British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Jan 19th 2017 1:13 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

I have found a photo proving the existence of the left wing...

Other than that, these constant references to the left wing are like being stuck in the 1970s or early 80s and shed no light at all on being part of the EU, or not. The moment someone red-baits me it tells me they have no actual, sustainable position and are just slinging the "leftie" label and hoping nobody will notice.

We have opted out. I believe that to be a net loss in many ways that I don't need to repeat. Others don't. OK, but that's nothing at all to do with being left wing.

In any case, Mrs. May has said that we "will leave the single market" and that "we will have a comprehensive trade agreement" with the EU bloc at the same time. Would anyone care to define the difference? Because from here it looks like international businesses will take their profits and to that extent little will change.

Bipat Jan 19th 2017 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12155840)
As one of the foremost proponents on here of the idea that there's a whole world beyond the EU (some of which comprises the resto of Europe), I thought you might have an idea as to why, before the referendum and right up until now, that world was available for free trade and now that the chips are down that world has suddenly disappeared. It's now our deal with the EU or we'll turn into a tax haven.

I find it inexplicable but then I didn't vote for that. You did - that's why I thought you might know why the UK couldn't simply walk away with no deal and say "Doesn't matter. Plenty more fish in the sea", rather than issuing a threat. The tune appears to have changed rather drastically (but not unpredictably, it has to be acknowledged).

The world has not disappeared (apart from on this thread, possibly), obviously the UK has to have some sort of a deal with the EU (as the rest of the world has) and as with every other 'deal' both sides want the best possible for themselves.
Hope Boris is being reasonably sensible--waiting to see his meeting with Mamata--known by some as 'street cat'. Will be interesting.

UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson meets PM Modi | Business Standard News

Bipat Jan 19th 2017 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12155872)
I take it you haver Vera Lynn playing in the background so outdated is your view of the workd.
The UK us declining in economic and political influence.
If we were so powerfull how come the EU is not caving in to our demands.

For gods sake why don't you waje up and live in the 21st century.

Who is on our doorstep that we can have free trade rekationships with that are not in the EU.
Fir gods saje why don't you look at an atlas.
Hete is a logic test for you ?
What is the transport cost and delivery period for a container full of UK goods to Berlin compared to Bostton or Mumbai...

Who says that I am not open minded?

Vera Lynn? Just listening to the radio driving back from town
---Petula Clark---Don't sleep in the Subway Darling---what a brilliant remainer song?:lol::lol:

Fredbargate Jan 19th 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12155872)
I take it you haver Vera Lynn playing in the background so outdated is your view of the workd.
The UK us declining in economic and political influence.
If we were so powerfull how come the EU is not caving in to our demands.

For gods sake why don't you waje up and live in the 21st century.

Who is on our doorstep that we can have free trade rekationships with that are not in the EU.
Fir gods saje why don't you look at an atlas.
Hete is a logic test for you ?
What is the transport cost and delivery period for a container full of UK goods to Berlin compared to Bostton or Mumbai...

It's not surprising that the EU or the rest of the world have difficulty dealing with British businesses

A problem that will remain until someone produces a machine that can translate gobbledygook into reasonable English

EMR Jan 19th 2017 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155944)
The EU has changed. It wasn't what the British electorate voted to join and then remain a member of in the days way before I was born. If it had remained as just a common trade area between the countries of Western Europe like it was supposed to then all of this unpleasantness could be avoided.

The distant pasr has no relevance, the UK governments including Thatcher agreed to and even approved changes as in the case of Free market..
You might as well argue a case for a return to pounds shillings and pence..
For you the only thing that matters is immigrstion and if it was not those from the EU it would be those from the Commonwealth..

DaveLovesDee Jan 19th 2017 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155823)
The reality is that there is no such thing as EU money. The EU doesn't produce money out of thin air. The majority of that money was rebates from what Britain had already paid in.

I'll use small words.

The rebate is taken from what we pay to the EU before we pay it. The money for UK projects comes from the money we actually send to the EU.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155861)
That applies when you are four years old and get carrot sticks instead of chicken nuggets.

It doesn't apply when you are one of the wealthiest and most powerful nations on Earth and are in trade negotiations with other first world countries that are situated on your door step.

The UK is the 7th largest economy.

India Overtakes Britain as the World’s Sixth-Largest Economy

5th France
6th India
7th UK

The EU's GDP is around US$17.1 trillion
The UK's GDP is around US$2.6 trillion
EU 17.1 - UK 2.6 = US$14.5 trillion, or still more than 5.5 x the UK's current GDP, without taking into account any hits GDP takes post-Brexit.

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12155882)
May is very obviously setting up the scenario that when we don't get what we want, it won't be her fault it will be the EU's - they did it deliberately to punish us.

It has been a theme right through this - that whatever happens it won't be the leavers' fault - it will be someone else's.

It's already started.

EU wins first round of Brexit battle by 'forcing UK out of single market', former adviser warns Theresa May

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155889)
The EU isn't a nation. I'm not entirely sure what it is really and I'm not even sure if the EU itself knows. ;)

It's a Union. The European Union.

The United States is also a Union.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155910)
It isn't a contradiction. Britain doesn't necessarily want to become the new Switzerland, Luxembourg or Hong Kong but it if it has no other option from the EU then what choice will the British have?

Why does it have to be an option from the EU? I thought the UK was 'taking back control'?

a) Either there's a trade deal with the EU, or there is not.
b) Either there's a customs union with the EU, or there is not.
c) Either there's financial passporting with the EU, or there is not.

If the UK chooses to become a tax haven, that has absolutely nothing to do with either a, b or c.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155920)
I would have preferred a customs union and free trade area that does not include complete freedom of movement. That is all that I have ever wanted from the EU and my opinion has never changed.

Unfortunately the EU just does not want to work that way so I saw no other option than to vote out.

Why would the EU agree to only 2 of the 4 freedoms for a leaving member when members have to agree to all 4. Either we're in, or we're out. What you want is never going to happen, and was never likely to.

It's like moving back from Malta but wanting to keep the same weather :p

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155923)
Britain will sign trade agreements when those agreements meet with mutual economic interest.

Evading UK taxes does harm to the UK but if we were out of the EU then evading EU taxes wouldn't really be a problem for us. In fact a lot of expat Hollywood celebrities and others have based themselves in London rather than France before today so that they didn't have to pay French residence taxes. Johnny Depp was one example.

There are no EU taxes. Only taxes in each member state of the EU.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155944)
The EU has changed. It wasn't what the British electorate voted to join and then remain a member of in the days way before I was born. If it had remained as just a common trade area between the countries of Western Europe like it was supposed to then all of this unpleasantness could be avoided.

You've changed since you were born, the UK has changed since you were born, the world has changed since you were born. Get over it.

113 years ago last month, the Wright brothers made their first flight. 5 years later, Ford began production of the first mass-produced car. Did people quit these things when 40 years later planes and cars had changed from what they initially started out as?

People evolve, organisations evolve, and so do products and agreements.

And the EEC included free movement at the time we joined.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 19th 2017 6:44 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...tries-says-fox

The UK is already discussing informal trade deals with at least 12 countries, despite being notionally prevented from striking deals while still a member of the EU, according to Liam Fox’s international trade department.

The Guardian UK: Politics Weekly Theresa May's Brexit wishlist – Politics Weekly podcast
Anushka Asthana is joined in Westminster by Hugo Dixon, Heather Stewart and Jonathan Isaby on Theresa May’s list of negotiating positions ahead of Brexit talks with the EU

Fox said ministers, who had visited 55 countries, were “discussing the possible shape of new agreements once we have left the EU” and the department was conducting trade audits of key markets in order to identify potential pitfalls.

“We need maximum freedom to achieve this, which is why the prime minister was right to rule out full membership of the EU customs union,” Fox said.

“We have taken our first steps to establishing ourselves as the champions of free trade and taking our place, once again, as one of the greatest open trading nations in the world.

Wintersong Jan 19th 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12156054)

This is priceless. The UK voted to leave the EU and it's now somehow being spun as the rest of Europe's fault that this means they actually have to leave the EU?

Dick Dasterdly Jan 19th 2017 6:57 pm

IMF makes further U-turn on Britain's economic prospects as Brexit fears prove unfounded

The UK has defied fears of a slump in the wake of the Brexit vote, forcing the International Monetary Fund to tear up its original gloomy forecast for Britain’s economy.

The Fund had predicted that the UK economy would grow by 1.1pc in 2017. However, on Monday the international body’s economists revised upwards their downbeat assessment, instead predicting Britain would grow by 1.5pc this year.

The 0.4 percentage point upgrade is the largest upward revision the Fund has made to any of the nations or regions it covers in its latest update.

DaveLovesDee Jan 19th 2017 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12156218)
IMF makes further U-turn on Britain's economic prospects as Brexit fears prove unfounded

The UK has defied fears of a slump in the wake of the Brexit vote, forcing the International Monetary Fund to tear up its original gloomy forecast for Britain’s economy.

The Fund had predicted that the UK economy would grow by 1.1pc in 2017. However, on Monday the international body’s economists revised upwards their downbeat assessment, instead predicting Britain would grow by 1.5pc this year.

The 0.4 percentage point upgrade is the largest upward revision the Fund has made to any of the nations or regions it covers in its latest update.

Maybe because companies such as Ryanair and Google are coming to the UK despite the vote result, to make as much money as they can before we Brexit and they leave to make more profit elsewhere.

EMR Jan 19th 2017 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12156218)

NOT. Brexit vote, your link says brexit:.

For once and for all Dick crawl back jnto your cave, put on your foil helmet and keep your fantasies to your self.

The UK economy has been growing steadiy for the last few years, adding a couple of million jobs etc.All of thus while members of the EU.
Where were you when year on year the UK economy grew...
Nothing has changed yet so little will..
Come back in a few years when the reality of brexit is kniwn.
Feel free to gloat if the UK does better outside of the EU or as expected continue to blame the EU if we do not.

EMR Jan 19th 2017 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12156210)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...tries-says-fox

The UK is already discussing informal trade deals with at least 12 countries, despite being notionally prevented from striking deals while still a member of the EU, according to Liam Fox’s international trade department.

The Guardian UK: Politics Weekly Theresa May's Brexit wishlist – Politics Weekly podcast
Anushka Asthana is joined in Westminster by Hugo Dixon, Heather Stewart and Jonathan Isaby on Theresa May’s list of negotiating positions ahead of Brexit talks with the EU

Fox said ministers, who had visited 55 countries, were “discussing the possible shape of new agreements once we have left the EU” and the department was conducting trade audits of key markets in order to identify potential pitfalls.

“We need maximum freedom to achieve this, which is why the prime minister was right to rule out full membership of the EU customs union,” Fox said.

“We have taken our first steps to establishing ourselves as the champions of free trade and taking our place, once again, as one of the greatest open trading nations in the world.

Its Liam Foxup almost as ocd driven anti EU as you are Dick.
Nothing stopped UK companies selling almost anywhere ,in the world its the usual rubbish from Foxup..

Dick Dasterdly Jan 19th 2017 8:37 pm

Theresa May has taken control – this is a Brexit plan the EU can't stop

Lion in Winter Jan 19th 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12156294)

I wasn't aware the EU was trying to stop us. It seems to me that they have done nothing but tell us to get on with it.

SultanOfSwing Jan 19th 2017 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12156296)
I wasn't aware the EU was trying to stop us. It seems to me that they have done nothing but tell us to get on with it.

Yeah, I always thought the EU adopted a position of "We'd rather you stayed, but if you want to go, fine. Just shut the door on your way out and don't come running to us when it all goes tits-up."