British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Jan 20th 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12156826)
... perhaps he will bring back some more exotic samples (bananas --not people!).

And lets not forget the spiders that come with them.

Cue a million Daily Fail articles about Britain's 'monster spider invasion' and clickbait like '10 reasons why the UK is turning into Australia. Number 8 will make you shit yourself'.

Lion in Winter Jan 20th 2017 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12156828)
And lets not forget the spiders that come with them.

Cue a million Daily Fail articles about Britain's 'monster spider invasion' and clickbait like '10 reasons why the UK is turning into Australia. Number 8 will make you shit yourself'.

Have you ever noticed how truth really is stranger than fiction?

Terrified mother found a DEADLY SPIDER in a bunch of BANANAS | UK | News | Daily Express

SultanOfSwing Jan 20th 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12156833)
Have you ever noticed how truth really is stranger than fiction?

Terrified mother found a DEADLY SPIDER in a bunch of BANANAS | UK | News | Daily Express

Wait, what? Four hour erections? That has to be satire. Tell me it's satire, please.

Lion in Winter Jan 20th 2017 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12156838)
Wait, what? Four hour erections? That has to be satire. Tell me it's satire, please.

I don't even know how to tell the difference any more. There's a Saturday Night Live sketch happening in DC as we speak.

DaveLovesDee Jan 20th 2017 3:37 pm

Public back Brexit plan but think EU will nix it

Our initial polling, conducted on Tuesday night and Wednesday, suggests the announcement went down well. All of the key negotiating points we asked about met with majority support. Most were uncontroversial and supported by both Remain and Leave voters: control of immigration, an open border with Ireland, guaranteeing the rights of existing EU immigrants and continuing to work with the EU on security matters all received over 70% support.

The two more divisive issues were the exact trading relationship between Britain and the EU. A majority of people supported Britain leaving the single market (57%) and the customs union (56%), but there was a contrast in opinion between Leave and Remain voters. A vast majority of Leave voters approved of both, Remain voters were opposed to leaving the single market and evenly split over the customs union.
An open border with Ireland is incompatible with Ireland's EU obligations regarding free movement.

SultanOfSwing Jan 20th 2017 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12156841)
I don't even know how to tell the difference any more. There's a Saturday Night Live sketch happening in DC as we speak.

It was like a sucker punch, that headline. OK, spiders, bananas, FOUR HOUR ERECTIONS ...

WTF?

Apparently the venom can cause priapism, though. Who knew? The Express got something right :eek:

Lion in Winter Jan 20th 2017 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12156843)
Apparently the venom can cause priapism, though. Who knew? The Express got something right :eek:

Maybe the EU knew more than we thought when forbidding curved bananas.

SultanOfSwing Jan 20th 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12156844)
Maybe the EU knew more than we thought when forbidding curved bananas.

I must have been asleep for the meeting about bananas. What is the deal with straight bananas vs curved ones? They all taste like prolapsed arse anyway.

Lion in Winter Jan 20th 2017 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12156845)
I must have been asleep for the meeting about bananas. What is the deal with straight bananas vs curved ones? They all taste like prolapsed arse anyway.

Bananas make emotions run high. Apparently it's just part of classification into Class 1 and Class 2 bananas.

Bendy Bananas - the Myth to end all Myths

And I don't want to know how you know what that tastes like.

DaveLovesDee Jan 20th 2017 3:46 pm

Brazilian Wandering Spider

P. fera and P. nigriventer are widely considered the most venomous species of spider.[4][5] Their venom contains a potent neurotoxin, known as PhTx3, which acts as a broad-spectrum calcium channel blocker that inhibits glutamate release, calcium uptake and also glutamate uptake in neural synapses. At deadly concentrations, this neurotoxin causes loss of muscle control and breathing problems, resulting in paralysis and eventual asphyxiation. In addition, the venom causes intense pain and inflammation following a bite due to an excitatory effect the venom has on the serotonin 5-HT4 receptors of sensory nerves. This sensory nerve stimulation causes a release of neuropeptides such as substance P which triggers inflammation and pain.[13] The median lethal dose (LD50) of the venom is 134 µg/kg.[14]

Aside from causing intense pain, the venom of the spider can also cause priapism in humans. Erections resulting from the bite are uncomfortable, can last for many hours and can lead to impotence. A component of the venom (Tx2-6) is being studied for use in erectile dysfunction treatments.[15][16][17]
An erection for long periods might be fun, but are the potential after-effects worth it?

SultanOfSwing Jan 20th 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12156847)
Bananas make emotions run high. Apparently it's just part of classification into Class 1 and Class 2 bananas.

Bendy Bananas - the Myth to end all Myths

Of all the things to get bent out of shape (:sneaky:) over, that's a good one.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12156847)
And I don't want to know how you know what that tastes like.

Pardon my hyperbole. I just really ****ing hate bananas. There aren't a lot of foods I don't like, but they just straight up make me gag every time I smell them :sick:

InVinoVeritas Jan 20th 2017 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12156826)
I said "more", including odd shaped or small ones (bananas --not people). Boris is there at the moment promoting increased trade perhaps he will bring back some more exotic samples (bananas --not people!).

Is that a banana in your pocket, Boris, or are you just happy to be back?

SultanOfSwing Jan 20th 2017 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12156850)
Brazilian Wandering Spider

An erection for long periods might be fun, but are the potential after-effects worth it?

I mean, I like knobbing as much as the next man, but four hours? I've got shit to do. Like go to sleep and not be in pain for a start.

Fredbargate Jan 20th 2017 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12156673)
Nothing's free in this world Fred. Got your chequebook at the ready to pay your subs to the UK?

Gambling tax blow as Gibraltar is deemed 'one entity' with UK

It's already happened and we are already contributing to the UK to help pay for their pathetic management with their ever increasing debt.

However that was an EU lawyer I wonder what happens post Brexit

Luckily most revenue is earned outside the EU and thus is not taxable.

Bipat Jan 20th 2017 3:56 pm

'Brazilian' bananas---they are different from those I was describing. I have never found any spiders. Occasionally mice get at them but plenty of them already in UK!
Perhaps the UK could manufacture a lower useful dose from the Brazilion ones.