British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Jan 26th 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12162450)
And there's that whole cheese-on-fire thing, too.

I haven't tried that yet but have smelt it being served in a restaurant I play in occasionally. I think next time I'll stop in earlier for a bit of dinner first.

la mancha Jan 26th 2017 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12162396)
Didn't you just diss yourself, there?

That was the point. A little humour…or humor?

SultanOfSwing Jan 26th 2017 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12162484)
That was the point. A little humour…or humor?

Just making sure. I don't care which one you use, as long as it's funny.

Lion in Winter Jan 26th 2017 5:36 pm

So, for our BE members who were so worried that upholding Parliamentary sovereignty meant that they wouldn't get their article 50, Corbyn has issued a three-line whip to vote "yes".

Only a little blood on the carpet over that so far. See? The constitution isn't so bad, is it.
Brexit: Labour tensions as Article 50 bill published - BBC News

DigitalGhost Jan 26th 2017 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12162432)
I believe the Doner kebab is of Turkish origin. Gyros are Greek in origin, and they use a different sauce (tzatziki) than the UK kebabs do. They are good, but sometimes I could just kill for a Doner on Naan with garlic sauce though.

Yeah you can't really get them over there or at least I've never seen them. I've never even seen British-style kebabs in Toronto are there are pretty large Greek, British and Turkish communities there.

SultanOfSwing Jan 26th 2017 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12162508)
Yeah you can't really get them over there or at least I've never seen them. I've never even seen British-style kebabs in Toronto are there are pretty large Greek, British and Turkish communities there.

There might be some places that do them, you can usually find most things if you look hard enough.

Gyros do the job in the meantime.

Scamp Jan 26th 2017 5:53 pm

I ducking love a good kebab. Best I've ever had was Afghani. Unreal rocket fuel.

DaveLovesDee Jan 26th 2017 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12162508)

I'd never tried Shawarma until I moved to Toronto, then it became my favourite take-out.

I've even found a great restaurant near me in the UK that does great ones too,

morpeth Jan 26th 2017 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12162103)
Take per-capita wealth out of the equation and they are more European than the British and Irish are IMHO.

Have to admit I cant think of any of the key attributes of what constitutes a European being those that would be attributed to Turkey since the Byzantines left Anatolia. Culture ? History ? Language ? Religion ? Political and social values ?

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 26th 2017 9:27 pm

Wasn't Turkey once called the sick man of Europe?

Dick Dasterdly Jan 26th 2017 9:31 pm

BBC

"Strong consumer spending helped the UK's economy to grow faster than expected at the end of last year.
The economy grew by 0.6% in the October-to-December period, the same rate as in the previous two quarters, according to an initial estimate from the Office for National Statistics.

THE FIGURE INDICATES THAT THE FEARED ECONOMIC SLOWDOWN FOLLOWING THE BREXIT VOTE HAS NOT MATERIALISED."

morpeth Jan 26th 2017 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12162689)
Wasn't Turkey once called the sick man of Europe?

True, but at that time controlled a lot more territory in Europe in current Albania, Bulgaria, etc.

EMR Jan 26th 2017 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12162694)
BBC

"Strong consumer spending helped the UK's economy to grow faster than expected at the end of last year.
The economy grew by 0.6% in the October-to-December period, the same rate as in the previous two quarters, according to an initial estimate from the Office for National Statistics.

THE FIGURE INDICATES THAT THE FEARED ECONOMIC SLOWDOWN FOLLOWING THE BREXIT VOTE HAS NOT MATERIALISED."

Its good news, what is your point.
Exports to the EU due to free market access continue to grow.
EU membership is good for the UK economy.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 26th 2017 9:48 pm

Also good to see that the UK economic growth rate continues to outstrip the overall Eu rate,
as does the U.K. unemployment rate, by quite a margin.

:thumbup:

Annetje Jan 26th 2017 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12162694)
BBC

Yet !!! Brexit hasn't happened Yet !!!