British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Dick Dasterdly Jul 9th 2016 8:34 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11998247)
Yes, but leaving the EU would mean we would leave the EEA unless we negotiate a separate agreement, and this, apparently, is what the 'leave' people are saying should happen.

Should not be any great problem as basically we are in the driving seat.

In any event they don't both have to occur simultaneously.

DaveLovesDee Jul 9th 2016 8:51 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11998116)
It may interest you to know that we are already in the EEA.

The only question will be when we choose to leave it. :cool:

Correct. All EU member states are members of the EEA. Leaving the EU also means leaving the EEA, unless the UK becomes/remains a member of the EFTA and applies to become an EEA member on this basis.

iano Jul 9th 2016 8:52 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11998396)
Should not be any great problem as basically we are in the driving seat..

S'right, Dick. In the driving seat, taking us at our leisure from a seat at the table to one outside in the corridor.

Sovereignty, right ?

Dick Dasterdly Jul 9th 2016 10:31 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by iano (Post 11998408)
S'right, Dick. In the driving seat, taking us at our leisure from a seat at the table to one outside in the corridor.

Sovereignty, right ?

You mean out in the corridor where we've already been sitting these past few years with about as much say as the office cat. :cool:

JACHA Jul 10th 2016 1:08 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Dick. But most people love the office cat.

Lion in Winter Jul 10th 2016 1:52 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11998396)
Should not be any great problem as basically we are in the driving seat.

In any event they don't both have to occur simultaneously.

"We" are in the driving seat? Who is this "we"? Currently, nobody is even running our country. And when somebody does start doing that, to whom will she be indebted? Whose interests will she represent? With which other powerful people will she be surrounded and what will their interests be? That's just how politics is and how governments are run. A country isn't a sports team, and "winning" just isn't that simple.

paulry Jul 10th 2016 4:18 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
An interesting true left wing article, one which is largely spot on :thumbup:

¡Basta Ya, Brussels! British Voters Reject EU Corporate Slavestate

Red Eric Jul 10th 2016 7:21 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11998396)
Should not be any great problem as basically we are in the driving seat.

Not really a good position to be in if the passenger in the rear seat puts you in a headlock and sticks a knife to your throat. ;)

Dick Dasterdly Jul 10th 2016 11:12 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11998595)
Not really a good position to be in if the passenger in the rear seat puts you in a headlock and sticks a knife to your throat. ;)


Good point.

In future I will be very careful not to accept a Remainer as a rear seat passenger.

Certain members of BE especially come to mind. :eek:

EMR Jul 10th 2016 12:16 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11998704)
Good point.

In future I will be very careful not to accept a Remainer as a rear seat passenger.

Certain members of BE especially come to mind. :eek:


How do you spot a brexit drivers they are the ones who drive the wrong way up a one way street or on the wrong side if the road shouting at oncoming traffic.

Red Eric Jul 10th 2016 1:44 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11998704)
In future I will be very careful not to accept a Remainer as a rear seat passenger.

I was thinking more of "the EU", which has been characterised as a passenger cadging a free ride at Britain's expense. You know - the EU the UK now has to sit at a table and play poker with, knowing that it is guaranteed not to be dealt any high value cards.

GeniB Jul 10th 2016 1:56 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
And here's whats happening now folks


Dear Overseas Opportunity Letter Reader,

The expat community in the Algarve has always been dominated by the British... because the British and the Portuguese have been each other’s greatest allies since the 12th century.

This British presence in this part of the world could diminish now.

If, post-Brexit, the U.K. economy struggles (or, as one British friend who joined us in Portugal for our conference last week put it, if the U.K. economy now tanks), Brits, both British tourists and British expats, may be forced to pull out of the Algarve in big numbers, creating an opportunity for another group to come in and snatch up the properties and the rentals the Brits leave behind

Fun heh lovely to have such good friends

la mancha Jul 10th 2016 2:06 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11998797)
And here's whats happening now folks


Dear Overseas Opportunity Letter Reader,

The expat community in the Algarve has always been dominated by the British... because the British and the Portuguese have been each other’s greatest allies since the 12th century.

This British presence in this part of the world could diminish now.

If, post-Brexit, the U.K. economy struggles (or, as one British friend who joined us in Portugal for our conference last week put it, if the U.K. economy now tanks), Brits, both British tourists and British expats, may be forced to pull out of the Algarve in big numbers, creating an opportunity for another group to come in and snatch up the properties and the rentals the Brits leave behind

Fun heh lovely to have such good friends

When will you get it into your head the referendum was not about ‘ME’. It was about British people voting for a better future.

paulry Jul 10th 2016 2:14 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11998797)
And here's whats happening now folks


Dear Overseas Opportunity Letter Reader,

The expat community in the Algarve has always been dominated by the British... because the British and the Portuguese have been each other’s greatest allies since the 12th century.

This British presence in this part of the world could diminish now.

If, post-Brexit, the U.K. economy struggles (or, as one British friend who joined us in Portugal for our conference last week put it, if the U.K. economy now tanks), Brits, both British tourists and British expats, may be forced to pull out of the Algarve in big numbers, creating an opportunity for another group to come in and snatch up the properties and the rentals the Brits leave behind

Fun heh lovely to have such good friends

Don't worry, you can always return to good old blighty! :thumbsup:

GeniB Jul 10th 2016 2:17 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11998806)
When will you get it into your head the referendum was not about ‘ME’. It was about British people voting for a better future.

Oh sorry La Manche..:o Didn't know you were a British Pensioner living in the Algarve watching your pension diminish daily and wondering if your only choice for survival is to sell to that American who isn't about to give you the asking price. My mistake,:confused:


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:35 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.