British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 10:19 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

But that doesn't amount to nothing works for anybody. There's plenty about the EU that works just fine.

DaveLovesDee Jan 13th 2017 10:22 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150754)
You see, I would argue that what they have delivered doesn't really work for anybody at the moment. The British have ended up with a ton of immigration that they didn't want, the Irish, French, Italian, Greek and Spanish economies are all in the shit house, Germany is having to take on more of an administrative roll than should have been allowed and the Eastern Europeans have all experienced a brain drain.

Things were working okay until those pesky Eastern Europeans were allowed to have free movement, some 7 years after becoming EU members. We wanted access to their markets on out terms.

Any of the EU member states before the A8 accession had the power to veto any of those countries joining, none did, but they did delay the start of free movement of workers for those 7 years.

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12150759)
But that doesn't amount to nothing works for anybody. There's plenty about the EU that works just fine.

Possibly but a reluctance to change the parts that aren't working is what may eventually lead to the EU's downfall.

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 10:27 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12150761)

Any of the EU member states before the A8 accession had the power to veto any of those countries joining, none did.

Totally. For the life of me, I still can't figure out how or why that happened. In effect, the EU brought the likes of UKIP, Le Front National and the AfD entirely on itself. Tbh, they should probably be grateful that politics in Britain have remained as moderate as they have.

DaveLovesDee Jan 13th 2017 10:31 am

If Leavers want equal rules for migration for EU and non-EU nationals, once the EU nationals lose the right to vote in UK elections (they can't vote in General Elections anyway), wouldn't it also be fairer if those Commonwealth nationals who are legally able to vote, couldn't vote?

After all, we want fairness in everything, not just immigration.

Though giving every immigrant the right to vote after 5yrs would help encourage integration, wouldn't it?

Annetje Jan 13th 2017 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12150501)
If you mean its logical that Britain will be better off out than in,
then I fully agree with you, though obviously that's not the intention of the Eu and by Brussels taking such a bloody minded attitude it simply reflects on their own stupidity as well as further contributing to their own demise.

:cool:

The logical bit obviously is PRVENTING the UK being better out than in !!! You must have missed the highlighted bit :cool:

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 10:35 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12150768)
wouldn't it also be fairer if those Commonwealth nationals who are legally able to vote, couldn't vote?

Definitely. Plenty of us on here either live or have lived in other commonwealth countries and didn't have the right to vote there unless going through local naturalisation.

I've never quite been able to figure out why commonwealth nationals resident in Britain are allowed to vote tbh. The empire died a long, long time ago and very few aspects of British politics affect the commonwealth as a whole.

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150763)
Possibly but a reluctance to change the parts that aren't working is what may eventually lead to the EU's downfall.

There is plenty of divergence on what isn't working and how to address that but it's not an insurmountable problem. Most of the EU doesn't appear to me to share the same phobias as lifelong Brexiters - and the UK's referendum vote doesn't appear to have swung EU citizens into an exit frenzy of their own in any other member state.

Vexcore Jan 13th 2017 10:40 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12150489)
Yes, let's try that. While you're at it, try telling your landlord/bank that you're refusing to pay your rent or mortgage. A rent/mortgage that you made an agreement to pay (unless you're lucky enough to own your own property).

The UK has agreements it must keep to until we officially exit the EU. Though I guess some would rather just not pay, instead of trying to talk with the bank to get a better deal. Even though we've always got a better deal than everyone else via our rebate.

Very odd, and a dumb analogy....

Not paying rent? well we have to.... if we don't? we'll get kicked out blah blah

Simply stop paying the eu and simply tell them we are done, what the hell are they going to do seriously? we're a COUNTRY not a flat in south london.... (what the eu gonna do? get the EUROPEAN UNION BAILIFFS AT OUR BORDERS!??? lol ohh the irony.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12150492)
If idiots like this total nutter and Brit hater, Guy Verhofstadt, are part of the Eu negotiating team there is little point in wasting time even trying to come to terms.

We need to get out of the obnoxious crock of shite disfunctional shambles of an organisation ASAP and leave them to wallow in their own self made cesspit.

Guy Verhofstadt, who is among seven candidates to replace Martin Schulz as president of the European Parliament, said he would draw a “red line” over negotiations with Theresa May and her Brexit ministers.

Speaking in Brussels tonight, he said he would do anything to prevent Britain being “better out than in”.

Guy? he's a major scumbag, May n co, simply need to play hardball, but we all know *may is pushing for time* and i actually thought she could handle this... with her *Cold steel personality* - Guess not, she's coming off as a wet lettuce.

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 10:40 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150765)
Totally. For the life of me, I still can't figure out how or why that happened. In effect, the EU brought the likes of UKIP, Le Front National and the AfD entirely on itself. Tbh, they should probably be grateful that politics in Britain have remained as moderate as they have.

That doesn't explain why countries outside the EU have also seen rises in far right activity.

jimenato Jan 13th 2017 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12150660)

And when are you going to stop moaning?

:rofl::rofl:

It's almost like he lost isn't it?

Oh Wait! He did - we all did. But he is now starting to realise he did.

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12150782)
Not paying rent? well we have to.... if we don't? we'll get kicked out blah blah

Simply stop paying the eu and simply tell them we are done, what the hell are they going to do seriously? we're a COUNTRY not a flat in south london.... (what the eu gonna do? get the EUROPEAN UNION BAILIFFS AT OUR BORDERS!??? lol ohh the irony.

Absolutely not. You must keep the cheques coming.

Portugal needs your money, for starters. And Juncker & co have just had a pay rise.

Have you sent this week's yet? :thumbup:

And don't forget, next week's is due Monday. You might need to check the amount - it'll be a bit more than the £350 million you promised owing to the collapse of the pound.

Bipat Jan 13th 2017 10:54 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150715)
Once againyou are ignoring facts, the Indian press , the UK press preferring the vews of relatives and local taxi drivers.
But it does refute the claim you keep making that the UK discriminates against those from Indua.
It obviously does not.
Stick to facts and not your own odd view of history .

EMR once and for all ---what facts am I ignoring? What odd view of history do I have?
I told you that I am and always have been aware of Goan origin people coming to the UK and have been doing so long before you discovered that!
I live there!!!!!!!

When have I ever said UK discriminates against those from India?
I have merely discussed free movement and non-EU migrants.

I think you need a holiday!:lol: (Or just admit that you are not an expert on the entire world).
Why not come and visit the Konkan coast? (Goa and Karnataka), then you can actually learn a bit more about the area.

Added a link from Oheraldo-main Goan newspaper which I am sure you regularly read.

http://www.heraldgoa.in/Goa/%E2%80%9...%99/80358.html

Vexcore Jan 13th 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12150791)
Absolutely not. You must keep the cheques coming.

Portugal needs your money, for starters. And Juncker & co have just had a pay rise.

Have you sent this week's yet? :thumbup:

And don't forget, next week's is due Monday. You might need to check the amount - it'll be a bit more than the £350 million you promised owing to the collapse of the pound.

I'll set up a Standing Order on that shit soon.

No worries ;)

Lion in Winter Jan 13th 2017 10:56 am

Any one of these threads would do for this article on "post truth" really, but this is as good a one as any.

"Oxford Dictionaries made it the word of the year, defining it as where "objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief"."

"Fake news" on social media became part of the post-election debate in the US - and Prof Grayling warns of an online culture that can't distinguish between fact and fiction.
"Put the words 'did the' into Google and one of the first things you see is, 'Did the Holocaust happen?' and the links will take you to claims that it didn't," he says.
This process is "corrosive of our public conversation and our democracy" and he warns of a culture where a few claims on Twitter can have the same credibility as a library full of research."

What does post-truth mean for a philosopher? - BBC News

Maybe AC Grayling is also a "Brit hater"?