British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Jan 21st 2017 8:22 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12157255)
Now now EMR give the guy a chance.

You seem to be confusing Trumpie with your own great and wonderful Eu Com.President Drunkie Junkie who has been merrily screwing you silly for years.

:rofl:

Yours, I believe

https://d2nyfqh3g1stw3.cloudfront.ne...x150_14833.jpg

:shades_smile:

EMR Jan 21st 2017 8:47 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
I see that Boris is no longer confident of a trade deal with the US that benefits the UK but now optimistic.
How soon before it just becomes hopefull.

Annetje Jan 21st 2017 9:43 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Interesting reading

Theresa May’s high-stakes trade gamble – POLITICO

jimenato Jan 21st 2017 9:50 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12157440)

I like this bit...


The imbalance was laid bare by Italian Trade Minister Carlo Calenda at the end of last year, when he recounted to Bloomberg TV one of his arguments with British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson. “[Johnson] said: ‘You’ll sell less prosecco.’ I said: ‘OK, you’ll sell less fish and chips, but I’ll sell less prosecco to one country and you’ll sell less to 27 countries.’”
It's something the Breckers have always failed to understand - that we need them more than they need us.

Bipat Jan 21st 2017 10:04 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12157425)
I see that Boris is no longer confident of a trade deal with the US that benefits the UK but now optimistic.
How soon before it just becomes hopefull.

He is busy elsewhere at the moment!
I still think Mrs May should find him an appropriate other job!

Boris Johnson in Kolkata: Boris Johnson regales students at Presidency University | Kolkata News - Times of India

Bipat Jan 21st 2017 10:08 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12157443)
I like this bit...

It's something the Breckers have always failed to understand - that we need them more than they need us.

Are you saying that post Brexit the UK will not trade with any EU countries?

However there are about 167 other countries not members of the EU including 24 other European countries.
How did UK manage before they joined the EEC?

Annetje Jan 21st 2017 10:19 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12157453)
Are you saying that post Brexit the UK will not trade with any EU countries?

However there are about 167 other countries not members of the EU including 24 other European countries.
How did UK manage before they joined the EEC?

Hey, I am sure the UK WILL have trade deals in the end. The problem is, surviving until these deals are negotiated. Considering they are not allowed to negotiate whilst being a EU member, it might mean they cannot start with new deals before 2019 or even beyond. And as has been said millions of time before, a trade deal is not ''done and dusted'' within a year ... it will take years.
And a deal with the EU ... depends, I think, very much on the divorce. There will be little deals to be made, but that as well will take years.
Also, frankly, I am not sure what the UK wants to trade ? They don't have too much to sell ?

I my view, first few years will be a survival battle for England and Wales. Maybe for the whole UK, but I think the other 2 will go their own way.

Red Eric Jan 21st 2017 10:25 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12157451)
He is busy elsewhere at the moment!
I still think Mrs May should find him an appropriate other job!

Boris Johnson in Kolkata: Boris Johnson regales students at Presidency University | Kolkata News - Times of India

She probably finds him to be a useful diversion from the real issues at the moment ;)

Fredbargate Jan 21st 2017 10:28 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12157456)
Hey, I am sure the UK WILL have trade deals in the end. The problem is, surviving until these deals are negotiated. Considering they are not allowed to negotiate whilst being a EU member, it might mean they cannot start with new deals before 2019 or even beyond. And as has been said millions of time before, a trade deal is not ''done and dusted'' within a year ... it will take years.
And a deal with the EU ... depends, I think, very much on the divorce. There will be little deals to be made, but that as well will take years.
Also, frankly, I am not sure what the UK wants to trade ? They don't have too much to sell ?

I my view, first few years will be a survival battle for England and Wales. Maybe for the whole UK, but I think the other 2 will go their own way.

So one example:-
Do you think that the Spanish will let their fruit and vegetables rot for years waiting until a paper is signed.
Or will they continue to ship them to the UK

Former Lancastrian Jan 21st 2017 10:33 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12157461)
So one example:-
Do you think that the Spanish will let their fruit and vegetables rot for years waiting until a paper is signed.
Or will they continue to ship them to the UK

Im also sure car manufacturers like Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi and a plethora of others will still continue to export to the UK.

DaveLovesDee Jan 21st 2017 10:33 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12157443)
I like this bit...



It's something the Breckers have always failed to understand - that we need them more than they need us.

I've argued this with a few Leavers, and there response was 'Those countries will still buy what they buy now'.


Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12157453)
Are you saying that post Brexit the UK will not trade with any EU countries?

However there are about 167 other countries not members of the EU including 24 other European countries.

No-one is saying there'll be no trade with EU countries, but it'll still have to be under EU rules.

Of course the UK and EU will continue trading with each other. The question will be, what impact on the current trade levels would leaving the customs union have?

What are the shipping costs to Mumbai, Perth or Miami compared to the costs of shipping the same volume to Munich, Paris or Milan?


How did UK manage before they joined the EEC?
By having a strong manufacturing base, making things other countries wanted to buy.

amideislas Jan 21st 2017 10:37 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12157461)
So one example:-
Do you think that the Spanish will let their fruit and vegetables rot for years waiting until a paper is signed.
Or will they continue to ship them to the UK

Fog in the channel.

The UK is not the only buyer of fruit and veg on the planet. There are free trade agreements with about 50 other countries that buy such things.

Of course, they aren't the queen's loyal subjects, but they still buy stuff.

But there's another, probably more realistic perspective, and quite simply put: Why would Britain tariff, or otherwise stop buying fruit and veg from Spain? Or any of the European imports it is dependent upon?

DaveLovesDee Jan 21st 2017 10:40 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12157461)
So one example:-
Do you think that the Spanish will let their fruit and vegetables rot for years waiting until a paper is signed.
Or will they continue to ship them to the UK

The Spanish can ship them to the UK as much as they like. If the customs fees aren't going to be paid then the fruit sits in the hold of the ship, wasting both fruit and the vessel's ability to earn money for it's owners.

Just because a vessel arrives in port, it doesn't mean it clears customs.

Annetje Jan 21st 2017 10:40 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12157461)
So one example:-
Do you think that the Spanish will let their fruit and vegetables rot for years waiting until a paper is signed.
Or will they continue to ship them to the UK

Of course they will still sell them to the UK, amongst other countries they sell them to.
It will (probably) just be more expensive for the UK consumers having to add duties to them.

Former Lancastrian Jan 21st 2017 10:44 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12157468)


But there's another, probably more realistic perspective, and quite simply put: Why would Britain tariff, or otherwise stop buying fruit and veg from Spain? Or any of the European imports it is dependent upon?

They wouldn't unless that country decided tried to punish the UK by not selling to them or making prices more expensive. I don't think either that the UK would stop selling stuff to any country unless its the tit for tat trade war which I don't see happening.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:57 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.