British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

mrken30 Jan 9th 2017 7:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Looks like the pound may fall below $1.20 this week

SultanOfSwing Jan 9th 2017 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12147240)

Now that it looks like we're heading out there this summer, this news doesn't bother me quite so much anymore ...

mrken30 Jan 9th 2017 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12147241)
Now that it looks like we're heading out there this summer, this news doesn't bother me quite so much anymore ...

Me too, it will be like a summer sale. May need to take 2 suitcases.

SultanOfSwing Jan 9th 2017 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12147243)
Me too, it will be like a summer sale. May need to take 2 suitcases.

We'll probably be taking one each so we can a) bring gifts over for my family and b) bring shit back here. That's what we did the last time. Does my 7 year old need her own suitcase? Hell no, but how else can we bring back Irn Bru and Monster Munch?

mrken30 Jan 9th 2017 8:01 pm

What do you take to your family. We have a hard time deciding what to take because you can buy a lot of the crap in the UK now and some stuff just isn't worth taking.

SultanOfSwing Jan 9th 2017 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12147248)
What do you take to your family. We have a hard time deciding what to take because you can buy a lot of the crap in the UK now and some stuff just isn't worth taking.

Most of the time it's Christmas and birthday presents we were either too forgetful to send on time, or were big enough for postage to become prohibitive. This year, my wife crocheted (****ing huge) blankets for various people. Much easier to bring those over on our trip than to pay $60 or more to mail them.

Also, we bring back sweets and stuff. My sister became addicted to Tootsie Rolls last time we were over.

mrken30 Jan 9th 2017 8:29 pm

I am lazy, I just send Amazon gift cards through amazon.co.uk for birthdays

SultanOfSwing Jan 9th 2017 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12147281)
I am lazy, I just send Amazon gift cards through amazon.co.uk for birthdays

We've done that once or twice. Or we've ordered things via Amazon UK to be delivered as well.

Most of the time we forget and gifts are exchanged during a visit at either end.

DaveLovesDee Jan 9th 2017 8:37 pm

When my wife goes back to Canada for visits, the only thing I ask her to bring back are gloves from Dollarama. Even they're better than the cheap ones we get in the UK.

mrken30 Jan 9th 2017 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12147285)
We've done that once or twice. Or we've ordered things via Amazon UK to be delivered as well.

Most of the time we forget and gifts are exchanged during a visit at either end.

Nice thing with amazon gift cards is you can buy them months in advance to be delivered on a certain date.

Wintersong Jan 9th 2017 10:32 pm

My Mum likes the variety of cake mixes over here so I usually take some of those. Chocolate covered pretzels. Some varieties of M&M's that aren't sold in the UK. My brother usually asks for the Smucker's peanut butter with jelly - apparently he's too lazy to open 2 separate jars.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 9th 2017 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12147091)
And that was a gigantic and monumental mistake.

I have no problem with skilled immigration from anywhere but every other nationality apart from British needs to be treated equally and the numbers need to be completely under UK government control. Anything else just leads to a mess.

Precisely,
Unfortunately the Eu is not a great believer in equality, other than to put terrorists and undesirables within the Eu on an equal footing as decent citizens, until such time as it's far too late to do anything about it.

Citizens from all over the World should be treated equally in my view, rather than those from outside of the Eu being treated as second class.
All part of the great Eu Empire building project no doubt and sadly we've seen it all before.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 10th 2017 1:07 am

Jeremy Corbyn: UK can be better off out of the EU

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ation#comments

DaveLovesDee Jan 10th 2017 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12147528)
Jeremy Corbyn: UK can be better off out of the EU

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ation#comments

From your link;

Jeremy Corbyn will use his first speech of 2017 to claim that Britain can be better off outside the EU and insist that the Labour party has no principled objection to ending the free movement of European workers in the UK.

Setting out his party’s pitch on Brexit in the year that Theresa May will trigger article 50, the Labour leader will also reach for the language of leave campaigners by promising to deliver on a pledge to spend millions of pounds extra on the NHS every week.
So he hasn't actually said this, it's just speculation (whether informed or not) right now.

EMR Jan 10th 2017 7:47 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12147240)

May is blaming the media for wrongly interpreting her statements on access to the single market.
Are we seeing the spread of Trumpism into UK politics.
Sterling down again this morning .