that all things British are superior.

OK honestly, is the UK the best country in the world? That's not really for me to say but I would argue probably not.

Is the UK a better country than Germany. Absolutely IMHO. I'll never forget one veteran poster on here a few years ago stating 'I would no rather be a German than I would want to be a Saudi'. I completely agree with that sentiment.

amideislas Feb 1st 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12167632)
Again, considering that I have been on the receiving end of racist behaviour in Germany, I simply do not believe what you have said to be the case.

Considering that you are demonstrably predisposed to find any fault with the EU, AND what you describe is contrary to common behaviour (although an understandable mistake, if you really don't know, and presume everyone else is the same as those who you DO know), I can't help but question the basis for your entire story.

The EU has plenty of faults. This isn't one of them. If you knew that, you'd know that. But you're just stabbing in the dark. And that makes you appear quite like a common arrogant-ignorant. You know, that common, ubiquitous stereotype you want to believe you've shed? After all, "We're English my dear. Arrogance is beneath us".

http://celebriot.com/quotes_img/c/ca...uotes-2669.png

DigitalGhost Feb 1st 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12167649)
After all, "We're English my dear. Arrogance is beneath us".

You really don't have a damn clue do you? Shouldn't you be at an puerile anti-Trump protest somewhere?

amideislas Feb 1st 2017 12:59 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12167654)
You really don't have a damn clue do you? Shouldn't you be at an puerile anti-Trump protest somewhere?


These are just a few of the many famous quotes regarding the ubiquitous British arrogance stereotype.

I didn't make them up. What about your little European inferiority stories? Are they equally as well-known?

EMR Feb 1st 2017 1:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Germany had a positive trade balance of 297 billion dollars in 2016 , making it N01 in the world, ahead of China and Japan.,
44% in value came from sales to the UK and US.
DG exhibits the usual brexit, ukip aversion to facts, the UK as we know has a negative trade balance.
It is reported that even poor old Spains economy outgrew the UK last year.

DigitalGhost Feb 1st 2017 1:12 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12167660)
It is reported that even poor old Spains economy outgrew the UK last year.

Who reported that exactly? Someone with a great deal of interest in fiction I imagine.

If the Spanish economy was leaping from strength to strength then the UK's major cities wouldn't have as many Spanish immigrants in them as they do now.

You perceive my views as an aversion to facts simply because you don't agree with them and they don't tie in with your leftist agenda and overtly liberal view of the world.

EMR Feb 1st 2017 1:22 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12167666)
Who reported that exactly? Someone with a great deal of interest in fiction I imagine.

If the Spanish economy was leaping from strength to strength then the UK's major cities wouldn't have as many Spanish immigrants in them as they do now.

You perceive my views as an aversion to facts simply because you don't agree with them and they don't tie in with your leftist agenda and overtly liberal view of the world.

Growth not size of economy, do you not understand the difference.
Spain may well be in a mess but its economy os growing faster than the

DigitalGhost Feb 1st 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12167678)
Growth not size of economy, do you not understand the difference.
Spain may well be in a mess but its economy os growing faster than the

I knew exactly what you meant but I think my response still stands.

The UK would have to be in a state of complete economic meltdown for Spain to overtake it in terms of GDP size.

DaveLovesDee Feb 1st 2017 1:40 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
On doing a whole search, it turns that DigitalGhost's real name is Kelly-Anne Conway, reciter of 'alternative facts'.....

jimenato Feb 1st 2017 1:45 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12167681)
I knew exactly what you meant but I think my response still stands.

The UK would have to be in a state of complete economic meltdown for Spain to overtake it in terms of GDP size.

http://media0.giphy.com/media/1yLdy3t1xr5Bu/giphy.gif

Dick Dasterdly Feb 1st 2017 1:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Spain declined to such an extent that the only possible way left to go was up.

It still has massive problems, especially regarding unemployment and the lost generation of youth, as well as still being unable to match the anti austerity or budget targets set by the Eu.

What the true unemployment figures are we will never know with so many Spaniards having moved abroad for work and no longer on the books.

Many others are only temporarily employed and receiving wages well below subsistence levels, having been left with no alternative while the Govt is very happy to ignore the minimum pay rates.

Many of them work abroad in hope of returning one day, but until the economy is on a sound footing and unemployment reaches an acceptable level, their prospects of being reunited with friends and family remain very bleak indeed.

:cool:


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:38 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.