British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Jan 12th 2017 7:00 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150287)
EMR I live there in the present. Any Indian press reporter knows without having to specifically mention it that it is the Goan Christians who can become Portuguese by descent. The DM would not know.

When did you last read an Indian newspaper?

The Times of india report states that the majority are cathoilic, but others are muslim and even hindu.
You really should keep up to date..
Will you be happy for this loophole of immigration into the UK from India to be closed ?

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150293)
The Times of india report states that the majority are cathoilic, but others are muslim and even hindu.
You really should keep up to date..
Will you be happy for this loophole of immigration into the UK from India to be closed ?

Show the link.

Was it a discussion of Goa State? The majority of 'coastal Goa area' is Catholic, the State as a whole has a small majority Hindu, also a proportion of Muslims.
Those of Portuguese Christian Goan descent who are eligible for Portuguese citizenship as I said are Christian.

I am not bothered either way about this means of coming to the UK for the few who do want to come. We have discussed it among many other topics with Christian taxi drivers in Goa when travelling about there. Goan Konkani dialect is very similar to our Karnatakan Konkani.
(You know which religion they are by the icons dangling on their windscreens!)

EMR Jan 12th 2017 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150313)
Show the link.

Was it a discussion of Goa State? The majority of 'coastal Goa area' is Catholic, the State as a whole has a small majority Hindu, also a proportion of Muslims.
Those of Portuguese Christian Goan descent who are eligible for Portuguese citizenship as I said are Christian.

I am not bothered either way about this means of coming to the UK for the few who do want to come. We have discussed it among many other topics with Christian taxi drivers in Goa when travelling about there. Goan Konkani dialect is very similar to our Karnatakan Konkani.
(You know which religion they are by the icons dangling on their windscreens!)

Do you dispute the Times of Imdia report on Goans dropping iInduan citizenship and changing to Portuguese. So that they can circumvent UK immigration rules.
It was last December with a follow up DM articke.
Maybe if you listened less to taxi drivers and kept up to date with press reportz you would be better informed.

Annetje Jan 12th 2017 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150287)
EMR I live there in the present. Any Indian press reporter knows without having to specifically mention it that it is the Goan Christians who can become Portuguese by descent. The DM would not know.

When did you last read an Indian newspaper?

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150270)
I suggest you stop loving jn the past and researchbthecarticles in both the Indian and UK press.
Portuguese qualifications for Goans to change from Induan to Portuguese citizenship have nothing to do with religion.
This is 2017 not 1717.

I suggest you 2 get a ''special room'' together on TIO and sort it out between you !!!

:sarcasm:

EMR Jan 12th 2017 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12150334)
I suggest you 2 get a ''special room'' together on TIO and sort it out between you !!!

The relevance is the 20,000 plus Indians who by changing their nationality to Portuguese have been able to take advantage of the free movement available to EU citizens.
Its ironic that while the UK applies very strict immigratiom rules to citizens of India, Goans can circunvent them.
Just what the anti EU, FOM press loves.

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150330)
Do you dispute the Times of Imdia report on Goans dropping iInduan citizenship and changing to Portuguese. So that they can circumvent UK immigration rules.
It was last December with a follow up DM articke.
Maybe if you listened less to taxi drivers and kept up to date with press reportz you would be better informed.

YES, now I see what you are getting at ---it was about dual citizenship---

There was a rumour/threat that the Indian Government would strip those registered with Portuguese citizenship of their Indian nationality. As I said above it is an anomaly as dual citizenship is not legal.

You misunderstood it --they would only be able to change to Portuguese if a parent or themselves was already registered as Portuguese.

Obviously those who wanted to migrate to UK would hurry up and do so IF the changes were to be made.
They would NOT BE DROPPING Indian citizenship it would be removed.

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12150334)

Apologies, it is difficult to convince EMR that he doesn't know everything about everything! Even if it is about a country he has never even visited.

EMR Jan 12th 2017 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150364)
YES, now I see what you are getting at ---it was about dual citizenship---

There was a rumour/threat that the Indian Government would strip those registered with Portuguese citizenship of their Indian nationality. As I said above it is an anomaly as dual citizenship is not legal.

You misunderstood it --they would only be able to change to Portuguese if a parent or themselves was already registered as Portuguese.

Obviously those who wanted to migrate to UK would hurry up and do so IF the changes were to be made.
They would NOT BE DROPPING Indian citizenship it would be removed.

Which is why they are registering as Portuguese.
Up to third generation of those who lived in Goa before 1961 qualify.
Not something that those who administer immigration from India to the UK ever thought about.

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150359)
The relevance is the 20,000 plus Indians who by changing their nationality to Portuguese have been able to take advantage of the free movement available to EU citizens.
Its ironic that while the UK applies very strict immigratiom rules to citizens of India, Goans can circunvent them.
Just what the anti EU, FOM press loves.

They are NOT CHANGING their nationality, how many times do I have to point out to you they were registered at birth as Portuguese Citizens as as allowed by the Portuguese government for descendants of Portuguese Goans They were also Indian Citizens because of being born in India.

Yes, they have been taking advantage of 'free movement' many live in Swindon.

The majority of Goans cannot take advantage of this rule.

A little difficult for you and the Daily Mail to understand.:lol:

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150369)
Which is why they are registering as Portuguese.
Up to third generation of those who lived in Goa before 1961 qualify.
Not something that those who administer immigration from India to the UK ever thought about.

They had to be registered by a parent at birth. Of course, then they have to apply for a passport, is that what you are getting at.
If they were not registered by their parent they cannot apply.
I have heard grumbles by those whose parents didn't register them.

The British immigration authorities must be well aware of this.
Goa is a very small State, approx 1.5 million. Only a small proportion of those are eligible for Portuguese passports.

Fredbargate Jan 12th 2017 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150261)

EMR, this is off topic, please stick to what you actually know about.

Well that will leave nothing to discuss

EMR Jan 12th 2017 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150386)
They had to be registered by a parent at birth. Of course, then they have to apply for a passport, is that what you are getting at.
If they were not registered by their parent they cannot apply.
I have heard grumbles by those whose parents didn't register them.

The British immigration authorities must be well aware of this.
Goa is a very small State, approx 1.5 million. Only a small proportion of those are eligible for Portuguese passports.

India Times 15th December 2015 headline.
Thousands giving up Indian citizenship to become Portuguese in search of a better life. ( I paraphrase )
I do check my facts and not rely of hisorical prejudice.

I suggest you check yours.
But when FOM ends if it does, this loophole will be closed.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 12th 2017 8:30 pm

If the EU really seeks to punish Britain with a 'lose-lose' Brexit it will only hasten its own destruction

Precisely.
It's something of a reflection of the bloody minded dictatorial way Brussels have been treating other member states which disagree with the ill conceived policies which are IMPOSED on them.

Oh dear, the outrage and back biting amongst the naive Fat Cats in Brussels now they're finding out that everyone is pissed off with them.

Red Eric Jan 12th 2017 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150386)

So why keep making such an enormous deal of it?

Surely there are at least an equivalent number of people who are eligible for UK citizenship and who apply for it in order to gain entry to another EU country?

Red Eric Jan 12th 2017 8:38 pm

It's started......