British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Jan 11th 2017 6:45 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149375)
From the big man at the BoE himself:

Carney: Brexit risks now lower - BBC News

Maybe we can start to let all the apocalyptic theories subside now.

Bloody Canadians! Coming over here and minimising our risks.

He added, however, that the overall level of risk was still "elevated".

Mr Carney said that the UK should concentrate on stable access to financial markets after Brexit. The financial services industry could suffer "outsize" consequences from losing only some of its access.

EMR Jan 11th 2017 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149337)
I never actually said that though, you just read my comment at point A and jumped straight to point X to attack me without actually reading what I wrote properly.

That's what you seem to do all the time and that's why you really get my back up. There are a few other people on here with whom I often tend to disagree on these matters however at least they can string a coherent sentence together and aren't always eager to accuse people of things.

Now either realise your mistake and apologise and move on or just leave it. I'm happy either way.

All you have to do is to get your facts right and not use this forum as a vehicle for your ignorance and prejudice against those different from you.

Bipat Jan 11th 2017 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12149374)
Only commonwealth citizens are affected by the commonwealth immigration act.
Non EU, non comonwealth are not but by a different set of rules.
You are also confusing our relationship with the India n sub continent with that of Australia, Canada, New Zealand etc.
As for military occupation not accurate when the vast majority of the troops in the subcontinent were from the local communities.
Hardly evidence of an occupying power.

As I have mentioned before, stick to the subjects you actually know about!

The Indian army were recruited from local communities(it was good pay) but they were under the command of the British, they did not patrol local communities that was done by a British soldiers who had guns, how else would they have kept control?

Yes you are correct Australia, Canada, New Zealand etc. were total and continuing takeover, India merely apartheid and subjugation and taking of land and taxes, but there were more of them so eventually they got free!:lol:

Boiler Jan 11th 2017 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12149400)
All you have to do is to get your facts right and not use this forum as a vehicle for your ignorance and prejudice against those different from you.

OMG:lol:

Bipat Jan 11th 2017 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12149373)
Bullshit. You said,

Aren't you suggesting that more Commonwealth nationals are needed?

Or more immigration?

I was referrring to a previous link. Pointing out that it was not possible for non-EU people with certain needed skills to work in the UK because of the strict entry requirements.
I only have knowledge of those from the Commonwealth so only discuss their migration.

EMR Jan 11th 2017 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12149407)
As I have mentioned before, stick to the subjects you actually know about!

The Indian army were recruited from local communities(it was good pay) but they were under the command of the British, they did not patrol local communities that was done by a British soldiers who had guns, how else would they have kept control?

Yes you are correct Australia, Canada, New Zealand etc. were total and continuing takeover, India merely apartheid and subjugation and taking of land and taxes, but there were more of them so eventually they got free!:lol:

India owes its existence as a nation state to the British.
For centuries it never been more than a disparate collection of rival and waarring kingdoms..
No British then no India as we know it today.
Perhaps you can enlighten us and post examples of acts the white military occupying forces acts against the local pulations and why 100s milions of Indians across a huge country were controlled by a few tens thousands of British troops.
We all know about Amritsar which was universally condemned at the time but if you are right then there will be many others.

Bipat Jan 11th 2017 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12149350)
I am not aware that any one has expressed a preference for EU migrants over non EU.
However unpleasant as it may be you must accept that there us an increasing prejudice in the UK against those of an obviously different culture and religion.
This was revealed in the brexit voting trends in areas with relatively low numbers of EU migrants but where immigration was given as the main reason for voting no.
If and it is a big if , EU migrant numbers were to fall significantly the anti migrant views held by many and in those areas will not change..
Did you watch the BBC prog, Why we voted Brexit ?

I asked you before ---why did Leicester vote 'remain'?
Why did 'brown' immigrants vote 'leave'?

There have always been people that you describe, yes, more are expreesing the opinions that some of us already knew they had.---They are a minority.

Expressing a view that total immigrant numbers should be controlled is not racist.

(You are contradicting your own view --obviously those who worry about migrants of a different religion will favour 'remain'.)

EMR Jan 11th 2017 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12149419)
I asked you before ---why did Leicester vote 'remain'?
Why did 'brown' immigrants vote 'leave'?

There have always been people that you describe, yes, more are expreesing the opinions that some of us already knew they had.---They are a minority.

Expressing a view that total immigrant numbers should be controlled is not racist.

(You are contradicting your own view --obviously those who worry about migrants of a different religion will favour 'remain'.)

Leics is not the Uk, it not reoresentative of all those from India , Pakistan , Sri lanka.

Where is your evidence that the muslims of Bradford, Oldham, Acicks green voted to leave if they vioted in large numbers.
There is however more than enough evidence that in some areas if the UK the leave vote was anti imigrant or to put it another way , anti desi, anti Asian immigrants who make up the majority of migrants in those areas.
Groups representing Asian imigrants have raised theur concerns at the ruse in racial attacks on their communities since the referendum.
Voting brexit in the hope that it would improve relations has turned out to be a mistake.
Controlling numbers is not racist who ever said it was.

Bipat Jan 11th 2017 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12149417)
India owes its existence as a nation state to the British.
For centuries it never been more than a disparate collection of rival and waarring kingdoms..
No British then no India as we know it today.
Perhaps you can enlighten us and post examples of acts the white military occupying forces acts against the local pulations and why 100s milions of Indians across a huge country were controlled by a few tens thousands of British troops.
We all know about Amritsar which was universally condemned at the time but if you are right then there will be many others.

Look up the word 'Bharat', look up the history of the Indus valley civilisation and the unification by religion across the subcontinent. There are still 29 separate States, still warring (in words) :lol: Do you watch Indian TV? certainly you do, otherwise you would not be such an expert.:lol::lol:

The British had guns. They had the backing if needed of a much larger army. The Hindus were largely a passive people, they were also kept in place by keeping them poor by taxation and land grabs and it only needs the presence of a few soldiers in each area to keep such people in order. There were many deaths and atrocities. Anyway you were there you know it all.:lol:

Of course it all started by trade and trade deals that went horribly wrong because of takeover by one side.:lol:

Just thought--you are correct --"No British no India as we know it today"---It would have been infinitely wealthier today if they had been able to keep all their assets.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12149428)
Just thought--you are correct --"No British no India as we know it today"---It would have been infinitely wealthier today if they had been able to keep all their assets.

True but they could also still be kicking the shit out of each other over them. The truth is that nobody really knows.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 11th 2017 10:44 pm

The EU has more to lose from hard Brexit than the UK, Mark Carney says

"The EU has more to lose from Brexit than the UK, the Governor of the Bank of England has said as he admitted that Britain's economy will defy his own gloomy forecasts and grow at a faster rate than expected.

Mark Carney conceded that Brexit is no longer the biggest domestic risk to Britain's economy after issuing a series of dire warnings about the consequences of a leave vote in the run up to the EU referendum.

The Bank of England is now “very likely” to improve its economic forecast next month, Mr Carney said as he said he was “surprised” that the economic slowdown that he forecast has not materialised."

Scamp Jan 12th 2017 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12149054)
There have always been European workers/residents in the UK, long before EEC existed.
Why would this change?
The ending of 'free movement' would be fairer to would-be permanent migrants from non-EU Europe and the rest of the world.

Seasonal and temporary workers would obviously be from Europe. As I replied to another poster people are not going to travel across the world just to collect garbage (his idea of immigrant labour).

It was just a question Bipat....because I was curious. I wondered if the UK is at breaking point because of all the immigration, would all Brexit voters be happy for all the current immigrants to stay AND have 'controlled' immigration from now on? I'm sure plenty would want to boot lots out, no?

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149157)
IMVHO, refugees should not be able to sponsor their family members to join them though. The ones who are trying to push for that in Germany especially at the moment are really biting the hand that feeds them.

You need to stop and think about things from another perspective other than with your head so far up your own arse.

Travelled thousands of miles to escape war. Try to find a better life. Perhaps even willing to work and contribute. Had to leave family behind because couldn't afford the large costs. Tries to bring wife and kids to join in new life so they are safe.

Sorry. No. Just you allowed. Family must remain in X.

Dick, his Britain First buddies and the Daily Express explode with OUTRAGE at 'hoardes' of young men on their own prowling around towns looking for prey....:blink:

Gives you something to moan about eh.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12149185)
Hide the digestives ... :unsure:

I miss school.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149221)
My point is that the vast majority of applications for asylum to first-world countries seem to be based on very little more than legal loopholes and opportunism.

There will always be some who take advantage.
There will be plenty who want to get the best possible option from a horrid situation (I would be in this category)...think - head for Europe.
There will be many who have no choice but to flee and go wherever they can.

This last category is why there are 2.1 million Syrian refugees in Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq and Egypt.

I mean, your options of staying at home have to be pretty ****ing dreadful if you leave home for Iraq, right?

morpeth Jan 12th 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12148981)
For those of you living in the US, is Trump's plan to repeal ObamaCare now that he is days away from being in office?

It's hard to find any real news on what is going on in American politics from the British press at the moment because they are all still so fixated on how much they hate him to publish anything genuinely informative.

Simply the Republicans and Trump will not repeal Obamacare on 'day 1' or anytime soon because it would take away insurance from too many, and be an administrative nightmare to do all at once. Their stated intention is to develop an alternative pan, or repeal in stages over a 1 to 2 year period. In practice I think reasonable to conclude it will be 6 months to 2 years before any "repeal" to take place. Or they will amend aspects of he plan "declare victory " and move on.

Red Eric Jan 12th 2017 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12149054)
The ending of 'free movement' would be fairer to would-be permanent migrants from non-EU Europe and the rest of the world.

Isn't it time we dropped this pretence that we voted to leave the EU because of concerns about the fairness of current arrangements?

EMR Jan 12th 2017 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12149511)
The EU has more to lose from hard Brexit than the UK, Mark Carney says

"The EU has more to lose from Brexit than the UK, the Governor of the Bank of England has said as he admitted that Britain's economy will defy his own gloomy forecasts and grow at a faster rate than expected.

Mark Carney conceded that Brexit is no longer the biggest domestic risk to Britain's economy after issuing a series of dire warnings about the consequences of a leave vote in the run up to the EU referendum.

The Bank of England is now “very likely” to improve its economic forecast next month, Mr Carney said as he said he was “surprised” that the economic slowdown that he forecast has not materialised."

The way you post anyone would think it was bad news.
It is good news that the growth in the UK economy that has nothing to do with the brexit vote is continuing..
There were also reports yesterday that you ignore that are forcasting the opposite a significanf fall ingrowth in 2017,18.
Time will tell but lets be positive what ever the cock up this government looks like making over brexit.