British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Jan 11th 2017 2:30 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12149185)
Hide the digestives ... :unsure:

Now that's offputting :blink:

Bipat Jan 11th 2017 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149157)
I think if it's a genuine relationship between a local citizen and a refugee then that should be treated just how your relationship and mine were by the immigration authorities in question.

IMVHO, refugees should not be able to sponsor their family members to join them though. The ones who are trying to push for that in Germany especially at the moment are really biting the hand that feeds them.

So, what you are saying is that the able-bodied who were therefore able to get out of a war zone, should abandon parents, and children to further starvation, possible death or permanent life in a camp?

SultanOfSwing Jan 11th 2017 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12149186)
Now that's offputting :blink:

It's a Pavlovian thing. Every time someone mentions public school, I have to make a dig about wanking. It's a cross I have to bear.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12149188)
So, what you are saying is that the able-bodied who were therefore able to get out of a war zone, should abandon parents, and children to further starvation, possible death or permanent life in a camp?

Well let's be honest, when the able-bodied embark upon thousand-mile long illegal journeys they are effectively doing that anyway. There is no guarantee that the host country will accept their relatives, or at least not quickly, and if their country of origin really was that dangerous then there is no guarantee that their relatives would survive in their absence anyway.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12149183)
OK. I knew there was a slightly different process but was not 100% on the finer points.

When an applicant is outland it is up to the local government as to what they do which is why countries can specify quotas or just refuse to acknowledge any outland requests for asylum entirely.

The list of countries that Edward Snowden applied to during his internment in Russia and the responses they gathered is a good example.

SultanOfSwing Jan 11th 2017 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149193)
Well let's be honest, when the able-bodied embark upon thousand-mile long illegal journeys they are effectively doing that anyway. There is no guarantee that the host country will accept their relatives, or at least not quickly, and if there country of origin really was that dangerous then there is no guarantee that their relatives would survive in their absence anyway.

It's a calculated risk. In any life-or-death scenario the people who are most likely to successfully complete the journey are the ones who will undertake it. They likely know it's a risk, or that success is not guaranteed but the chance of success is increased by the able bodied and (purely biologically) stronger men making the journey than women with children in tow, who would themselves likely be targets for capture along the way.

Dismissing these men as somehow deserting their families, or deriding them with some other nonsense is in incredibly poor taste from people like us who don't even have the first clue what kind of shit they have had to deal with.

Nutek Jan 11th 2017 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12149192)
It's a cross I have to bear.

Line on the left, one cross each.

SultanOfSwing Jan 11th 2017 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 12149203)
Line on the left, one cross each.

I was pardoned.

Nutek Jan 11th 2017 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12149205)
I was pardoned.

Well, off you go, then.

If I'm honest, I only came in here cos someone mentioned Digestives.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12149200)
It's a calculated risk. In any life-or-death scenario the people who are most likely to successfully complete the journey are the ones who will undertake it. They likely know it's a risk, or that success is not guaranteed but the chance of success is increased by the able bodied and (purely biologically) stronger men making the journey than women with children in tow, who would themselves likely be targets for capture along the way.

Dismissing these men as somehow deserting their families, or deriding them with some other nonsense is in incredibly poor taste from people like us who don't even have the first clue what kind of shit they have had to deal with.

So how do you justify those Chinese ones who were showing up on the US border claiming the one child policy as the reason?

Lion in Winter Jan 11th 2017 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149208)
So how do you justify those Chinese ones who were showing up on the US border claiming the one child policy as the reason?

Why do you - or anyone - care if Chinese emigrate to the US?

People have moved around the planet for ever. This obsession with who lives in which bit of geography is keeping people very well distracted from far greater problems.

Lion in Winter Jan 11th 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 12149207)
Well, off you go, then.

If I'm honest, I only came in here cos someone mentioned Digestives.

I believe it's only the plain ones they use though.

SultanOfSwing Jan 11th 2017 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149208)

Why do I have to justify it? What business is it of mine if US immigration decide to admit them?

Lion in Winter Jan 11th 2017 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12149215)
Why do I have to justify it? What business is it of mine if US immigration decide to admit them?

But...but....they're foreign.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12149215)

My point is that the vast majority of applications for asylum to first-world countries seem to be based on very little more than legal loopholes and opportunism.