British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 11:45 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12155882)
that whatever happens it won't be the leavers' fault - it will be someone else's.

Then likewise, if this does wind up being a positive thing then the leave voters should be credited for that also, right?

All the leftist snobbery, insults and condescending attitudes that, IMHO, contributed largely towards the leave vote anyway can then be changed to humble gratitude, with the leave voters being praised as visionaries.

Red Eric Jan 19th 2017 11:45 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12155845)
It's not news (nor did I claim it to be - YOU did).

It's an editorial (opinion) piece, which reflects the same sentiments expressed by the poster it was in response to.

Actually it's not an editorial because it wasn't written by any of The Guardian's own staff. It is an opinion piece - one of many from all sides.

Red Eric Jan 19th 2017 11:47 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155849)
From the most left-leaning and pro-EU mainstream newspaper in the country.

Even if that were true, it wouldn't take very much of either to achieve that.

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 11:49 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12155884)
Doesn't DD say it's the EU doing the bullying? :lol:

The EU isn't a nation. I'm not entirely sure what it is really and I'm not even sure if the EU itself knows. ;)

InVinoVeritas Jan 19th 2017 11:50 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12155882)
May is very obviously setting up the scenario that when we don't get what we want, it won't be her fault it will be the EU's - they did it deliberately to punish us.

It has been a theme right through this - that whatever happens it won't be the leavers' fault - it will be someone else's.

It's difficult to read too much into anything anyone says at this stage as this is a NEGOTIATION. Nobody, but nobody will say what they would be prepared to accept. And don't forget there's a whole lot of politics to play out in Europe this year so there's likely to be more side-shuffling over there than there will be back here, and not necessarily to appease the UK but more to appease the populist tendency in other countries.

Red Eric Jan 19th 2017 11:51 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155861)
That applies when you are four years old and get carrot sticks instead of chicken nuggets.

It doesn't apply when you are one of the wealthiest and most powerful nations on Earth and are in trade negotiations with other first world countries that are situated on your door step.

So if there are so many other nations with which the UK can trade freely should the EU not agree to the UK's terms, why does she not say that, rather than if we don't get what we want we'll be forced to become a tax haven on your doorstep?

EMR Jan 19th 2017 11:51 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155885)
Then likewise, if this does wind up being a positive thing then the leave voters should be credited for that also, right?

All the leftist snobbery, insults and condescending attitudes that, IMHO, contributed largely towards the leave vote anyway can then be changed to humble gratitude, with the leave voters being praised as visionaries.

If this forum and both of us are still aroundv n 10 years time we can discuss whether the leap into the unknown the UK is making was a good idea or not.

May has yet come clean on the " M " word, for you and for the majority of leavers thus will dictate the success or otherwise of brexit.
No doubt you will claim a fall in migrant numbers associated with a declining economy was a good thing.

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 11:53 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12155893)
So if there are so many other nations with which the UK can trade freely should the EU not agree to the UK's terms, why does she not say that, rather than if we don't get what we want we'll be forced to become a tax haven on your doorstep?

Britain is going to have to do what it feels is necessary to retain its own economic interests. The Europeans have always been terrified of London's financial power and that is why they have tried to contain or control it whenever they could.

A London completely free of any EU regulation must be a really sobering thought for them. They don't need threats from the British because the Europeans can do the numbers for themselves.

Red Eric Jan 19th 2017 11:55 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155885)
All the leftist snobbery, insults and condescending attitudes that, IMHO, contributed largely towards the leave vote anyway can then be changed to humble gratitude, with the leave voters being praised as visionaries.

You appear to forget that the principal driving forces behind the remain campaign were nothing to do with leftism.

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 11:56 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12155890)
It's difficult to read too much into anything anyone says at this stage as this is a NEGOTIATION. Nobody, but nobody will say what they would be prepared to accept. And don't forget there's a whole lot of politics to play out in Europe this year so there's likely to be more side-shuffling over there than there will be back here, and not necessarily to appease the UK but more to appease the populist tendency in other countries.

:goodpost:

Precisely.

The problem is that for a lot of remain supporters, the world seemingly ended on 24th June and they just don't want to move on from that.

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 11:58 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12155900)
You appear to forget that the principal driving forces behind the remain campaign were nothing to do with leftism.

The self-destructive attitudes of the British left didn't help as didn't their opinion that the status quo (which virtually nobody was happy with) should just be retained regardless or the frankly insulting attitude that a lot of left supporters took towards anybody who disagreed with them.

Red Eric Jan 19th 2017 11:59 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155897)
Britain is going to have to do what it feels is necessary to retain its own economic interests. The Europeans have always been terrified of London's financial power and that is why they have tried to contain or control it whenever they could.

A London completely free of any EU regulation must be a really sobering thought for them. They don't need threats from the British because the Europeans can do the numbers for themselves.

You're contradicting yourself again

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155867)
I don't agree that she has implied that. My understanding of her comments earlier this week was that it would not be in any country's economic interest to cut off its nose to spite its face.

If the Europeans want to hold a grudge then Britain will have to look for economic opportunities elsewhere in the world. That's just common sense really.

Unless "look for economic opportunities elsewhere in the world" has suddenly morphed into establishing the UK as even more of a fiscal paradise than it already is.

DigitalGhost Jan 19th 2017 12:00 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12155907)
You're contradicting yourself again


Unless "look for economic opportunities elsewhere in the world" has suddenly morphed into establishing the UK as even more of a fiscal paradise than it already is.

It isn't a contradiction. Britain doesn't necessarily want to become the new Switzerland, Luxembourg or Hong Kong but it if it has no other option from the EU then what choice will the British have?

Red Eric Jan 19th 2017 12:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155905)
The self-destructive attitudes of the British left didn't help as didn't their opinion that the status quo (which virtually nobody was happy with) should just be retained regardless or the frankly insulting attitude that a lot of left supporters took towards anybody who disagreed with them.

I can never understand what half the posters on here who refer constantly and obsessively to "the left" mean by it. There's bugger-all of the left left in the UK these days.

If you're referring to Cameron and co, you can keep him firmly on the right where he belongs, thanks. I didn't see any condescension or insults coming from the leader of the Labour Party or the leader of the Greens.

Red Eric Jan 19th 2017 12:06 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12155910)
It isn't a contradiction. Britain doesn't necessarily want to become the new Switzerland, Luxembourg or Hong Kong but it if it has no other option from the EU then what choice will the British have?

I thought there was a whole wide world of free trade, unfettered by EU regulations and bureaucracy, rushing with indecent haste to be first in the queue to sign up lucrative deals with the UK.

Nothing about the country miring itself in the mucky world of money laundering and tax evasion. Until now that sort of stuff went on abroad and was to be frowned on.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:29 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.