British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Jan 28th 2017 9:24 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Beethoven was a foreigner. And gay. And a leftie. And a Muslim refugee illegal immigrant.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 28th 2017 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12163899)
Well done Theresa May. You made Britain proud.

Germany is now urging the EU to quickly put the wraps on a dozen trade deals around the world in the aftermath of Brexit, discussions that have been dragging on for years. Ami said it takes five to ten years to fix a trade deal. It looks like it can be done in a lot less time if you want to, as I have said. During a meeting of EU finance ministers yesterday, German officials warned that the EU needed to act because of supposed threats posed by Brexit and Trump’s presidency. And here I am listening to you lot telling me the EU holds all the cards. Looks like the Germans are finally getting the picture. I wonder if this urgency will filter down to the other 26?

A German diplomatic source said ‘We think it is important that the 27 stick together and back up our belief, which is in free trade’. The same sources who tell the UK there will be no access to the single market for the UK (65 million consumer market and the biggest European trading partner for the EU) and who want to punish us for leaving if we do not agree to free movement. I wonder if these dozen trade deals will include free movement…?

Hey, Dick, wasn’t it Guy Verhofstadt who said to Davis, ‘Welcome to Hell’? Now tell me, who would want to re-join an organisation he describes as HELL? Who would want to belong to an organisation when a Member of the European Parliament describes their own organisation as HELL?

:goodpost:

They've gone from threatening us with HELL to pleading with us to come back. :nod:

The major German industrialists amongst others are now wetting their knickers in case trade does not continue as normal and the bloody minded Brussels bureaucrats mess up yet again.
A million jobs at risk in Germany alone.

As I said all along, the UK holds the Trump cards, (pardon the pun:lol:).

Seems like the Brussels dictators don't have many friends left.
They've made enemies of the East, now made enemies of the West, made enemies of almost all of their own member states as well as most of the Eu public in general.

It's beginning to look like Custers Last Stand. :lol:

Lion in Winter Jan 28th 2017 9:36 pm

Hahahaha

So in the blink of an eye, we've gone from being afraid of mass invasions by Turks to selling them weapons. May appears to be flogging the UK around like a brush salesman, although having said that we've always been willing to sell weapons to anyone.

Theresa May in Turkey: UK agrees £100m defence deal - BBC News

EMR Jan 28th 2017 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12164164)
:goodpost:

They've gone from threatening us with HELL to pleading with us to come back. :nod:

The major German industrialists amongst others are now wetting their knickers in case trade does not continue as normal and the bloody minded Brussels bureaucrats mess up yet again.
A million jobs at risk in Germany alone.

As I said all along, the UK holds the Trump cards, (pardon the pun:lol:).

Seems like the Brussels dictators don't have many friends left.
They've made enemies of the East, now made enemies of the West, made enemies of almost all of their own member states as well as most of the Eu public in general.

It's beginning to look like Custers Last Stand. :lol:

Someone has to post it.
Dick you very unique and distorted view of reality has now reached such a low level that it no longer deserves any response.
Even DG without doubt a confirmed brexiter does not want to be compared with you.
Time to put your thumb in your mouth and pull the blankets over your head or give La Manch a call and pretend that you are the only two sane people left in the world.

Annetje Jan 28th 2017 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12164158)
Ode to Joy from Beethoven's ninth symphony. Wonderful music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9dLGDCdg3g

Thank you for sharing this ! Bloody marvelous !!!

Lion in Winter Jan 28th 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12164170)
Thank you for sharing this ! Bloody marvelous !!!

It is, but secretly I always wanted them to use this.

Annetje Jan 28th 2017 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12164166)
Hahahaha

So in the blink of an eye, we've gone from being afraid of mass invasions by Turks to selling them weapons. May appears to be flogging the UK around like a brush salesman, although having said that we've always been willing to sell weapons to anyone.

Theresa May in Turkey: UK agrees £100m defence deal - BBC News

UK and USA scare the hell out of me !!! Is this really the best May can do ?

EMR Jan 28th 2017 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12164173)
It is, but secretly I always wanted them to use this.

https://youtu.be/SVI7ZDDQXKA

WOW ! what a great way to sit sipping a beer and playing your link via bluetooth through my bose speakers.
Sod brexit, more like this please.

Lion in Winter Jan 28th 2017 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12164182)
WOW ! what a great way to sit sipping a beer and playing your link via bluetooth through my bose speakers.
Sod brexit, more like this please.

Your wish is my command. Another favourite.

DaveLovesDee Jan 28th 2017 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12164158)
Ode to Joy from Beethoven's ninth symphony. Wonderful music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9dLGDCdg3g

And this is the anthem is performed by the European Union Youth Wind Orchestra, conducted by André Reichling.

Lion in Winter Jan 28th 2017 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12164176)
UK and USA scare the hell out of me !!! Is this really the best May can do ?

Well, she can also hold hands with Trump, apparently.

Gordon Barlow Jan 28th 2017 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12164098)
I remember an interview I heard in which people around the Shah said he felt he was giving European values to Iran, and that the middle class was adopting European ways. Seems many do not agree with European ways, and end up reverting to long-standing traditions and culture in places like Turkey.

It's difficult to discover when Iranians first began to adopt European customs. The democratically elected (in 1951) Prime Minister Mossadegh is almost always shown in photos as wearing a Western suit and tie. Britain and the US overthrew him in '53 and abolished democracy. The puppet-shah kept the Western customs going right up till he was deposed by a rebellion led by exiled priests in 1979. Only since then has the populace been nudged by the extremist Islamists towards a style of life that it had long forgotten.

I hitched and bussed around Iran for a couple of weeks in 1964, in the company of a female companion. Our best ride was with five expat Iranians who had been working in Germany and were driving second-hand Mercedes back home to sell them. The four men and a one woman were typical of their country, but not of the region outside it; There was little hint anywhere of any old-tyme dress or attitudes. The woman persuaded us to buy a pretend-wedding-ring, just to be on the safe side, but she didn't wear one herself. They hated the Shah (his tortures were legendary), and would have welcomed his eventual expulsion - although they got more than they bargained for when the theocracy arrived.

There were and are many cultural-Arabs in the south-west of the country, and they wore the traditional Arab dress. They probably don't resent the cultural regression, but the city-dwellers in the rest of the country probably do.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 28th 2017 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12164169)
Someone has to post it.
Dick you very unique and distorted view of reality has now reached such a low level that it no longer deserves any response.
Even DG without doubt a confirmed brexiter does not want to be compared with you.
Time to put your thumb in your mouth and pull the blankets over your head or give La Manch a call and pretend that you are the only two sane people left in the world.

Reality is that Brussels has virtually isolated itself and is now desperately looking for an olive branch to cling on to.

Much the same as other failed Dictatorships which have ignored Diplomacy in a quest for absolute power and exacerbated by extreme arrogance, it has left itself deep in the mire with little or no way out.

Unfortunately they were too dumb to realise that Empire building is a long outdated concept in the free World in this day and age.

It never had a cat in Hells chance of succeeding, especially when run by a by a bunch of unelected clowns meeting in secret and forming disastrous policies without a single thought for the likely catastrophic consequences. :cool:

morpeth Jan 29th 2017 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12164207)
It's difficult to discover when Iranians first began to adopt European customs. The democratically elected (in 1951) Prime Minister Mossadegh is almost always shown in photos as wearing a Western suit and tie. Britain and the US overthrew him in '53 and abolished democracy. The puppet-shah kept the Western customs going right up till he was deposed by a rebellion led by exiled priests in 1979. Only since then has the populace been nudged by the extremist Islamists towards a style of life that it had long forgotten.

I hitched and bussed around Iran for a couple of weeks in 1964, in the company of a female companion. Our best ride was with five expat Iranians who had been working in Germany and were driving second-hand Mercedes back home to sell them. The four men and a one woman were typical of their country, but not of the region outside it; There was little hint anywhere of any old-tyme dress or attitudes. The woman persuaded us to buy a pretend-wedding-ring, just to be on the safe side, but she didn't wear one herself. They hated the Shah (his tortures were legendary), and would have welcomed his eventual expulsion - although they got more than they bargained for when the theocracy arrived.

There were and are many cultural-Arabs in the south-west of the country, and they wore the traditional Arab dress. They probably don't resent the cultural regression, but the city-dwellers in the rest of the country probably do.

The Shah in 1963 launched his "White Revolution" series of reforms which were bitterly resented by the religious leaders traditionally based in Qom, in alliance with bazaar merchant elements and others. There were demonstrations and outbreaks against the reforms (which were both social and economic through land reform)- and Khomeini was part of that resistance and exiled in 1964.

There must be a lot of city-dwellers who resent the changes, rather dramatic reversal of the Westernizing trends under the Shah. Saw a movie recently " Septembers of Shiraz" which while not the best movie, does portray the interesting dynamics between the classes in Iran at the time of the revolution.

Red Eric Jan 29th 2017 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12164219)
Reality is that Brussels has virtually isolated itself and is now desperately looking for an olive branch to cling on to.

Much the same as other failed Dictatorships which have ignored Diplomacy in a quest for absolute power and exacerbated by extreme arrogance, it has left itself deep in the mire with little or no way out.

Unfortunately they were too dumb to realise that Empire building is a long outdated concept in the free World in this day and age.

It never had a cat in Hells chance of succeeding, especially when run by a by a bunch of unelected clowns meeting in secret and forming disastrous policies without a single thought for the likely catastrophic consequences. :cool:

Sign in tomorrow, folks, for the next exciting instalment of Dick Dasterdly's thoughts, where you can look forward to exactly the same post in a slightly different order.

Or maybe a Daily Express headline about an alleged immigrant in a foreign land allegedly committing a crime.