British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 12:06 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12155912)
I can never understand what half the posters on here who refer constantly and obsessively to "the left" mean by it. There's bugger-all of the left left in the UK these days.

This image argues otherwise.

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3f...est-london.jpg

If you're referring to Cameron and co, you can keep him firmly on the right where he belongs, thanks. I didn't see any condescension or insults coming from the leader of the Labour Party or the leader of the Greens.

I would agree with that. The attitudes came from their supporters, not the Labour, Green, Lib Dem etc politicians themselves. Most politicians at least have the common sense to know that ripping the piss out of people is rarely the best way to get them on your side.

EMR Jan 19th 2017 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155901)
:goodpost:

Precisely.

The problem is that for a lot of remain supporters, the world seemingly ended on 24th June and they just don't want to move on from that.

So you now expect May to back down and compromise as part of the negotiations.

Will you be happy with that, Yes or No..

Are you now a soft brexiter ?.

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12155917)
So you now expect May to back down and compromise as part of the negotiations.

Will you be happy with that, Yes or No..

Are you now a soft brexiter ?.

I would have preferred a customs union and free trade area that does not include complete freedom of movement. That is all that I have ever wanted from the EU and my opinion has never changed.

Unfortunately the EU just does not want to work that way so I saw no other option than to vote out.

Red Eric Jan 19th 2017 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155915)

That was a march in support of refugees.

I can't for the life of me see what it has to do with the EU referendum and your accusation that lefties led the campaign to remain and were insulting and condescending in doing so.

You can have a Golden Dick award for that post.

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12155914)
I thought there was a whole wide world of free trade, unfettered by EU regulations and bureaucracy, rushing with indecent haste to be first in the queue to sign up lucrative deals with the UK.

Nothing about the country miring itself in the mucky world of money laundering and tax evasion. Until now that sort of stuff went on abroad and was to be frowned on.

Britain will sign trade agreements when those agreements meet with mutual economic interest.

Evading UK taxes does harm to the UK but if we were out of the EU then evading EU taxes wouldn't really be a problem for us. In fact a lot of expat Hollywood celebrities and others have based themselves in London rather than France before today so that they didn't have to pay French residence taxes. Johnny Depp was one example.

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12155921)
That was a march in support of refugees.

I can't for the life of me see what it has to do with the EU referendum and your accusation that lefties led the campaign to remain and were insulting and condescending in doing so.

You can have a Golden Dick award for that post.

You said that leftism doesn't exist in the UK these days. I proved with photo evidence that it does.

Here's another one (and incidentally the man at the front of the picture did a lot more harm than good to his cause IMHO).

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cps...31_capture.jpg

Red Eric Jan 19th 2017 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155923)
Evading UK taxes does harm to the UK but if we were out of the EU then evading EU taxes wouldn't really be a problem for us.

:confused: This makes no sense to me at all.

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12155925)
:confused: This makes no sense to me at all.

OK well essentially if you can develop a system where people can exploit foreign tax laws within your country but not domestic ones then you're economically on to a winner. The Swiss pulled that off and got away with it for years.

jimenato Jan 19th 2017 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155915)

Well I agree that they all look like jolly decent chaps and all that - but that doesn't necessarily mean they are of the left. :confused:

Red Eric Jan 19th 2017 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155924)
You said that leftism doesn't exist in the UK these days. I proved with photo evidence that it does.

Here's another one (and incidentally the man at the front of the picture did a lot more harm than good to his cause IMHO).

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cps...31_capture.jpg

You proved nothing of the sort ;)

EMR Jan 19th 2017 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155920)
I would have preferred a customs union and free trade area that does not include complete freedom of movement. That is all that I have ever wanted from the EU and my opinion has never changed.

Unfortunately the EU just does not want to work that way so I saw no other option than to vote out.

Its the UK thats changed not the EU.
Whatever happens it will be because of the way the UK narrowly voted in June.

The irony being tha leavers will probably pay a higher price than the remainers.

Red Eric Jan 19th 2017 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155927)
OK well essentially if you can develop a system where people can exploit foreign tax laws within your country but not domestic ones then you're economically on to a winner. The Swiss pulled that off and got away with it for years.

Yes I know what a tax haven is.

I thought the UK was going to restore itself to the once-great trading nation it formerly was by striking lucrative free trade deals with all the countries outside the EU queueing up to burst through the door and sign the papers once Article 50 negotiations are complete.

That's what was promised - not for the UK to try to worm itself back in to the single market by any means and if that fails turn itself into a fiscal paradise on the EU's doorstep.

What happened there?

jimenato Jan 19th 2017 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12155931)
You proved nothing of the sort ;)

Very odd isn't it? I don't understand DG's angle on this at all.

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12155935)
Its the UK thats changed not the EU.
Whatever happens it will be because of the way the UK narrowly voted in June.

The irony being tha leavers will probably pay a higher price than the remainers.

The EU has changed. It wasn't what the British electorate voted to join and then remain a member of in the days way before I was born. If it had remained as just a common trade area between the countries of Western Europe like it was supposed to then all of this unpleasantness could be avoided.

Garbatellamike Jan 19th 2017 12:49 pm

I can never understand what half the posters on here who refer constantly and obsessively to "the left" mean by it. There's bugger-all of the left left in the UK these days.

Is that because they moved to Portugal Eric? ;) :sneaky: