British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Dec 31st 2016 11:50 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12139695)
BREXIT BOOST: FTSE firms grew by £227BILLION in 2016 as investors back British business

THE London stock market hit a record high last night as financial gains for the year rose to 14.4 per cent - allaying fears that Britain’s EU exit could have a negative impact on the market.

Dear oh dear Dick 12 months of you posting out of date and illinformed opinion .
The footsie is higher because the majority of the big companies are seeing higher overseas earnings, from the US, the EU, etc.
It has nothing to do with the brexit vote .
Why have you stopped adding as per the Express or similar.
You are not fooling anyone.
They do not rely on the UK economy for their earnings.
FACTS again Dick FACTS.

Fredbargate Dec 31st 2016 12:09 pm

I see we will end the year with the same theme

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12138444)
Dick good news is down to the fact we haven't left the EU yet

Bad news is down to the fact we voted brexit

That is the theme running through the whole of this thread
From the pessimistic bunch who are frightened to let go of their mother's apron strings and are happy to loose their identities and individuality.

EMR Dec 31st 2016 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12139713)
I see we will end the year with the same theme

You are certainly right, good news has nothing to do with Brexit.
The only negatve news that can really be attributed to thr brexit vote is the fall in sterling and the effects it is and will have on the economy, hardly inginificant.
As brexit has yet to happen there is no evidence yet good or bad.

Red Eric Dec 31st 2016 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12139700)
The Eu becomes more and more like a replica of the failed USSR with every day that passes by taking on board it's hated traits

Advertising guru Alexander Segert said the EU elite were operating like the old Soviet politburo imposing centralized one-size-fits-all rules and values on everyone in the community.

He added: “They are trying to bring different mentalities and cultures under one roof and level them.

.... And people don’t like that.”

:cool:

There, there Dick. You're safe now. You were big and brave and you fought them off when you put your X on the voting slip. Try to stop thinking about the nasty monster now - you're free.

And don't forget to keep posting the cheques. Thanks :shades_smile:

Red Eric Dec 31st 2016 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12139657)
I have no doubt that the financial services sector will continue to do well, and that some degree of trade of course remain with the EU. I just struggle with the idea that striking a better deal with some third world countries is more beneficial than worsening terms of trade with Europe.

You and me both - particularly as the EU market is also about services, not just manufactured goods, of which the UK doesn't produce a great deal.

If I were the PM I would jump on a plane and park myself in front of Trump Towers to start negotiations on a better deal between UK and USA. The UK for many years if not still the largest foreign investor in the US, and many US companies foreign operations were based in London before the UK joined the EU.

That may well happen, though whether it will be a "better" deal from the point of view of the average UK resident, who knows? Some are referring to the possible prospect as "TTIP on steroids"

I haven't studied matter but it seems like a complete mess, and it will take years to sort out the details. So the UK is supposed to invoke Article 50, then negotiate ? Wouldn't that be a rather weak hand to negotiate with ? Or is the idea Europe does so much business with UK that UK would have upper hand ?
Or should UK wait and see if Le Penn wins next year ?

Well it's all a bit frightening if you ask me. The Article 50 negotiations don't involve the trade aspects at all, because the EU can't negotiate a deal with a country which is still a member state. A50's just about tying up all the loose threads. Only once they're finished and the UK is out can those trade negotiations start.

Similarly, the UK and all the non EU countries it might want to trade with are debarred from setting up bilateral agreements of their own because the UK is still an EU member state. They all, UK included, have to wait to see what sort of relationship the UK & EU end up with before they can even start negotiating. Further to which, the UK doesn't have any trade negotiators of its own anyway, because as part of the EU, it didn't need any. All a bit of a mess.

morpeth Dec 31st 2016 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12139675)
You will probably think that the biggest overseas investor in the US is China but it is still the UK , figures released this year.
I want investment in the UK, jobs created in the UK not UK investment creating jobs overseas.
If there are losses of trade with the EU it will be the brexit voter and UK government thaf will be responsible .

http://www.ofii.org/sites/default/files/FDIUS2014.pdf

At least for foreign direct investment China isn't even near the top investors in the USA for foreign direct investment. The above report seems to be in historical cost, so UK and Dutch cumulative investment on real terms probably even higher.

If Brexit does happen ( I still wonder if it will) definitely UK should strike the best deal it can with the US.

Dick Dasterdly Dec 31st 2016 1:00 pm

Putin says the EU is MORE of a dictatorship than the SOVIET UNION | World | News | Daily Express

Putin says the EU is MORE of a dictatorship than the SOVIET UNION as he slams Brussels

VLADIMIR Putin has hit out at the rampant federalism of the European Union, saying many countries within the bloc feel uninvolved in key sovereign decisions.

Sadly so true, so little point in trying to shoot the messenger.

Is a sad state of affairs when a lowlife like Putin can openly mock with full justification what the Eu has sunk to.

morpeth Dec 31st 2016 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12139735)
You and me both - particularly as the EU market is also about services, not just manufactured goods, of which the UK doesn't produce a great deal.

That may well happen, though whether it will be a "better" deal from the point of view of the average UK resident, who knows? Some are referring to the possible prospect as "TTIP on steroids"

Well it's all a bit frightening if you ask me. The Article 50 negotiations don't involve the trade aspects at all, because the EU can't negotiate a deal with a country which is still a member state. A50's just about tying up all the loose threads. Only once they're finished and the UK is out can those trade negotiations start.

Similarly, the UK and all the non EU countries it might want to trade with are debarred from setting up bilateral agreements of their own because the UK is still an EU member state. They all, UK included, have to wait to see what sort of relationship the UK & EU end up with before they can even start negotiating. Further to which, the UK doesn't have any trade negotiators of its own anyway, because as part of the EU, it didn't need any. All a bit of a mess.

The UK can and probably has already begun informal negotiations, though yes finalizing a deal before Brexit occurs probably wont happen.

Yes will be quite a prospect disentangling the UK and from EU, while it may be preferable from a non-economic point of view, it is hard to see how years of disentangling the relationship with be beneficial especially as I assume EU will take a hard line for fear of additional countries leaving.

I have no doubt London will retain its status as regardless of the EU it has the talent, regulatory regime and accumulated capital that no EU center can match, or likely too. A nightmare dealing with the French rules and approach to financial services.

EMR Dec 31st 2016 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12139737)
Putin says the EU is MORE of a dictatorship than the SOVIET UNION | World | News | Daily Express

Putin says the EU is MORE of a dictatorship than the SOVIET UNION as he slams Brussels

VLADIMIR Putin has hit out at the rampant federalism of the European Union, saying many countries within the bloc feel uninvolved in key sovereign decisions.

Is a sad state of affairs when a lowlife like Putin can openly mock with full justification what the Eu has sunk to.

I think that you must still be full of Christmas spirit to even contemplate such a comparison.
As, when, if the UK finally leaves it will leave such a hole in yiur life that you will need to find another obsession.
Have you thought about fishing , a clot on one end if the line and a worm on the other.

Dick Dasterdly Dec 31st 2016 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12139740)
The UK can and probably has already begun informal negotiations, though yes finalizing a deal before Brexit occurs probably wont happen.

Yes will be quite a prospect disentangling the UK and from EU, while it may be preferable from a non-economic point of view, it is hard to see how years of disentangling the relationship with be beneficial especially as I assume EU will take a hard line for fear of additional countries leaving.

I have no doubt London will retain its status as regardless of the EU it has the talent, regulatory regime and accumulated capital that no EU center can match, or likely too. A nightmare dealing with the French rules and approach to financial services.

Furthermore the main Eu nations are now much less attractive due to the vast increase in security risks, with France for instance intending to continue its state of emergency which by now has become an almost permanent factor.

Red Eric Dec 31st 2016 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12139740)

Possibly not such a nightmare dealing with Irish rules though ;) And they speak English. Sort of.

EMR Dec 31st 2016 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12139744)
Furthermore the main Eu nations are now much less attractive due to the vast increase in security risks, with France for instance intending to continue its state of emergency which by now has become an almost permanent factor.

Dicks, la la land. At least he is happy and obviously know nothing about the security measures being taken in the UK.

Dick Dasterdly Dec 31st 2016 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12139741)
I think that you must still be full of Christmas spirit to even contemplate such a comparison.
As, when, if the UK finally leaves it will leave such a hole in yiur life that you will need to find another obsession.
Have you thought about fishing , a clot on one end if the line and a worm on the other.

To give you an example with regard to Russia itself, Putin could confidently put himself up for a Democratic re election without any need to fiddle the figures and win by a country mile.

Can you imagine in your wildest dreams what support the unelectedcrooks in Brussels would attract from the Eu public if ever they dared to hold a democratic election ?

It would be laughable.

I reckon that your great and wonderful leader Junkie would struggle to get one vote in a million.

:rofl:

Red Eric Dec 31st 2016 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12139737)

But Dick - you're OUT, aren't you? Surely you must remember those halcyon days, flaming June and all that. You fought them on the side of a bus, you fought them on the billboards, you fought them in the polling booths. And you WON!

So no need for any more moaning.

And don't forget the cheques. Thanks :shades_smile:

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...0238?s=594x594

Dick Dasterdly Dec 31st 2016 1:29 pm

On the other hand maybe that's not quite correct, judging by he number of Remoaners on here who would be willing to continue to wipe their arses no matter how low they stooped. :lol: