British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

TGA Dec 24th 2016 1:48 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Britain enjoyed stronger growth than had been thought in the three months to September, closing 2016 with little evidence of a Brexit slowdown.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the economy expanded by 0.6 per cent in the third quarter, up from its earlier estimate of 0.5 per cent, and signalled that it was on track for a robust final three months of the year.

The figures again make a mockery of warnings before the EU referendum that the UK would stall in the aftermath of a Leave vote, though most economists now argue that the negative effect has simply been delayed.

The Treasury had expected the economy to move into recession, contracting by 0.1 per cent in both the third and fourth quarters.

its all good!

Dick Dasterdly Dec 24th 2016 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12136006)
its all good!

Spot on. :thumbup:

"Ah," say the Remoaners, "but Britain hasn't left the EU yet. Just wait until Brexit takes effect."

SORRY CHAPS, BUT THATS NOT WHAT YOU SAID AT THE TIME.

THE LINE TAKEN BY THE TREASURY, THE BANK OF ENGLAND, THE IMF AND VIRTUALLY EVERY INTERNATIONAL AGENCY WAS THE ACT OF VOTING TO LEAVE THE EU WOULD CAUSE AN IMMEDIATE ECONOMIC SHOCK.

Novocastrian Dec 24th 2016 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12136096)
Spot on. :thumbup:

"Ah," say the Remoaners, "but Britain hasn't left the EU yet. Just wait until Brexit takes effect."

THE LINE TAKEN BY THE TREASURY, THE BANK OF ENGLAND, THE IMF AND VIRTUALLY EVERY INTERNATIONAL AGENCY WAS THE ACT OF VOTING TO LEAVE THE EU WOULD CAUSE AN IMMEDIATE ECONOMIC SHOCK.

What who said at the time? The pre-June 23rd REMOANERS?

Rant away peabrain but A50 will be a suicide note for the UK when (if) triggered.

amideislas Dec 25th 2016 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12135986)
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/12/23/o...nan/index.html

(CNN) Exactly six months ago, Britain voted to leave the EU. How is it working out?

Well, the United Kingdom ends 2016 as the fastest-growing G7 economy, according to the IMF. British stocks are the best-performing in Europe. Unemployment keeps falling. Major firms -- GSK, AstraZeneca, Lidl, McDonald's, Google, Wells Fargo -- have announced huge investments.

"Ah," say the pessimists, "but Britain hasn't left the EU yet. Just wait until Brexit takes effect."

George Osborne, then the British chancellor and prominent Remain campaigner, said that there would need to be an emergency budget within days to raise taxes and cut spending by £19 billion -- a plan that was dropped right after the vote.

Mark Carney, the governor of the Bank of England, predicted "a technical recession" -- that is, a contraction in two successive quarters. In fact, the economy expanded by 0.5% in the three months to September and seems to have expanded again during the quarter now ending.

The IMF, having predicted disaster, has been ticked off by its own watchdog for being so obsessed with European integration that it failed to be neutral.

Let's see what happens if the UK leaves the EU.

Dick Dasterdly Dec 25th 2016 9:52 am

MERRY BREXMAS to one and all whatever your views.

:santa::drinkingwine::drinkwine:

TGA Dec 25th 2016 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12136339)

Good call. :thumbsup:
I hope this year brings acceptance and unity in moving forward.

Fredbargate Dec 25th 2016 10:40 am

:thumbsup:

DaveLovesDee Dec 25th 2016 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12136341)
Good call. :thumbsup:
I hope this year brings acceptance and unity in moving forward.

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12136344)
:thumbsup:

Merry Christmas to everyone, whichever way you voted (or didn't).

And a happy New Year!

Fredbargate Dec 26th 2016 8:35 am

Lord King says Brexit brings 'real opportunities'

He said there were "real opportunities" for economic reform and new trade deals which meant Brexit could be a success

Lord King suggested that Britain would be better off economically completely out of the EU single market and that there were "question marks" about staying in the customs union as that may constrain the government's ability to sign trade deals with countries outside the Union.

"I think it's more difficult to take advantage of those opportunities," Lord King said when asked about staying inside the customs union after leaving the EU - a position, for example, adopted by Turkey.

"I don't think it makes sense for us to pretend we should remain in the single market and I think there are real question marks about whether it makes sense to remain in the customs union.

"Clearly if we do that we cannot make our own trade deals with other countries.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38421769

TGA Dec 26th 2016 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12136594)
Lord King says Brexit brings 'real opportunities'

He said there were "real opportunities" for economic reform and new trade deals which meant Brexit could be a success

Lord King suggested that Britain would be better off economically completely out of the EU single market and that there were "question marks" about staying in the customs union as that may constrain the government's ability to sign trade deals with countries outside the Union.

"I think it's more difficult to take advantage of those opportunities," Lord King said when asked about staying inside the customs union after leaving the EU - a position, for example, adopted by Turkey.

"I don't think it makes sense for us to pretend we should remain in the single market and I think there are real question marks about whether it makes sense to remain in the customs union.

"Clearly if we do that we cannot make our own trade deals with other countries.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/newre...e=1&p=12136354

Britain should be 'confident' about Brexit and quit Single Market, former Bank of England governor says
;)

Fredbargate Dec 26th 2016 9:38 am

Thanks TGA I have now amended my post to include the correct link

Vexcore Dec 26th 2016 4:39 pm

THE LABOUR PARTY SIDED WITH BIG BUSINESS IN THE EUROPEAN REFERENDUM, NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE

lol

DaveLovesDee Dec 26th 2016 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12136700)
THE LABOUR PARTY SIDED WITH BIG BUSINESS IN THE EUROPEAN REFERENDUM, NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE

lol

Any fact-based evidence you have of this would be appreciated.

Also, if you press the Caps Lock button once, your keyboard should revert to typing normally.

TGA Dec 27th 2016 7:05 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12136849)
Any fact-based evidence you have of this would be appreciated.

the internet?

TGA Dec 27th 2016 7:10 am

1 Attachment(s)
The Queen Backs Brexit
Source Told Laura K Queen DID Back Brexit at Private Lunch - Guido Fawkes Euro Guido