British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Jan 25th 2017 4:08 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12161411)
It is definitely one of the more interesting countries that I have visited. Terrifying but interesting.

There are a great many things on my list of what I'd like to see around the world if I ever find myself with the funds and the time to travel extensively. St Petersburg in winter is high up on that list.

DigitalGhost Jan 25th 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12161426)
There are a great many things on my list of what I'd like to see around the world if I ever find myself with the funds and the time to travel extensively. St Petersburg in winter is high up on that list.

I've only ever been to Moscow unfortunately but I would love to see St Petersburg.

I was given a taste of things to come in Russia when immediately upon arrival a gigantic female security officer grabbed me, spread my legs and did a pat down completely unapologetically and without uttering a word apart from a very stern "da" when she was finished.

SultanOfSwing Jan 25th 2017 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12161436)
I've only ever been to Moscow unfortunately but I would love to see St Petersburg.

I'd give Moscow a go as well, of course.

Though, if I had the money I'd go pretty much everywhere.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12161436)
I was given a taste of things to come in Russia when immediately upon arrival a gigantic female security officer grabbed me, spread my legs and did a pat down completely unapologetically and without uttering a word apart from a very stern "da" when she was finished.

Ah, never change, Russia.

DigitalGhost Jan 25th 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12161442)
I'd give Moscow a go as well, of course.

Though, if I had the money I'd go pretty much everywhere.

Ah, never change, Russia.

It was for a stop-over on a connecting flight to Tokyo. I have looked at going back for a longer trip but the paperwork even just for a short visit looks like a real pain in the arse. There are regular Easyjet flights between London, Manchester and Moscow these days but I don't know how many non-business travelers actually use them.

SultanOfSwing Jan 25th 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12161456)
It was for a stop-over on a connecting flight to Tokyo. I have looked at going back for a longer trip but the paperwork even just for a short visit looks like a real pain in the arse. There are regular Easyjet flights between London, Manchester and Moscow these days but I don't know how many non-business travelers actually use them.

I've been so spoiled by visa-waived/dual national travel between the US and the UK that I never even considered the additional paperwork of requiring a visa to visit Russia.

That was disappointingly insular of me. Holy shit, I am an American :eek:

DigitalGhost Jan 25th 2017 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12161460)
I've been so spoiled by visa-waived/dual national travel between the US and the UK that I never even considered the additional paperwork of requiring a visa to visit Russia.

That was disappointingly insular of me. Holy shit, I am an American :eek:

The Russian visa process is a nightmare. The easiest way if you don't mind a short trip is probably to fly somewhere else by Aeroflot and stop in Moscow on the way. That's what I did but it was limited to a stay of no more than 48 hours.

If you want a longer trip then a Russian hotel needs to sponsor you and only the more expensive international hotels will agree to complete the paperwork. Plus the hotel needs to be booked (and usually paid for) before you file the visa application which incidentally costs another non-refundable $160.

DaveLovesDee Jan 25th 2017 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12161391)
The media disagree.

Thousands use 'fake life' scam to get into the UK - BBC News

Fortunately Brexit will probably kill both anyway though.

The media don't always report the facts accurately though, do they. Especially regarding the EU.

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12161415)
Surinder Singh case was heard in the ECJ.

Correct. After the UK court referred it there

The Surinder Singh Route – Understanding the Law

Mr Singh challenged the decision before the UK courts, which then decided to refer the matter for an opinion from the EU Court of Justice on whether Mr Singh had a right to reside in the UK on the basis of EU law.

SultanOfSwing Jan 25th 2017 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12161466)
The Russian visa process is a nightmare. The easiest way if you don't mind a short trip is probably to fly somewhere else by Aeroflot and stop in Moscow on the way. That's what I did but it was limited to a stay of no more than 48 hours.

If you want a longer trip then a Russian hotel needs to sponsor you and only the more expensive international hotels will agree to complete the paperwork. Plus the hotel needs to be booked (and usually paid for) before you file the visa application which incidentally costs another non-refundable $160.

Yeah, I checked the US Embassy in Moscow's site regarding that. A nightmare indeed.

mrken30 Jan 25th 2017 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12161466)

We recently watched the documentary on Netflix about Catherine the Great. She did a lot of good things but was held back. She was years ahead of her time.

It interesting what is required for a Russian visa.

The Consular Division of the Embassy also has the right to call the applicants for an interview and request, if needed:
• a bank statement from the applicant;
• a statement from the employer regarding the applicant's wages for the preceding year/ half year, or month;
• medical insurance valid in the country to be visited and fully covering the period of the first trip;
• documents regarding the applicant's ownership of property in the country of his citizenship;
• a certificate on the makeup of the applicant's family

la mancha Jan 25th 2017 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12160719)
:rofl::rofl: You've got some cracking material overnight. This is ****ing hilarious. :rofl::rofl:

Fantastic idea. La Manchato run them? Seems to suit quite well, might try and paint them or give an extra 5 mins free time for the unfortunate poor.

Technically, if as you predict, the UK slips into some form of recession, it will go backwards. So to move forwards, at some point it would have to return to the point where it started going backwards...perhaps referred to as 'today'.

You can generate anti-establishment / elitist hate about literally anything can't you?

The bit I've underlined - few questions:
Why isn't this possible under the EU?
Do you know all of this for certain?
Who pays for this?
Where will these technology institutes be? Are they like universities or the institutes that sort of used to exist?
Are these your ideas or UKIP? Or Labour? Or someone else?

Bullshit. You're so full of utter rubbish it's phenomenal. It's all your ideas and your prophecies based on your hatred for those in higher classes or more successful than you. I'd be amazed if you weren't supportive of the idiots running around with an anarchy flag smashing windows in New York the other day.

Village idiot's been let on the internet again, someone call and let them know.

You do not know me so it’s no use trying to categorise me. I do not hate higher classes, whatever they may be. How do you know I am not one? I have always been Tory until recently when I changed to UKIP, seeing as how Cameron was giving away our country to the EU.

I repeat what I posted. ‘I did not say it is only rich people. I said it is rich people telling the poor it was a mistake the way they voted and we, these rich people, are starting organisations to tell you where you, the poor, went wrong and it is better for you poor people to stay where you are in your sink estates and members of the dysfunctional EU. No one is pretending.’

All my ideas and prophecies based on my hatred of the higher classes? Are you saying Open Britain does not exist? Are you saying Branson is not starting an anti-Brexit campaign? Get real instead of going off on a rant.
If you say I am full of rubbish then you must also accuse over 17 million others here. Another expat trying to tell British people how to live?

Once and for all, Britain out of the EU will be able to negotiate anything it wants free of EU interference. If you want to know more about EU business rules and regulations then contact the EU website.

Nice to see you taking the piss out of poor people, by the way.

As for anarchy flags, as a UKIP supporter, I dislike anything red that purports to be for the people when that entity is really only looking out for itself...

la mancha Jan 25th 2017 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12160755)

My quotation is from Mullins, word for word, not Soros.

Novocastrian Jan 25th 2017 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12161478)
My quotation is from Mullins, word for word, not Soros.

Riiiight. 1984 turns out to be 2016 after all.

It has a certain symmetry.

DigitalGhost Jan 25th 2017 5:04 pm

I'm expecting DD might have to clean his screen off after reading this.

Euro 'could fail', says man tipped as US ambassador to EU - BBC News

la mancha Jan 25th 2017 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12161483)
Riiiight. 1984 turns out to be 2016 after all.

It has a certain symmetry.

?

Red Eric Jan 25th 2017 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12161380)
Turkey is never getting into the EU. They've been dangling that carrot for so long that not even the Turks themselves believe that it will happen anymore.

You know what? I'd have had a lot more respect for you if you'd posted that this time (or thereabouts) last year.