British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Jan 20th 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

This gave me a chuckle:

One German colleague said to me jokingly: "I didn't realise that the EU had decided to leave the UK until I heard your prime minister's speech"

Lion in Winter Jan 20th 2017 1:29 pm

Fog in the channel. Continent isolated.

Red Eric Jan 20th 2017 1:39 pm

Knowing what a keen student he is of the foreign language press, I asked Dick a while back what the Spaniards are making of it so far. Judging by the complete silence, I'd say it isn't anywhere near the front pages there, either.

Garbatellamike Jan 20th 2017 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12156622)
My God - how many mistakes can you make in one short post :eek::eek::eek:

To defend EMR that's not the most mistakes he's made in a single post - you are being a tad harsh.....

;)

amideislas Jan 20th 2017 2:00 pm

If you're referring to the EU leaving the UK, haven't yet seen anything about it. I think that's probably a uniquely British thing.

If you're referring the UK leaving the EU, it was page 1 and 2 news until about August. Now it seems to have been relegated to the "international" section. Gets a column once a week or so. Essentially, it's old news.

But El Pais did say this with regard to May's speech:

“Until recently the British Government promised its citizens and businesses they would not lose access to the interior market of the EU, while at the same time demanding permission to limit immigration and discriminate between European citizens, cutting off free movement of people in the common area – a legally impossible, morally evil and politically unviable requirement.

“The nub of her 12-point programme is this exclusion of the UK from the market of 500 million consumers, which will fall to 65 million, plus those Britain can add through new trade deals – something hypothetical and difficult for a country which after four decades has lost experience in this arena outside the Union.”

It added: “Everything in May’s speech grated. The promise of a “positive” accord is fallacious. It is not positive to spurn European citizens, nor to discriminate against residents. Nor does it make sense to threaten the Europeans with whom she will have to negotiate over the next two years.’

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3f...8/11/boris.jpg
Boris Johnson attacks French President using Nazi comparison
It seems though, that May's new spin on obtaining and eating the cake did raise a few front page responses on the continent:

Other European newspapers also reacted strongly, with Germany's Die Welt accusing the Prime Minister of “leading Great Britain into isolation” on its front page.

And La Reppublica, in Italy, said that “London gets its wall”, a reference to US President-elect Donald Trump’s plan to build a border wall with Mexico.
Also, this:

Doing Brexit the hard way
Talk global, act local

As Malcolm Barr of J.P. Morgan points out, this is a dangerous line. No deal would mean falling back on WTO terms, implying not just non-tariff barriers and lost access to the single market but actual tariffs on exports of cars, pharmaceuticals, processed foods and much else. The EU would suffer too, but its goods exports to Britain are worth only 3% of its GDP; Britain’s to the EU are worth 12% of its own GDP. Mrs May has made a powerful case for her version of a hard Brexit. But it is Britain, not the 27, that is the demandeur in these negotiations. And that will make securing a good outcome hard in every sense.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 20th 2017 2:07 pm

Latest YouGov Poll.....

The latest YouGov poll shows that a MASSIVE 53% happy and just 26% unhappy, if Theresa May delivers her 12 Point Brexit plan, in which she confirms that she would rather walk away with no deal rather than accept a bad deal.

This huge support is despite the fact that 56% believe the EU will oppose her plans, so the British are being very realistic.

This poll confirms a HUGE SWING in favour of Brexit, despite the Remoaner campaigns of the BBC and Sky, with 56% thinking that her plan will be GOOD FOR BRITAIN, whereas just 19% think it bad and 26% with no opinion.

This shows Remoaners' claims are TOTALLY FALSE that many who voted to Leave now want to Remain. IN FACT support to Remoaner has SUNK from 48% to just 19%.GREAT NEWS - The latest YouGov poll shows that a MASSIVE 53% happy and just 26% unhappy, if Theresa May delivers her 12 Point Brexit plan, in which she confirms that she would rather walk away with no deal rather than accept a bad deal.
This huge support is despite the fact that 56% believe the EU will oppose her plans, so the British are being very realistic.
This poll confirms a HUGE SWING in favour of Brexit, despite the Remoaner campaigns of the BBC and Sky, with 56% thinking that her plan will be GOOD FOR BRITAIN, whereas just 19% think it bad and 26% with no opinion.
This shows Remoaners' claims are TOTALLY FALSE that many who voted to Leave now want to Remain.

IN FACT support to Remoaner has SUNK from 48% to just 19%.

This shows that if "Don't knows" are stripped out, as happens in a Referendum, 73% support LEAVE and just 27% want to Remain.

Pretty well reinforces my recent links as well as my own opinion. :thumbup:

Surely it's time to stop moaning and get behind the Democratic Decision. :nod:

SultanOfSwing Jan 20th 2017 2:09 pm

Hey, Eric, how's your Wank Word Bingo card? I almost got a full house after that one.

Red Eric Jan 20th 2017 2:16 pm

:lol::lol: I'll have to check whether lower case occurrences count.

amideislas Jan 20th 2017 2:19 pm

You're wrong, Dick.

Fully 100% of those who voted leave, voted to leave. The "remoaners" are a fig newton of your imagination.

Lion in Winter Jan 20th 2017 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12156767)
:lol::lol: I'll have to check whether lower case occurrences count.

I was more worried about the random upper case instances. I think Dick may have fallen under the influence of the Germans.

InVinoVeritas Jan 20th 2017 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12156700)
GOOD NEWS ...

Gambia's new President has confirmed that trading with UK is one of his priorities ...
Hooray .... The UK will still have bananas, in exchange, might have to accept migrants, but hey, they are NOT from the EU !

Good news or what !!!! :thumbsup:

Sorry : source Sky news

Oh, goodee - back to curved bananas :thumbsup:

Lion in Winter Jan 20th 2017 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12156778)
Oh, goodee - back to curved bananas :thumbsup:

What are these rogue curved bananas that have clearly been smuggled into the UK on the back of a lorry?

Waitrose Fairtrade 7 small Caribbean Bananas in a bag - Waitrose

Clearly someone in Brussels has been getting a payoff to send these things to the UK to clutter up our shelves and steal our shoppers, and probably clog up the NHS as people suffer from the after effects of eating them.

Bipat Jan 20th 2017 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12156783)
What are these rogue curved bananas that have clearly been smuggled into the UK on the back of a lorry?

Waitrose Fairtrade 7 small Caribbean Bananas in a bag - Waitrose

Clearly someone in Brussels has been getting a payoff to send these things to the UK to clutter up our shelves and steal our shoppers, and probably clog up the NHS as people suffer from the after effects of eating them.

India is the largest world producer of bananas, all sizes and even red ones. Bought by the bunch or grown in the garden not in a bag (in newspaper!).
Perhaps Post Brexit the UK will import more, said to be useful in diarrhoea so cheaper for the NHS to prescribe instead of drugs.:lol:

Lion in Winter Jan 20th 2017 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12156816)
India is the largest world producer of bananas, all sizes and even red ones. Bought by the bunch or grown in the garden not in a bag (in newspaper!).
Perhaps Post Brexit the UK will import more, said to be useful in diarrhoea so cheaper for the NHS to prescribe instead of drugs.:lol:

I think all bananas are non-EU immigrants, aren't they? I mean, how often does one see a Polish banana? So banana importation is not likely to be affected by Brexit one way or another.

Bipat Jan 20th 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12156821)
I think all bananas are non-EU immigrants, aren't they? I mean, how often does one see a Polish banana? So banana importation is not likely to be affected by Brexit one way or another.

I said "more", including odd shaped or small ones (bananas --not people). Boris is there at the moment promoting increased trade perhaps he will bring back some more exotic samples (bananas --not people!).