British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Jan 21st 2017 5:39 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12157752)
Officially working. Employed in Britain. Not the bedraggled remnants of unemployed Eastern Europe who I used to see waiting in groups for a builder to pick them up outside a builder’s merchant or on street corners for a day’s work on the black. They have all gone. And good riddance to them. Give a British builder a chance. The remittances they send back have also declined, in real terms and with devaluation. My heart rejoices. Welcome to the world.

I must say I have come upon Eastern European people working in Heathrow and other London hotels and they have been excellent workers, polite and pleasant.

EMR Jan 21st 2017 5:42 pm

Officially working. Employed in Britain. Not the bedraggled remnants of unemployed Eastern Europe who I used to see waiting in groups for a builder to pick them up outside a builder’s merchant or on street corners for a day’s work on the black. They have all gone. And good riddance to them. Give a British builder a chance. The remittances they send back have also declined, in real terms and with devaluation. My heart rejoices. Welcome to the world.

Your world, not a nice place to live in and one which reflects the views of a narrow minded few.
We Brits are much better than that as our history has proved time after time.

Thete is a growing shortage of plumbers, carpenters, brick layers, ekectricians so sorry to upset you it will be EU migrants who continue to filll that gap..

When finally our new atomic power stations are built the skills needed will not come from the locals but from the French, the Chinese and a myriad of other nationalities.

la mancha Jan 21st 2017 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12157766)
Your world, not a nice place to live in and one which reflects the views of a narrow minded few.

Thete is a growing shortage of plumbers, carpenters, brick layers, ekectricians so sorry to upset you it will be EU migrants who continue to filll that gap..

When finally our new atomic power stations are built the skills needed will not come from the locals but from the French, the Chinese and a myriad of other nationalities.

My world, that’s right, and the way it is going to be. If you don’t like it then stay in the yesterday. And the same to all the rest of you sad-assed depressives. No deal is better than a bad deal for Britain. Hear that, Brussels? My happiness is without bounds.

I’m quite enjoying this.

Bipat Jan 21st 2017 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12157760)
Business is about profit, it is about getting a decision in your favour not in favour of the other party.
I am british, I want the UK to succeed.
I really do not care who we trade with so long as the UK benefits.
I see nothing brexit is promising that is going to do anythimg but danage the growth in employment and prosperity that the UK has been enjoying as a member of the EU in recent years..
Only an idiot would expect UK companies to reduce salaries, is that what brexit means to you ?.
Growth, investment and employment come from profits,.
Someone has to research , test and develop new drugs that are eventually copied and have generic alternatives.

So, should other countries stop investing in the UK and creating jobs?
Or carry on and get nothing in return?
Are they not contributing to the prosperity of the UK
Are you expecting charity??
Who is going to trade with nothing in it for themselves? Including within the EU!

Regarding drug companies I said "extortionate" profits and salaries, (Excluding Burroughs Wellcome). It is a balance with the importance of the NHS.

Red Eric Jan 21st 2017 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12157771)
My happiness is without bounds.

Funny - you sound the same miseryguts you were before the referendum. Only without your mask on any more.

Bipat Jan 21st 2017 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12157766)

So when the Chinese are investing in the UK, they shouldn't get any returns?
As you said above UK should always have the "upper hand" only the UK should benefit? 'Narrow minded'?

DaveLovesDee Jan 21st 2017 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12157683)

Arron Banks launches Breitbart-style site Westmonster

‘Anti-establishment’ site is being edited by Nigel Farage’s former press officer and will mix aggregation and some original content

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12157694)
And this has what to do with the EU?

The source is anti-EU.

The remittances they send back have also declined, in real terms and with devaluation.

When the pound dropped, it made any money sent back to Eastern Europe much better value.

EMR Jan 21st 2017 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12157778)
So when the Chinese are investing in the UK, they shouldn't get any returns?
As you said above UK should always have the "upper hand" only the UK should benefit? 'Narrow minded'?

I do not support the Chinese investment in the UK nuclear program.
I do not beieve that we should be focussing on nuclear.
I started a thread on this " Selling England by the pound "..

Bipat Jan 21st 2017 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12157783)
I do not support the Chinese investment in the UK nuclear program.
I do not beieve that we should be focussing on nuclear.
I started a thread on this " Selling England by the pound "..

At last something we agree on.
Perhaps you might agree that other countries are not going to trade without benefit to themselves, they are not there to give the UK charity (neither were the EU countries).

DaveLovesDee Jan 21st 2017 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12157791)
Perhaps you might agree that other countries are not going to trade without benefit to themselves, they are not there to give the UK charity (neither were the EU countries).

EU rules ensured the same set of rules applied to all EU countries, including the UK.

EMR Jan 21st 2017 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12157772)
So, should other countries stop investing in the UK and creating jobs?
Or carry on and get nothing in return?
Are they not contributing to the prosperity of the UK
Are you expecting charity??
Who is going to trade with nothing in it for themselves? Including within the EU!

Regarding drug companies I said "extortionate" profits and salaries, (Excluding Burroughs Wellcome). It is a balance with the importance of the NHS.

I welcome new investment that creates UK jobs or does not result in cheaper imports tthat put UK jobs at risk..
I do not regard any profit as extortiante providing that employees are treated fairly, taxes are paid and the company meets its legal obligations.

EMR Jan 21st 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12157791)

I do not care providing the UK benefits even if it if 51 to 49.

EMR Jan 21st 2017 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12157771)
My world, that’s right, and the way it is going to be. If you don’t like it then stay in the yesterday. And the same to all the rest of you sad-assed depressives. No deal is better than a bad deal for Britain. Hear that, Brussels? My happiness is without bounds.

I’m quite enjoying this.

Another poster who has vera Lynn playing in the background.
Have you considered moving to where your Ukip leader is standing ?
He will be in desperate need of some support..

Bipat Jan 21st 2017 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12157806)
I do not care providing the UK benefits even if it if 51 to 49.

What have you got against 50/50, particularly with a country which is a major investor and job creator for the UK.

You are frequently accuse Brexit voters of xenophobia and being against foreigners but you seem keen on unfair deals with other countries and "keeping the upper hand" and believing that they will be stupid enough not to regard their own interests (which only the UK are entitled to do, being of a superior kind).

Red Eric Jan 21st 2017 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12157796)
EU rules ensured the same set of rules applied to all EU countries, including the UK.

Ahem.

The same set of rules, yes (possibly). Without taking into account the rather different circumstances of some of those countries. The UK would have been amongst those most privileged of EU countries for whom applying the same set of rules had the least detrimental effects - and that's before applying the highly controversial rebate and all the other get-out clauses which apply (unless they don't apply through special dispensation to opt back in again at whim). So not exactly a level playing field - rather one tilted very much in the UK's favour in many ways, though never described as such by the Eurosceptic UK press, of course.

But hey - what the hell? The UK voted out, so will be subjected to rather fierce competition from countries outside the EU, negotiated by the UK on its own and without the clout of the rest of the trading bloc. Go TeamUK.

Step forward that nice Mr Trump. He seems like a nice guy who wants the best for us - after all, he likes owning golf courses and hotels. There has to be something in that, doesn't there?