British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2017 11:51 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12151679)
Bitter Remoaners have spent months trying to find the downsides of Brexit while sifting through all of the great economic news.

The FTSE is hitting record highs, we get big investment news nearly every day, and we have the fastest growing economy in the G7.

They hoped that Brexit would hit financial services, but now new minutes from a meeting with the EU's top negotiator Michel Barnier shows how the EU is terrified of punishing Brexit Britain - because the blowback on Europe would be catastrophic.

Another day, another Remoaner scare story goes up in smoke.

Thank goodness we didn't listen to these fools and voted to take our country back.

:cool:

I think we need to lose the 'Remoaner' type slurs. By retaining that well beyond after the referendum has taken place, all that's happening is that division is being continued. At this point it is best that the result is just accepted and people work together on a plan that suits everyone as best as possible.

If people want to express concerns then they're well within their rights but at the same time that doesn't excuse either side insulting or name-calling against the other.

Bipat Jan 14th 2017 11:51 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12151677)
NOT outrage , another aplogy from you is required..
Just facts which you could not accept and rambled on about catholics, the inquisition etc.
The outrage was from the pro brexit press who jump at any attempt to attack immigrants..
I thought that you would have congratulated the Portuguese for their more liberal atitude to the residents of their ex colonies compared to the UK.
Had the UK made it easier for commonwealth citizens to enter the UK and fill the gap in our labour and skills capacity would there have been a need for EU migrants.?
Would the anti migrant brexit campaign then have gathered momentum.?

(I did state that the Portuguese treated their subjects better (there were a lot less of them) but only the descendants of those who changed their religion. To explain that, a little history lesson was needed.
You get Almeidas and Lobos in Swindon not Kamats!)
Drop this subject EMR.

What do you think of women in present day politics?

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2017 11:53 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12151686)
The UK could have made it easier for Commonwealth nationals to migrate to the UK anytime it chose to. I doubt it was even considered at all.

AFAIK, immigration from India to Britain is actually actively discouraged. Most of the UK visas issued to Indians etc these days are probably family based ones.

As far as I can tell though, Indian applicants make up the largest percentage of immigrant visa applications to the other anglophone commonwealth countries.

Bipat Jan 14th 2017 11:53 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151688)
I think we need to lose the 'Remoaner' type slurs. By retaining that well beyond after the referendum has taken place, all that's happening is that division is being continued. At this point it is best that the result is just accepted and people work together on a plan that suits everyone as best as possible.

If people want to express concerns then they're well within their rights but at the same time that doesn't excuse either side insulting or name-calling against the other.

Agree.

DaveLovesDee Jan 14th 2017 11:55 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12151676)
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ty-post-brexit

Now who wants to keep the good bits ?

Oh Dick.

Of course the EU wants to minimise disruption to the financial services markets. So does the UK.

Keeping that market in London is the best way forward, and everyone recognises this. If an agreement can be made, markets remain fairly stable. No deal, and the City suffers. So do many across Europe.

Bipat Jan 14th 2017 11:58 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151691)
AFAIK, immigration from India to Britain is actually actively discouraged. Most of the UK visas issued to Indians etc these days are probably family based ones.

As far as I can tell though, Indian applicants make up the largest percentage of immigrant visa applications to the other anglophone commonwealth countries.

No I am not aware that it is actively discouraged. It is possible given the present day NHS crisis there will soon be quite a lot of doctors recruited from there.
Theresa May as a reciprocal arrangement has improved the visa arrangements for business people.

Bipat Jan 14th 2017 12:00 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12151686)
The UK could have made it easier for Commonwealth nationals to migrate to the UK anytime it chose to. I doubt it was even considered at all.

It was easier immediately after independence and until 1962.

DaveLovesDee Jan 14th 2017 12:04 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151691)
AFAIK, immigration from India to Britain is actually actively discouraged. Most of the UK visas issued to Indians etc these days are probably family based ones.

As far as I can tell though, Indian applicants make up the largest percentage of immigrant visa applications to the other anglophone commonwealth countries.

Citation, please.

Poland has overtaken India as the largest foreign-born nationality, but only because of free movement
Poland overtakes India as country of origin, UK migration statistics show
25 August 2016

DaveLovesDee Jan 14th 2017 12:10 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12151699)
It was easier immediately after independence and until 1962.

I'm talking about at anytime since then. You know, since it got harder.

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2017 12:20 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12151698)
Theresa May as a reciprocal arrangement has improved the visa arrangements for business people.

Is that only because the previous arrangements made it very difficult though?

Red Eric Jan 14th 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12151679)
Bitter Remoaners have spent months trying to find the downsides of Brexit while sifting through all of the great economic news.

The FTSE is hitting record highs, we get big investment news nearly every day, and we have the fastest growing economy in the G7.

They hoped that Brexit would hit financial services, but now new minutes from a meeting with the EU's top negotiator Michel Barnier shows how the EU is terrified of punishing Brexit Britain - because the blowback on Europe would be catastrophic.

Another day, another Remoaner scare story goes up in smoke.

Thank goodness we didn't listen to these fools and voted to take our country back.

:cool:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What - this Michel Barnier? Surely you don't take any notice of that vengeful bastard, do you? :lol::lol::lol:

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12083001)
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/136483...-negotiations/


"JEAN CLAUDE'S REVENGE Juncker plots to punish UK over Brexit vote, telling pro-British EU countries not to ‘go soft’ over negotiations
Grudge-bearing EU boss plans to put his army of pencil-pushers in charge of trade talks instead of elected leaders"

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/694...r-negotiations

"EU boss Jean-Claude Junker appoints Frenchman as Brexit negotiator in 'revenge'

EUROPEAN Union boss Jean Claude?Juncker was yesterday accused of taking “revenge” on Britain by making a Frenchman who champions a United States of Europe his head of Brexit talks."


Bipat Jan 14th 2017 12:30 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151713)
Is that only because the previous arrangements made it very difficult though?

This was just a speeding up of the process for business visas. Which Mrs May discussed during recent visit.
The 'visa' application arrangements for business, visitor visas etc. tend to be reciprocated by both countries---one raises the price so does the other etc. The applicants both countries suffer!

DigitalGhost Jan 14th 2017 12:35 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12151701)
Citation, please.

Poland has overtaken India as the largest foreign-born nationality, but only because of free movement
Poland overtakes India as country of origin, UK migration statistics show
25 August 2016

I never said that they weren't issued, I said they were fairly difficult to obtain. India is probably still the biggest exporter of emigrants to every major economy I think.

Jerseygirl Jan 14th 2017 12:40 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12151630)
The occasional post about whether or not the UK did something to India is interesting, but it's getting ridiculous now.

I agree and it's not just in this thread. For those who wish to discuss India please open a new thread as further posts in this and other threads will be deleted. Thank you.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 14th 2017 12:56 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Surely this can't be the same Ryanair as the one who said it was leaving if we voted Brexit ? :confused:


Ryanair plans nine new routes in a bid to boost passenger numbers to 20M | This is Money


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:36 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.