Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
If Cyprus can be an EU member and Turkey can potentially apply for membership, then I think we can count Russia, since most of their population lives east of the Urals.
West of Urals.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
?
2000 - 16, 1984, 2000 +16, 2016.

See symmetry..
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Well I'm not completely evil.

It does annoy me though. In Turkey you have a moderately wealthy and productive country that so badly wants to be European. Turkey knows that it would need to change a lot of its ways to be fully accepted into the EU but the Turkish population are willing to make those changes.

Sadly based upon probably little more than religion and snobbery, their requests to join have always been mockingly humoured and repeatedly shunted right to the back of the queue.
Maybe they want to be European but simply they are not. Almost any definition of what one would call a European with exception that part of Turkey is on the European continent, Turkey would fail to meet. Now with the additional security concerns with border control, I cant see any scenario for Turkey being admitted to the EU.

I am not sure but I thought all member states would have to agree for a new country to be admitted to the EU. I think in such a vote Poland, Greece or Croatia would vote no.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:23 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone remember the days when you could just up sticks from anywhere in the EU and settle down in the UK, unconditionally, no questions asked?

Before Brexit was on the agenda the EU started an infringement procedure against the UK because of its insistence that EU nationals who were unemployed and lacked health insurance were unable to settle in the country.

In ‘t Veld said she was concerned the commission may have dropped its action against the UK despite there being no change in policy.

She said: “We are unable to find evidence of any kind of follow-up from the commission on this infringement.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ed-brexit-vote
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:24 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Maybe they want to be European but simply they are not. Almost any definition of what one would call a European with exception that part of Turkey is on the European continent, Turkey would fail to meet. Now with the additional security concerns with border control, I cant see any scenario for Turkey being admitted to the EU.

I am not sure but I thought all member states would have to agree for a new country to be admitted to the EU. I think in such a vote Poland, Greece or Croatia would vote no.
Turkey has more chance of becoming a new US state than a member of the EU.
A right wing dictatorial president, anti a free press and media, infringing civil rights and spproving torture Erdogan has more in common with Trump than any leader of an EU country.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:28 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's "for sure".

Now they all live in Manchester, take all the jobs, and cause Turkish traffic jams with their benefit range rovers.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:17 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
No, it's "for sure".

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChpCUZyXAAEbZpN.jpg

Now they all live in Manchester, take all the jobs, and cause Turkish traffic jams with their benefit range rovers.
They have to go somewhere, we wont take them.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:30 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Over 750,000 UK manufactured motor vehicles (1.7million produced) are exported to the EU. 2016 figures.
Its no wonder that Nissan etc want under the table support to ensure that they fo not suffer if access to the free market is changed.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:38 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Over 750,000 UK manufactured motor vehicles (1.7million produced) are exported to the EU. 2016 figures.
Its no wonder that Nissan etc want under the table support to ensure that they fo not suffer if access to the free market is changed.
Are there any Brexiters about who can explain how this business of state subsidies for certain sectors is going to mesh in with free trade deals? Won't the potential trade partners object to receiving subsidised foreign goods into their own unsubsidised domestic markets?
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:39 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike banking, it's damned expensive to move manufacturing plants.

Before automakers choose that path, they need to analyse it carefully. If the additional tariffs and limited access to labour is offset by paying no tax and perhaps even receiving subsidies, then it might be worth staying.

The big question would be whether that's just political posturing, or realistically sustainable. If it seems too good to be true, then it might be more fiscally responsible to up sticks sooner than later. But the blood will run very red if that happens.

And not only will a protectionist British industry have problems with foreign competition in their own market, but those on the other side of the trade agreements will undoubtedly demand that protectionist subsidies are history.

But looking at it pragmatically, the UK market isn't all that enormous in the first place. If say, the automakers were forced to address only the UK market, then those manufacturing plants that export 80% of their production to the EU would have to be scaled back considerably. Then you bring in foreign competition... It begs the question of why manufacture in Britain at all?

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 26th 2017 at 10:49 am.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:55 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
If that happened it would essentially become a European army. The same one that was mentioned during Brexit.

Proposed 'EU Army' Hidden From British Voters Until After Brexit » Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Maybe if May is up for a bit of pussy grabbing the UK maybe able to form something with the US for a price.
He is not going to kill off the military and intelligence alliance between America and Britain. There would be no benefit to that and as Ed Snowden proved, America has been using some of GCHQ's nasty little inventions for years.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 10:59 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Take per-capita wealth out of the equation and they are more European than the British and Irish are IMHO.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried to read the arguments on here since I last posted. My head can't take it though. All the ill informed speculations ,with the odd fact thrown in here and there.agghhh

Is there anyone on here who is actually IN business in the uk? Anyone who even works for a company who will be affected by Brexit and who can give some actual on the ground facts about what will happen?
My OH was CEO of a company working in NL .He previously sat on the board of a large vehicle company also in NL.Before that as a senior manager of a Truck company in the UK.
He has read a small portion of the arguments on here and can't believe whats being written by some posters

Theresa May is today negotiating with Donald Trump.. be afraid.. be very afraid as noone within her Government seems to have a clue
Old Jan 26th 2017, 11:16 am
Who - me?

Originally Posted by Vexcore View Post
We voted to leave the EU so we could control immigration, and make our own laws. I voted for the Conservative Party as they gave us the referendum. ALL conservative MPs should accept that to achieve our goals from the referendum, we need to leave the EU and the single market. Let's work together to get us the best deals, and remember who put the government in power, the People for goodness sake.
That wasn't on the ballot paper.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 11:26 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Is there anyone on here who is actually IN business in the uk? Anyone who even works for a company who will be affected by Brexit and who can give some actual on the ground facts about what will happen?
I work in the education sector at the moment. The current line from the top is that it won't affect student numbers all that much. By far the largest number of foreign students in the UK now come from China and European youths should have no issues obtaining student visas. It will probably take the UK out of schemes like Erasmus but tbh Erasmus has become a bit of a thorn in the side of British universities and colleges now anyway.

With regards to European nationals employed as staff, no promises are being made until the government and the EU confirm their plans. If needed then they would probably sponsor academics (professors etc) for UK visas but that would be about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.