Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jan 28th 2017, 3:42 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Well done Theresa May. You made Britain proud.

Germany is now urging the EU to quickly put the wraps on a dozen trade deals around the world in the aftermath of Brexit, discussions that have been dragging on for years. Ami said it takes five to ten years to fix a trade deal. It looks like it can be done in a lot less time if you want to, as I have said. During a meeting of EU finance ministers yesterday, German officials warned that the EU needed to act because of supposed threats posed by Brexit and Trump’s presidency. And here I am listening to you lot telling me the EU holds all the cards. Looks like the Germans are finally getting the picture. I wonder if this urgency will filter down to the other 26?

A German diplomatic source said ‘We think it is important that the 27 stick together and back up our belief, which is in free trade’. The same sources who tell the UK there will be no access to the single market for the UK (65 million consumer market and the biggest European trading partner for the EU) and who want to punish us for leaving if we do not agree to free movement. I wonder if these dozen trade deals will include free movement…?

Hey, Dick, wasn’t it Guy Verhofstadt who said to Davis, ‘Welcome to Hell’? Now tell me, who would want to re-join an organisation he describes as HELL? Who would want to belong to an organisation when a Member of the European Parliament describes their own organisation as HELL?
What are you talking about , nonesense as usual.
The steps by the EU will further isolate the UK on the world economic stage.
Who is going to get the better deal the EU with its 27 nations and huge economy or little old England.
keep it up as a little Englander you are doing a great job .
Old Jan 28th 2017, 3:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Hadn't thought of it from that perspective. My only point by any common definition of constitutes a European nation, Turkey is simply not a European nation in my opinion.
They take part in the Eurovision Song Contest..
Old Jan 28th 2017, 3:49 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
I don't know enough to comment on how the foreign relations were handled between US and Turkey, but I am struggling with the idea of Turkey as a tolerant country with its history the last 100 years. Starting with the Armenian genocide ( which the country doesn't still take much responsibility for), others during world war I and after, terrible discriminatory policies against remaining Greeks from 1930's through 1950's, the Kurds, and now the recent trends reverting to a more Islamic stance on issues.

Maybe for Turkey becoming more Islamic is a benefit for them, but I have a hard time believing policies of the West are the main or primary cause for people returning to the faith and practices of their ancestors. But I admit I don't have extensive experience nor interest in Turkey, and no disagreement as you know the city better that Istanbul may be a great city to visit.
If you visited the Turkisk coast and resorts now given over to western hedonism you would understand why many are returning to Islam.
When first visited Turkey the infamous English breakfast and ham sandwich could not be found.
No English type pubs, clubs. pub crawls etc.
All this changed in a few years of mass tourism and along with it increased signs of those wearing islamic dress, women covering their heads, wearing long dresses and coats.
I agree with you, Turkey never was and never will be a European nation.
With thw civil unrest and terrorism I am no longer sure that Istanbul is the safe destination it once was.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

They make awesome donair kebabs though. God I miss not being able to get a Turkish donair where I now live. Plus don't they compete at the Euros and have teams in the CL and UEFA competitions.
I expect some Turkish people are torn between being and adopting European lifestyles or do they prefer being Islamic?
Old Jan 28th 2017, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Oh dear. I am still scarred by the experience of having to sit through an evening of Turkish singing fifty years ago. I enjoyed everything else about the country, but its traditional music is - well, not in the least bit European!
Old Jan 28th 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
I expect some Turkish people are torn between being and adopting European lifestyles or do they prefer being Islamic?
Back in the 1920s and '30s, Ataturk did his best to Europeanise his people. Under his influence they adopted European clothes and (generally speaking) culture, and relegated their religion to a European closet. The present rulers are rolling back his changes in regard to the religion, and we can expect to see other changes too, soon. You're right: the people must be torn in their cultural allegiances; I don't think they are being asked what their preferences are!
Old Jan 28th 2017, 5:24 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Theresa May. You made Britain proud.

Germany is now urging the EU to quickly put the wraps on a dozen trade deals around the world in the aftermath of Brexit, discussions that have been dragging on for years. Ami said it takes five to ten years to fix a trade deal. It looks like it can be done in a lot less time if you want to, as I have said. During a meeting of EU finance ministers yesterday, German officials warned that the EU needed to act because of supposed threats posed by Brexit and Trump’s presidency. And here I am listening to you lot telling me the EU holds all the cards. Looks like the Germans are finally getting the picture. I wonder if this urgency will filter down to the other 26?

A German diplomatic source said ‘We think it is important that the 27 stick together and back up our belief, which is in free trade’. The same sources who tell the UK there will be no access to the single market for the UK (65 million consumer market and the biggest European trading partner for the EU) and who want to punish us for leaving if we do not agree to free movement. I wonder if these dozen trade deals will include free movement…?

Hey, Dick, wasn’t it Guy Verhofstadt who said to Davis, ‘Welcome to Hell’? Now tell me, who would want to re-join an organisation he describes as HELL? Who would want to belong to an organisation when a Member of the European Parliament describes their own organisation as HELL?
Trying to position the UK as a victim is as undignified as it is silly.

The grown ups in Brussels have all known each other years and are quite used to working - and joking - together. They don't have these playground clans that you and Dick divide the world into. Except for Flange who turns his back like a sulky child when the EU anthem is played. The jokes they make about him must be plentiful.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Trying to position the UK as a victim is as undignified as it is silly.

The grown ups in Brussels have all known each other years and are quite used to working - and joking - together. They don't have these playground clans that you and Dick divide the world into. Except for Flange who turns his back like a sulky child when the EU anthem is played. The jokes they make about him must be plentiful.
Which EU anthem? They have thirty-one.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

https://europa.eu/european-union/abo...bols/anthem_en
I dunno, Mancha, but this is what Google gives me. God forbid we should ever give it any deference, but it does seem to exist.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 6:02 pm
EMR
Banned

You are out of touch as ever la Manch..
No doubt the antics of Farage and co in the EP in your mind are to be approved.
Even though they make out country a laughing stock.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 6:32 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
So does Israel....

But then you and I know that Eurovision has nothing to do with the EU.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Back in the 1920s and '30s, Ataturk did his best to Europeanise his people. Under his influence they adopted European clothes and (generally speaking) culture, and relegated their religion to a European closet. The present rulers are rolling back his changes in regard to the religion, and we can expect to see other changes too, soon. You're right: the people must be torn in their cultural allegiances; I don't think they are being asked what their preferences are!
I remember an interview I heard in which people around the Shah said he felt he was giving European values to Iran, and that the middle class was adopting European ways. Seems many do not agree with European ways, and end up reverting to long-standing traditions and culture in places like Turkey.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
If you visited the Turkisk coast and resorts now given over to western hedonism you would understand why many are returning to Islam.
When first visited Turkey the infamous English breakfast and ham sandwich could not be found.
All this changed in a few years of mass tourism and along with it increased signs of those wearing islamic dress, women covering their heads, wearing long dresses and coats.
With thw civil unrest and terrorism I am no longer sure that Istanbul is the safe destination it once was.
Certainly for reasons you mention I can understand some or many Turks wanting to return to their cultural and religious roots.

Last edited by morpeth; Jan 28th 2017 at 9:46 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Which would you consider more likely to turn more to stricter Islamic rules, the cities or areas around the resorts ?
Old Jan 28th 2017, 10:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
https://europa.eu/european-union/abo...bols/anthem_en
I dunno, Mancha, but this is what Google gives me. God forbid we should ever give it any deference, but it does seem to exist.
Ode to Joy from Beethoven's ninth symphony. Wonderful music.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.