British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Jan 4th 2017 8:03 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12142656)
More Eu plans. :rofl:

Up till now they've done jack shit except select possibly the most dodgy tax avoidance advisor on the planet as their great and wonderful leader.:lol:

Meanwhile, from your link...

We’re fully involved in international discussions on tax issues and have consistently supported global measures, through the EU, G20 and OECD, which will strengthen international rules to prevent corporate tax avoidance.

:cool:

Your quote function broken, is it?

US official says British government undermined progress on tax avoidance

Britain has been attacked by a senior US official for undermining progress on a global clampdown on tax avoidance by multinationals ahead of an international agreement to be published at the G20 talks in the autumn.

Efforts to establish standards that would prevent companies from shifting their profits across borders to avoid taxes are said to have amounted to a “collective failure” due, in part, to self-interested moves made by David Cameron’s government.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 4th 2017 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12142655)
From your link;

I see. So the EU will no longer be able to advertise where some of the funds go to from our EU contributions....

But of course, as we're still in the EU (no Article 50 triggered, and no Brexit yet), any such announcement would be meaningless until we have actually left!

So you've said before. This has absolutely bugger all to do with Brexit. As you've been told before.

Well I'm pleased at least you mentioned OUR contributions. :thumbup:

It could well be argued by both sides that little or nothing on this thread is actually Post Brexit as titled.

I would suggest a more suitable alternative thread title for the moment would be "Post Brexit Referendum."

..providing of course it doesn't embarrass you too much. :lol:

Red Eric Jan 4th 2017 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12142672)

Have you sent this week's yet? :shades_smile:

DaveLovesDee Jan 4th 2017 8:12 pm

It could well be argued by both sides that little or nothing on this thread is actually Post Brexit as titled.

I would suggest a more suitable alternative thread title for the moment would be "Post Brexit Referendum."

..providing of course it doesn't embarrass you too much. :lol:

Why would it embarrass me? Post Brexit Referendum is a more accurate title than Post Brexit, and definitely more accurate than Post Bremain Referendum, isn't it?

Dick Dasterdly Jan 4th 2017 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12142667)

You seem to forget that Dodgy Dave is no longer at the helm and most likely had his own reasons for his policies at that time.

Thankfully he is now just a sad piece of history soon to be joined I would hope by your own very dodgy Pres. :lol:

Red Eric Jan 4th 2017 8:13 pm

How about "Dick posts shite"? :cool:

SultanOfSwing Jan 4th 2017 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12142678)
How about "Dick posts shite"? :cool:

Really, really obscure gay joke?

Dick Dasterdly Jan 4th 2017 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12142676)
Why would it embarrass me? Post Brexit Referendum is a more accurate title than Post Brexit, and definitely more accurate than Post Bremain Referendum, isn't it?

Fair enough.
I wonder if one of the mods would oblige without adding an extra thread to the confusion ?

SultanOfSwing Jan 4th 2017 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12142683)
Fair enough.
I wonder if one of the mods would oblige without adding an extra thread to the confusion ?

Why bother? It's still going to be filled with the same bollocks no matter what we call it.

Red Eric Jan 4th 2017 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12142677)
You seem to forget that Dodgy Dave is no longer at the helm and most likely had his own reasons for his policies at that time.

So you're not bothering to deny any more that the UK has been obstructive to proposals to clamp down on tax evasion, or to suggest that that's rubbish because it came from the EU?

Good - more progress. You're hard work but it can be very rewarding. :cool:

DaveLovesDee Jan 4th 2017 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12142677)

As did Juncker likely have his reasons at the time of the events you keep knocking him for.

Thankfully he is now just a sad piece of history soon to be joined I would hope by your own very dodgy Pres. :lol:
I don't have a President, dodgy or otherwise.

The country I live in has a monarchy, an elected House of Commons, and an un-elected House of Lords. None of these are led by a President.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12142683)
Fair enough.

Ask them. It's an excellent idea.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 4th 2017 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12142691)
So you're not bothering to deny any more that the UK has been obstructive to proposals to clamp down on tax evasion, or to suggest that that's rubbish because it came from the EU?

Good - more progress. You're hard work but it can be very rewarding. :cool:

Eu PROPOSALS Eric,

...and we all know by now how they turn out,
though I suppose we can all live in hope. :cool:

Now that Dodgy Dave has thankfully gone we can only wait to see what follows as regards the U.K.s future response but given the EUs past record it would be no surprise for the UK to avoid their proposals like the plague.

Red Eric Jan 5th 2017 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12142752)
Eu PROPOSALS Eric,

...and we all know by now how they turn out,
though I suppose we can all live in hope. :cool:

And there you've been telling us the EU is a dictatorship all this time :rolleyes: I presume we can confidently consign that to the Dustbin of Dicky Pronouncements now, with your full blessing. Add to which, it wasn't only the EU which was making proposals which the UK was thwarting - you might remember the article I quoted from and you responded to which was about US proposals. Scroll up about half a dozen posts if you've forgotten it.

I agree it's difficult to get proposals turned into concrete measures - on ny front - when you have to get the agreement of 28 member states, each with their own reasons for wanting to maintain or alter the status quo on any matter.

However, going back to the article you first linked to when you yet again brought up the Luxembourg tax deals, you might have noticed the following buried deep in the body of the article :

Luxembourg particularly objected to a relaxation of the committee’s own rules on decision making, insisting there was no need to abandon the unanimity requirement.

France, Germany and Sweden argued unsuccessfully that removing unanimity had become essential to the committee’s effectiveness.

Luxembourg also opposed plans to identify member states that were standing in the way of reforms more clearly. One leaked cable noted: “It has become abundantly clear once again that a majority [of members states] are not interested in real reform. In particular, Luxembourg representatives said they would fundamentally object to any proposal to publish arguments made by Luxembourg in the committee.”
Do you see that? Luxembourg was indeed taking advantage of prevailing circumstances but note who was not on that little list of countries arguing for the removal of the unanimity requirement that enabled her to do so.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12142752)
Now that Dodgy Dave has thankfully gone we can only wait to see what follows as regards the U.K.s future response but given the EUs past record it would be no surprise for the UK to avoid their proposals like the plague.

Indeed it might not - and that, I suspect, is what might well be what those behind the duping of the UK electorate into voting for Brexit really want. On many fronts but possibly most of all on the turning of the UK and its assorted territories, dependencies etc into the most ginormous tax haven on the planet (if they haven't already done so).

Fredbargate Jan 5th 2017 11:02 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Have I woken up in a parallel universe ?

Or has the world been renamed ?

mikelincs Jan 5th 2017 11:07 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12143192)
Have I woken up in a parallel universe ?

Or has the world been renamed ?

No just the thread, to a more correct title as Brexit hasn't even started.