British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DigitalGhost Jan 9th 2017 1:53 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12146845)
It's just that I'm very good friends with some Bulgarians (plus I've been there myself )and they don't fit your description at all. Not one little bit. And Bulgaria's right next door to Romania. Just wondered if the bad habits stop right at the border.

I never described Bulgarians and I have no problem with Romanian people themselves. I reported to a Romanian in a previous job but that was a different class of Romanian i.e. someone with skills and English ability who had purposefully emigrated from Romania in the late 90's with money and a plan. Not someone who just bought a one way budget coach ticket with an EU passport, a pack of cigarettes and a hope for the best.

EMR Jan 9th 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12146847)
Well no, they are Britain's problem obviously. But destitute foreigners consuming what little public resources are available to the homeless and needy these days does not help them one iota.

THe evidence to support your statements is what exactly ?
So far since your return you have not made one claim that you can substantiate.

SultanOfSwing Jan 9th 2017 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12146845)
And Bulgaria's right next door to Romania. Just wondered if the bad habits stop right at the border.

I wonder if Irish people who encounter Brits on holiday in Ibiza ask themselves the same question :whistle:

Well no, they are Britain's problem obviously. But destitute foreigners consuming what little public resources are available to the homeless and needy these days does not help them one iota.

I'd be interested to see the number of destitute foreigners who are consuming public resources is expressed as a percentage of total net EU migration.

I'm sure no Brits are taking advantage of free movement in Spain, Portugal or the south of France at all.

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12146850)
... but that was a different class of Romanian ...

Holy shit :blink:

DigitalGhost Jan 9th 2017 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12146861)
I'm sure no Brits are taking advantage of free movement in Spain, Portugal or the south of France at all.

I have also unfortunately seen some British morons acting as a drain on the Spanish welfare system first hand and I would agree that also needs to stop.

SultanOfSwing Jan 9th 2017 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12146866)
I have also unfortunately seen some British morons acting as a drain on the Spanish welfare system first hand and I would agree that also needs to stop.

At least you recognise it's not just all one way traffic.

That being said, are the ones who take advantage of whatever system they happen to be living in really the majority, or just a convenient scapegoat?

Bipat Jan 9th 2017 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12146850)
I never described Bulgarians and I have no problem with Romanian people themselves. I reported to a Romanian in a previous job but that was a different class of Romanian i.e. someone with skills and English ability who had purposefully emigrated from Romania in the late 90's with money and a plan. Not someone who just bought a one way budget coach ticket with an EU passport, a pack of cigarettes and a hope for the best.

As EMR has said what evidence/figures do you have regarding the skills/non skills of Romanians.

I know that there are Romanian doctors coming as there have been complaints about a shortage of medical professionals in Romania as many are going to the UK. (Also they will still be eligible to come anyway regardless of free movement).

Certainly UK should be training more doctors but that takes years.
Our own GP in the UK is Czechoslovakian she is married to a British National who also qualified there--so UK got two for the price of one!

Red Eric Jan 9th 2017 2:06 pm

They're not entitled to consume any public welfare resources until after they've become habitually resident. Habitually resident doesn't mean getting off the bus at Victoria Coach Station.

DigitalGhost Jan 9th 2017 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12146876)
They're not entitled to consume any public welfare resources until after they've become habitually resident. Habitually resident doesn't mean getting off the bus at Victoria Coach Station.

They're still in the soup kitchens, the food banks and the charity-ran shelters though.

Red Eric Jan 9th 2017 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12146866)

That's an unusual claim.

I'd like to see you make it in the Spain forum.

DigitalGhost Jan 9th 2017 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12146874)
As EMR has said what evidence/figures do you have regarding the skills/non skills of Romanians.

If someone had a decent skillset then why would they choose a life of homelessness or petty street crime in Britain?

Red Eric Jan 9th 2017 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12146877)
They're still in the soup kitchens, the food banks and the charity-ran shelters though.

Oh - those are public resources now, are they?

My, we are coming along as a nation.

DigitalGhost Jan 9th 2017 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12146880)
Oh - those are public resources now, are they?

My, we are coming along as a nation.

They are resources that are meant for the British public who have lost their way and are struggling to make ends meet. They're not designed to cater to people who shouldn't even be in the country in the first place.

Red Eric Jan 9th 2017 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12146884)
They are resources that are meant for the British public who have lost their way and are struggling to make ends meet. They're not designed to cater to people who shouldn't even be in the country in the first place.

Who shouldn't be in the country?

Romanians and Bulgarians?

DigitalGhost Jan 9th 2017 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12146889)
Who shouldn't be in the country?

Romanians and Bulgarians?

IMHO, correct.

SultanOfSwing Jan 9th 2017 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12146893)
IMHO, correct.

I bet you wouldn't have said that if Stoitchkov and Hagi were signed to your team in the 90s ...