British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Jan 2nd 2017 8:19 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12140655)
Maybe I phrased my question poorly. Junker as prime minister of Luxembourg certainly should have looked after the interests of his country. Junker as head of the European executive certainly then should do what he is paid to do, which is to benefit of EU though human nature he will probably lean in many instances to policies that wouldn't hurt his country too much.

I don't see what the issue is. ( The little I have seen of Junker he seems to epitomize why some people are opposed to the EU a very disagreeable person in my opinion).

Not from my point of view.

Of course the governments of member states are charged with doing the best they can for their country but what they do has to remain within the framework of EU law and they should also take into account the spirit of that law rather than just the letter.

As we all know by now, it is extremely difficult for lawmakers to cater for every possible situation when they are up against teams of legal and financial experts picking everything apart down to the placement of puntuation marks in order to misinterpret what to most of us has clearly been laid down.

So when the EU has done what little it has been able to (without incurring accusations of dictatorship) in terms of trying to ensure that full rates of tax are paid somewhere in the EU, it shouldn't be the case that there's a mad scramble by each of the member states to cut the throats of every other member by bending the rules to the point of breakage in order to gain a financial advantage for themselves and, in the process, giving vast corporations a very easy ride.

Luxembourg is by no means alone in this sort of thing but the clamour against Juncker is just a side-show. The real issue is a lack of will by enough of the member states to co-operate in changing the circumstances which brought about Juncker's ability to act as he did. And he did what he did with the collusion of other member states, including the UK.

morpeth Jan 2nd 2017 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12140688)
Not from my point of view.

Of course the governments of member states are charged with doing the best they can for their country but what they do has to remain within the framework of EU law and they should also take into account the spirit of that law rather than just the letter.

As we all know by now, it is extremely difficult for lawmakers to cater for every possible situation when they are up against teams of legal and financial experts picking everything apart down to the placement of puntuation marks in order to misinterpret what to most of us has clearly been laid down.

So when the EU has done what little it has been able to (without incurring accusations of dictatorship) in terms of trying to ensure that full rates of tax are paid somewhere in the EU, it shouldn't be the case that there's a mad scramble by each of the member states to cut the throats of every other member by bending the rules to the point of breakage in order to gain a financial advantage for themselves and, in the process, giving vast corporations a very easy ride.

Luxembourg is by no means alone in this sort of thing but the clamour against Juncker is just a side-show. The real issue is a lack of will by enough of the member states to co-operate in changing the circumstances which brought about Juncker's ability to act as he did. And he did what he did with the collusion of other member states, including the UK.

Good post !

Fredbargate Jan 2nd 2017 10:21 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12140198)
Didn't answer before because I found it amusing you were so sure of what my nationality was and where I lived.

https://youtu.be/dFoRHWw2Dp0

Geography is only one of his weak points ;)

EMR Jan 2nd 2017 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12140809)
Geography is only one of his weak points ;)

Well given that yours is limited to decades on a rock, I am not sure what your point us.
At least Fred we are no hiding our nationality and location.

Novocastrian Jan 2nd 2017 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12140198)
Didn't answer before because I found it amusing you were so sure of what my nationality was and where I lived.

https://youtu.be/dFoRHWw2Dp0

On a point of order, someone from Morpeth isn't a Geordie, but merely a Northumbrian. Analogously to the definition of Cockney and its connection to Bow Bells, a Geordie is someone who was born within earshot of The Leazes End Roar. :nod:

morpeth Jan 2nd 2017 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12140829)
Well given that yours is limited to decades on a rock, I am not sure what your point us.
At least Fred we are no hiding our nationality and location.

I haven't a clue what your nationality is or your location, nor did I assume your views were dependent on either, as you did in my case.

Born at Newcastle General. Lived in various countries , so there.

morpeth Jan 2nd 2017 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12141062)
On a point of order, someone from Morpeth isn't a Geordie, but merely a Northumbrian. Analogously to the definition of Cockney and its connection to Bow Bells, a Geordie is someone who was born within earshot of The Leazes End Roar. :nod:

Quite agree, but Northumberland does allow us in ! ( I had advantage of some ancestry from Newbiggin, though I guess those from the Highlands don't count).

Dick Dasterdly Jan 2nd 2017 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12141062)

That's a new one.
Traditionally within earshot of the Tyne between Wallsend and Blaydon was what I was always told.

Novocastrian Jan 3rd 2017 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12141181)
That's a new one.
Traditionally within earshot of the Tyne between Wallsend and Blaydon was what I was always told.

Silent flows the Tyne.

morpeth Jan 3rd 2017 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12141505)
Silent flows the Tyne.

Or the Wansbeck.

My grandfather and my uncles claimed they spoke three languages- Pitmatic, Geordie and English, though lived in Northumberland -closer to Newcastle than Blaydon. My great grandmother and grandmother spoke Scots, which they said was the real English like Northumbrian, and Geordie not a dialect just people who never learnt Scots properly.

Oh well , the lads lost yesterday so Geordies, near-Geordies, maybe Geordies, can all lament.

Fredbargate Jan 3rd 2017 10:45 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12141104)
Quite agree, but Northumberland does allow us in ! ( I had advantage of some ancestry from Newbiggin, though I guess those from the Highlands don't count).

My navigation in that area has suffered since the 4 chimneys disappeared

Dick Dasterdly Jan 3rd 2017 11:16 am

UK will create 400,000 jobs if it quits the customs union as part of Brexit talks, analysis finds

Red Eric Jan 3rd 2017 11:24 am

Economists dispute claim that Brexit could create 400,000 jobs

Red Eric Jan 3rd 2017 11:27 am

Brexit: banks consider whether to start moving business out of UK

Dick Dasterdly Jan 3rd 2017 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12141605)

Here we go again.
When all else fails it's back to the old fearmongering.

Strange considering it's been going on from long before the referendum, yet very little has changed other than more organisations expressing confidence and further investing in the U.K. :cool: