British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DigitalGhost Jan 10th 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12147869)
I doubt that - and I sincerely hope not, even though I do have some pretty severe gripes about it - but if it ever does come to that, it will be because of an overdose of neoliberalism rather than liberalism, which is what I assume you would prefer to blame it on.

If nothing else it will collapse under the weight of it's own red tape, economic failures and the outright disaster that was the Schengen treaty.

Red Eric Jan 10th 2017 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12147884)
If nothing else it will collapse under the weight of it's own red tape, economic failures and the outright disaster that was the Schengen treaty.

Red tape? Love the stuff. Wrap me up in it. It keeps me feeling warm, fuzzy and well-protected.:) The only people who want to get rid of it are those who want to exploit or do damage for the sake of their own profit.

Economic failures? - sure. The weaknesses inherent in the single currency and the extreme neoliberal "solutions" to the problems it has caused.

Schengen? - no, not for my money. Schengen's fine.

*its, not it's ;)

DigitalGhost Jan 10th 2017 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12147905)

Schengen? - no, not for my money. Schengen's fine.

It has allowed massive levels of illegal immigration and has placed people at serious risk from criminals and terrorism. It is anything but fine.

Lion in Winter Jan 10th 2017 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12147738)
Are you really comparing May with Trump?

Don't get me wrong, they are both geniuses but for very different reasons. Aside from that, there is zero similarity between them.

Einstein was a genius.

Mozart was a genius.

Hawking is a genius.

You like to keep the bar pretty low, don't you.

DigitalGhost Jan 10th 2017 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12147929)
Einstein was a genius.

Mozart was a genius.

Hawking is a genius.

You like to keep the bar pretty low, don't you.

As were Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin and Kim Il Sung depending upon whom you ask.

Measurement of genius is relative.

Lion in Winter Jan 10th 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12147931)
As were Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin and Kim Il Sung depending upon whom you ask.

Measurement of genius is relative.

And in relation to what are May and Trump geniuses?

DigitalGhost Jan 10th 2017 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12147943)
And in relation to what are May and Trump geniuses?

For the reasons I mentioned above. They have both managed to work their way into two of the most powerful positions on this planet.

Trump managed to convince people that the could solve all of their economic problems, ban people from the US based upon their religious beliefs and force America's impoverished neighbour to fund a 2k mile long border that would eventually prove extremely detrimental to their own economy.

Does that make him a genius in academic terms? No way.

Does that make him a genius in the art of manipulating and influencing people? Absolutely.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 10th 2017 2:02 pm

On a lighter note.....

What's Juncker doing? Brussels boss greets EU team in bizarre images | World | News | Daily Express

Is he totally Bonkers ?

Is he just his normal self and pissed as a fart ?

Or is he using his pals as guinea pigs, to try and develop a new hair growing technique ?

:rofl:

Lion in Winter Jan 10th 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12147957)
For the reasons I mentioned above. They have both managed to work their way into two of the most powerful positions on this planet.

Trump managed to convince people that the could solve all of their economic problems, ban people from the US based upon their religious beliefs and force America's impoverished neighbour to fund a 2k mile long border that would eventually prove extremely detrimental to their own economy.

Does that make him a genius in academic terms? No way.

Does that make him a genius in the art of manipulating and influencing people? Absolutely.

May won a party leadership in an internal contest during a time of confusion. That seems more like opportunism and simply being a good political hack. I wouldn't call it genius of any kind.

Trump is simply a (somewhat lunatic) narcissistic businessman, and has actually done nothing that all successful US presidents and leading politicians have not done in the past - succeed based on lies, obfuscation, the uninformed nature of the US public, and the spending of large sums of money. The fact that he did it in a more flamboyant and less sophisticated way does not make him a genius of any kind, or even that different. He is simply a representation of the US political system with its mask of respectable democracy removed.

DaveLovesDee Jan 10th 2017 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12147810)
When I use the term extremist liberal, I do mean it as an insult. I have very little time for most British liberals. I have met many American, Canadian, Aussie and Japanese people who would consider themselves liberal but not one of them would be as willing to hand over their country blindly to outsiders as most British liberals are. They also tend to be far more open-minded and respectful and less eager to use the cheap racist card toward those with differing opinions than the British liberal crowd are.

Can you name any extreme-left political parties in the UK?

Or even any extreme-left UK politicians?

You have some curious views of politics. Who h century was your time machine supposed to land in?

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 10th 2017 5:07 pm

Austria will maintain border controls ‘indefinitely’ – POLITICO

Austria will maintain border controls ‘indefinitely’
A return to Schenghen borders is not ‘justifiable,’ says interior minister.

DigitalGhost Jan 10th 2017 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12148210)
Austria will maintain border controls ‘indefinitely’ – POLITICO

Austria will maintain border controls ‘indefinitely’
A return to Schenghen borders is not ‘justifiable,’ says interior minister.

I thought they weren't allowed to do that. When Germany started it to combat the gigantic mess and turmoil that they created in the first place, it was reported that they could only reintroduce them for 90 days as a 'state of emergency' type measure.

DigitalGhost Jan 10th 2017 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12148204)
Can you name any extreme-left political parties in the UK?

Or even any extreme-left UK politicians?

The Greens maybe? Or the Lib Dems or Corbyn?

Tbh, if there is anybody more left-wing than that lot in this country then I really don't want to meet them.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 10th 2017 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12148217)
I thought they weren't allowed to do that. When Germany started it to combat the gigantic mess and turmoil that they created in the first place, it was reported that they could only reintroduce them for 90 days as a 'state of emergency' type measure.

I assume the emergency has no obvious end date.

DigitalGhost Jan 10th 2017 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12147974)
May won a party leadership in an internal contest during a time of confusion. That seems more like opportunism and simply being a good political hack. I wouldn't call it genius of any kind.

Trump is simply a (somewhat lunatic) narcissistic businessman, and has actually done nothing that all successful US presidents and leading politicians have not done in the past - succeed based on lies, obfuscation, the uninformed nature of the US public, and the spending of large sums of money. The fact that he did it in a more flamboyant and less sophisticated way does not make him a genius of any kind, or even that different. He is simply a representation of the US political system with its mask of respectable democracy removed.

Really? You don't think that it must at last take some level of intelligence to secure the highest office in the world with no previous experience of politics or public office whatsoever? Incidentally I do consider it slightly unfair to refer to the US public as 'uninformed'. Undoubtedly they seem place more trust in their politicians and public figures than we do a lot of the time but I wouldn't necessarily say that makes them uninformed.

I am strongly of the belief that May knew exactly what she was doing the entire time and that is likely that a backhand deal was made with Cameron prior to her support for the Remain camp being announced but I am also happy to accept that others may believe differently.