British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12151091)
As does each EU member state.

Ergo, that's why I said that the EU functions more like the Canadian system than America's. The key difference unfortunately being that Canada seems to be at least moderately economically and politically stable.

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12151077)
Something the Scots Nats , the Welsh and Northern Irish would like , more freedom to make their own decisions, less direction from Whitehall.

The Scottish pissed all over any possible further ability to deal directly with the outside world when they freed al-Megrahi. That caused a lot of embarrassment for Whitehall in front of the Americans and pretty much ensured that Scotland will never gain any more serious devolved powers for as long as it remains a part of the UK.

Novocastrian Jan 13th 2017 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151062)
The provinces have a lot more power. They are allowed to run their own immigration streams for example.

It's true that Province can nominate individuals based on local needs (criteria differ between Province) but the actual immigration is still run through the Federal CIC (or whatever it's called this year, IRCC?). Quebec has other arrangements in place.

In Canada, I think something like Obamacare would be managed at province level rather than federal.
Something like Obamacare wouldn't exist in Canada. Why would they need it?

Something like the NHS would be managed by the Provinces, but Federally funded, just like the Scottish or NI NHS is.

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12151106)
It's true that Province can nominate individuals based on local needs (criteria differ between Province) but the actual immigration is still run through the Federal CIC (or whatever it's called this year, IRCC?).

I don't think that US states even have that ability though, do they?

Novocastrian Jan 13th 2017 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151110)
I don't think that US states even have that ability though, do they?

AFAIK they don't. Neither do EU countries WRT EU citizens, while they certainly do for other nationalities.

EMR Jan 13th 2017 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151101)
The Scottish pissed all over any possible further ability to deal directly with the outside world when they freed al-Megrahi. That caused a lot of embarrassment for Whitehall in front of the Americans and pretty much ensured that Scotland will never gain any more serious devolved powers for as long as it remains a part of the UK.

It will be intersting to see what concessions Scotland wins from May as part of a unified approach to Brexit.
The same will apply to Wales and NI.
She needs a united kingdom at the table not a kingdom divided..

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12151140)
It will be intersting to see what concessions Scotland wins from May as part of a unified approach to Brexit.
The same will apply to Wales and NI.
She needs united kingdom at the table not a kingdom divided..

Nothing, not a damn thing. Cameron grew understandably tired of the Scottish towards the end of his tenure and I can't see May having a lot of patience with the SNP at this point. Quite frankly, she has far bigger problems to worry about.

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 5:34 pm

And if she ignores the Scots, then she'll be creating another huge one. Two if she ignores the Irish as well.

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12151156)
And if she ignores the Scots then she'll be creating another huge one.

I don't think that she will ignore them but I also can't see her being overly tolerant towards a lot of Sturgeon's feet-stomping and disruption.

SultanOfSwing Jan 13th 2017 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151142)
Nothing, not a damn thing. Cameron grew understandably tired of the Scottish towards the end of his tenure and I can't see May having a lot of patience with the SNP at this point. Quite frankly, she has far bigger problems to worry about.

It is still the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, of which Scotland are a part and should have representation in government, either in Westminster or devolved in Edinburgh.

It's not the Kingdom of Little Englanders, Brexiters and **** Everyone Else.

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12151159)
It is still the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, of which Scotland are a part and should have representation in government, either in Westminster or devolved in Edinburgh.

It's not the Kingdom of Little Englanders, Brexiters and **** Everyone Else.

Well some could argue that the SNP perhaps have a little more representation than they should at this point but that's the first past the post system for you.

Novocastrian Jan 13th 2017 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151142)

Is your antagonism towards the EU and to Scotland related to your posts today on the Canadian Immigration Forum?

Getting out of the disaster zone at all?

SultanOfSwing Jan 13th 2017 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151160)
Well some could argue that the SNP perhaps have a little more representation than they should at this point but that's the first past the post system for you.

If they were winning constituencies in Scotland, they get the seats - it is what it is. If the Tories want the SNP to have fewer seats, then they should work to win them back.

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151158)
I don't think that she will ignore them but I also can't see her being overly tolerant towards a lot of Sturgeon's feet-stomping and disruption.

I can never understand, from what I've read of her writings and from what I've heard and seen of her on broadcast news, quite why it is that her detractors can't just talk about what Nicola Sturgeon says instead of launching into false accusations about her demeanour (always reliably cool and collected from what I've witnessed) or, worse still, her looks or her stature.

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150801)

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12150774)
Most of the EU doesn't appear to me to share the same phobias as lifelong Brexiters - and the UK's referendum vote doesn't appear to have swung EU citizens into an exit frenzy of their own in any other member state.

Let's be honest there Eric, it's early days yet. I would wait to see how this year's French and German elections go before jumping to that conclusion.

I was talking about currently - here's the way things looked in November, according to the Eurobarometer

A majority of Europeans have a neutral image of the EU, with a result which remains unchanged
for the third successive time (38%, unchanged since spring 2015). After a 1-point increase, more
than a third of Europeans (35%) have a positive image of the EU. While this proportion decreased
between spring 2015 and spring 2016 (-7 percentage points, from 41% in spring 2015 down to 34%
in spring 2016), the negative trend has now halted. Meanwhile, the proportion of Europeans who have
a negative image of the EU has lost ground (-2 since spring 2016, at 25%) but still represents one
European in four.
I don't think the AfD or the FN will win control but I guess you can never tell. An all-out assault by Le Pen aided by Trump, Putin and most of the world's dodgy media could have some effect on the result I guess. But I'm not sure the immigration stunt will work quite as well with them - they don't seem to have the same problem with antagonism towards intra-EU migration as the UK.