British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Annetje Jan 16th 2017 8:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12153457)
Well, it's true for the 'research scientist' who totally wasn't just trying to plug his new book or anything.

Ahhm right, must say ... I did a ''Dasterdly'' there and just read the title, right under the ''Brexit news, Hungarion etc.'' he posted, and I was very upset. I mean, who cares about Brexit when the world will come to an end anyway ?

SultanOfSwing Jan 16th 2017 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12153463)
Ahhm right, must say ... I did a ''Dasterdly'' there and just read the title, right under the ''Brexit news, Hungarion etc.'' he posted, and I was very upset. I mean, who cares about Brexit when the world will come to an end anyway ?

I had to click on it to see just what kind of arse-twattery was contained in the article. I was/was not disappointed, depending on what way I was looking at it :lol:

Annetje Jan 16th 2017 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12153474)
I had to click on it to see just what kind of arse-twattery was contained in the article. I was/was not disappointed, depending on what way I was looking at it :lol:

I know ... it is so tempting ! Naughty but funny !

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Red Eric Jan 16th 2017 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12153111)
No of course not. I am suggesting that the central European economy could collapse and take the Euro down with it.

All it would take is for contributions to stop coming in from a few of the pact's major economies and things would go south quickly. A loss of British contributions is pretty much a given at this point considering the news that came out over the weekend and it would only take one wrong election result in France, Holland or Germany to really push the ball downwards.

The assumption here seems to be that contributions from the nett contributor nations are crucial to the day-to-day survival of the nett recipients. That is incorrect. The inavailability of that funding for one reason or another really only affects investment for the future.

Besides, British contributions haven't ceased yet (and won't at least until Article 50 negotiations are complete), plus there is the matter of the "divorce settlement" and there is also the matter of whether the UK will wish to voluntarily make contributions for continued access to various aspects of the EU which it might wish to retain as a non-member.

Red Eric Jan 16th 2017 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12153175)
I thought the idea was that they would stay where they were processed?

Are you taking into account all the stages of processing?

Red Eric Jan 16th 2017 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12153176)
OK well let's look at that shall we?

Just for starters, EU law says that people have to claim asylum in their first country of landing

Does it?

but she invited people to bypass/ignore that.

Did she?

She also invited people to pass through territories without permission, including several that are neither in the EU nor Schengen.

Are you absolutely sure about that?

No matter how you look at it, her actions were irresponsible and whether intentional or not, she effectively incited a lot of people to break the law.

Ah well, that's where you even contradict yourself, I'm afraid.

In order for something to be illegal, there has to be a law against it. All you've done so far is to suggest that there wasn't a law for what was done.

That's rather a different matter.

Red Eric Jan 16th 2017 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12153182)
There is the old argument of shouldn't they make their claim in the 1st safe country they land in e.g. Turkey, Greece or Italy. As we have seen many refuse to do that and want to get to the countries that either their families are located in or X country gives better benefits than X country even though the last X country is a safe one.

There is also the matter of whether they are actually obliged to make their claim in the first safe country they arrive in and whether EU agreements uphold that principle.

For example, the Dublin Agreement(s) are oft-quoted when it suits but few of those who cite it appear to know about the various provisions it makes. Most seem to use it as a supposedly legitimate excuse to fend asylum-seekers away from northern and western EU member states (and to the cynic it could indeed appear that that's the way it was written ;)). However, there are other provisions (which I have outlined on here to the same obstinate posters on more than one occasion), to say nothing of the fact that individual nations can choose to ignore the agreement in favour of more flexibility in accepting asylum seekers nor yet of the fact that it can be (and has been) suspended under exceptional circumstances. Including, for example, in the case of Greece.

Red Eric Jan 16th 2017 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12153201)
No. They should never have been allowed to irregularly land on European soil in the first place. They should have been intercepted and referred to their point of origin but unfortunately the Europeans are too inept to do that.

Citation required.

They are in fact perfectly entitled to land on European soil and claim asylum there if they have not previously claimed asylum in a so-called "safe country".

And refugee "push backs" are illegal.

DaveLovesDee Jan 16th 2017 9:38 pm

1 Attachment(s)
A tweet from a UKIP MEP. Many of his other tweets are even funnier.

Red Eric Jan 16th 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12153047)
Like America, Japan and the Japanese people would never in a million years accept the kind of foreign control and open borders that the British have had to accept under the EU.

This may have been totally unintentional but you're not the first and you won't be the last to say that the UK has open borders because of the EU. This is simply not true.

It is true, of course, that the UK has open borders - the borders between England and Wales or between England and Scotland, for example - but there is no open border between the UK and non UK countries. Those are all closed and completely controlled by the UK border authorities.

DaveLovesDee Jan 16th 2017 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12153532)
This may have been totally unintentional but you're not the first and you won't be the last to say that the UK has open borders because of the EU. This is simply not true.

It is true, of course, that the UK has open borders - the borders between England and Wales or between England and Scotland, for example - but there is no open border between the UK and non UK countries. Those are all closed and completely controlled by the UK border authorities.

Other than the border with the RoI. :p

But that's going to have to become a hard border post-Brexit.

Red Eric Jan 16th 2017 10:08 pm

Aaaaagh!!

OK - between the Republic and NI there's an open border but it's not completely open between NI and Britain, is it?

DaveLovesDee Jan 16th 2017 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12153545)
Aaaaagh!!

OK - between the Republic and NI there's an open border but it's not completely open between NI and Britain, is it?

I thought it is. There are no immigration controls as far as I'm aware.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 16th 2017 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12153235)
Empires rise and Empires fall, no way you can avoid in a global world some of the effects.

The Eu Empire is already falling.

Obviously no one told them that Empires have long ago had their day and are best consigned to history books.

Even under the constant threat of force, the people win through in the end.

This one has absolutely nothing left to offer, totally bankrupt of ideas and in desperate need of even more funding to keep its dictatorial corrupt Fat Cats in luxury while it foolishly squanders the rest.

This at a time when the second biggest contributor to the Brussels benevolent fund is preparing to pull the plug.

2016 was a major catastrophe for the Eu in virtually every possible way and mostly self inflicted at that.

2017 could well be even worse, with far more challenges awaiting it than ever before, which it is desperately ill equipped to deal with in its present shambolic form.

The sooner the U.K. wipes its hands of the whole sad sorry mess, the better IMHO . :cool:

DaveLovesDee Jan 16th 2017 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12153550)
The Eu Empire is already falling.

Obviously no one told them that Empires have long ago had their day and are best consigned to history books.

Even under the constant threat of force, the people win through in the end.

This one has absolutely nothing left to offer, totally bankrupt of ideas and in desperate need of even more funding to keep its dictatorial corrupt Fat Cats in luxury while it foolishly squanders the rest.

This at a time when the second biggest contributor to the Brussels benevolent fund is preparing to pull the plug.

2016 was a major catastrophe for the Eu in virtually every possible way and mostly self inflicted at that.

2017 could well be even worse, with far more challenges awaiting it than ever before, which it is desperately ill equipped to deal with in its present shambolic form.

The sooner the U.K. wipes its hands of the whole sad sorry mess, the better IMHO . :cool:

Which propaganda sheet did you steal that post from?