British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Jul 8th 2016 6:28 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11997541)
SoS


AMI

All of this psycho stuff is irrelevant. You talk as if the people were talked into voting out. How wrong can you be? You use phrases such as:

promoting fear of nonexistent threats,
(perhaps I overestimated the intelligence of the electorate).
the public's subliminal fear of those different than us (who are invariably, "foreigners"), sometimes referred to as "racism".

How many more times must I say this: it was the vote of people who live the life. No one tells them, because they don’t have to: they live it day in day out.

Surely, you aren't going to now claim;

...that without the ubiquitous and constant threat of "immigration", often confusingly described with imagery of thousands of asylum seekers, "invading" the UK as depicted in tabloids and in the poster (obviously middle eastern descent, not European)...

...and widely reported in similar ways in the tabloids, who continuously, indiscriminately depicted or strongly implied verbally and through images, thousands of such "foreigners" living on benefits at taxpayers' expense...

...while patently dismissing the indisputable fact that the vast, vast majority of Europeans living and working in the UK are net contributors to our economy...

...that if leave had not deliberately employed these demonstrably deceptive tactics...

the vote wouldn't have been any different?

Seriously?

The entire programme was little more than a hysterical incitement of fear of foreigners (especially the non-EU types), and our inability to "control" it, as again depicted in "breaking point".

And what does the product they were selling offer? A remedy, of course... To a deliberately fabricated, hysterical red herring...

... because the product simply couldn't be successfully sold on its tangible merits alone. Fear HAD to added to the proposition, and deflected - by incessantly accusing the remain side of exactly that.

Fact: There is no such queue of jihadi muslims entering uncontrollably. AND even if it did exist, it would have absolutely nothing to do with EU membership whatsoever. Full stop.

As I said, I give it 7 points for success.

DaveLovesDee Jul 8th 2016 6:32 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11997599)
Surely, you aren't going to now claim;

Yes, he is.

And please don't call him Shirley!

paulry Jul 8th 2016 6:47 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11997352)
Few problems with the poster, as stated elsewhere.

It shows refugees. The vote was to leave the EU, not the Geneva Convention.

:blink: Really?? Do they look like refugees to you? Where's the women and the children and the elderly? Are you so easily fooled?


Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11997341)
I see the Holy Grail of racism, ‘that’ poster, is doing the rounds again. I said this a few days ago but I will repeat it for those who didn’t see it or chose to ignore it. ‘That’ poster was a brilliant piece of campaigning. The strategy behind it was to make a point that we have to take back control of our borders. Read ‘that’ poster. Nowhere does it mention immigration. It shows fit young men streaming unimpeded into Europe from who knows where. It tells us that the EU has most definitely failed us by leaving our borders open to all-comers. No matter how much hand-wringing posters (sorry for the pun) on here choose to castigate it, ‘that’ poster sent a message and no one can deny it was not the right message. We must break free of the EU to take back control of our borders. The point was made.

‘That’ poster will be talked about forever. It did the job.

Some on here are still wrapped up in immigration. Once and for all, the referendum was NOT about immigration but the problems caused by our inability within the EU to control our country.

Yep, the references to immigration is entirely about taking back control of the country - including its borders.

SultanOfSwing Jul 8th 2016 6:49 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11997618)
:blink: Really?? Do they look like refugees to you? Where's the women and the children and the elderly? Are you so easily fooled?

Aren't you the one who claimed that all refugees were just able-bodied men anyway? Can't have it both ways now, can you? They may not be refugees, I guessed that it probably was, given the angle that they all flood in from Turkey and end up in the UK - that's the current trope, right? Either way, they are not EU migrants, nor are they representative of them.

I'm not the one easily fooled anyway, I always thought the poster was a load of bollocks.

paulry Jul 8th 2016 6:53 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 11997561)
Bullshit.

The EU was being to blame for everything that was shit about our lives in the UK.

Well the EU didn't destroy the mining industry, nor create the conditions for the destruction of the steel industry (both previously major soiurces of employment in my part of the UK).

The EU did however create EU-wide rules on limiting how many hours employees could be made to work (and allowed those who wanted to work more hours to do so if the employee chooses to do so)

The EU did create rules to require employers to treate temporary workers the same as regular employees after 12 weeks of employment.

The EU does provide funding for poorer regions of the UK to offset the decline caused by both parties who've run the country in the last 40+ years.

We may have voted to Leave the EU, but we haven't gone yet. But we've already started to give more power to the barstards who have been the real cause of our misery, and it definitely isn't the EU I'm referring to.


Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11997571)
La Msnche You would probable score very badly on a crime scene test where you had to identify what exactly was going on in the picture :o

The poster does NOT show streams of 'fit young men flooding into the UK'

It does NOT even show young men flooding into Europe.

What it does show.. Is a long line of desperate people crossing a barren landscape. somewhere

It also shows a grinning buffoon, pretending to care ,superimposed on top of those desperate people .

Face it. YOU BOUGHT IT.. Fell hook line and sinker for one of the oldest tricks in the book. Farage cynically manipulated the stereotype he knew people 'feared'
Chose a suitable photo from 'somewhere'? around the globe,photoshopped it and presented it as a fact.
Yes it was brilliant if your were in advertising. If you wanted someone to 'buy' your product. I agree ,People did buy it. The fact that it was a filthy lie shouldn't let people lose any sleep over it now should it.:confused:

:blink: You remainiacs are in utter denial. :blink: How is it possible that you fail to see the situation for what it is? Have you been living in a protected bubble somewhere these last 20 odd years?

amideislas Jul 8th 2016 6:54 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11997627)
:blink: You remainiacs are in utter denial. :blink: How is it possible that you fail to see the situation for what it is? Have you been living in a protected bubble somewhere these last 20 odd years?

erm, I was kind of wondering.... ahh... nevermind. Lost cause.

paulry Jul 8th 2016 6:56 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11997624)
Aren't you the one who claimed that all refugees were just able-bodied men anyway? Can't have it both ways now, can you? They may not be refugees, I guessed that it probably was, given the angle that they all flood in from Turkey and end up in the UK - that's the current trope, right? Either way, they are not EU migrants, nor are they representative of them.

I'm not the one easily fooled anyway, I always thought the poster was a load of bollocks.

Genuine refugees will include lots of women children and elderly. Young men fighting to do the right thing will be doing exactly that - fighting for their country. Isn't that the normal order of things?

EMR Jul 8th 2016 6:59 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11997627)
:blink: You remainiacs are in utter denial. :blink: How is it possible that you fail to see the situation for what it is? Have you been living in a protected bubble somewhere these last 20 odd years?


But many of us have been living the UK, unlike some of our more extreme leavers and know what real life in the UK is about.

SultanOfSwing Jul 8th 2016 6:59 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11997632)
Genuine refugees will include lots of women children and elderly. Young men fighting to do the right thing will be doing exactly that - fighting for their country. Isn't that the normal order of things?

It's always black and white, my country right or wrong with you people, isn't it?

If it's your country who is attacking you, you don't stay and fight for them.

paulry Jul 8th 2016 7:04 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
These are real refugees:

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/refug...?cb=1466005777

In contrast to:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/cp...3_refugees.jpg

SultanOfSwing Jul 8th 2016 7:13 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11997644)

The Syrians are displaced by a civil war, how is anyone supposed to know who to stay and fight for anymore, if your country as you knew it doesn't exist anymore? Those could be young men put to work, they can return to Syria if and when order is ever restored, there are a number of ways that those refugees could be considered 'genuine', but this is why we do have a vetting process in place for refugees, and why they fall under the Geneva Convention and have nothing to do with EU migration.

It's easy to sit here in Australia and the US, nice and comfortable playing armchair quarterback and thinking we know better but neither of us have experienced a civil war.

paulry Jul 8th 2016 7:20 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11997651)
The Syrians are displaced by a civil war, how is anyone supposed to know who to stay and fight for anymore, if your country as you knew it doesn't exist anymore? Those could be young men put to work, they can return to Syria if and when order is ever restored, there are a number of ways that those refugees could be considered 'genuine', but this is why we do have a vetting process in place for refugees, and why they fall under the Geneva Convention and have nothing to do with EU migration.

It's easy to sit here in Australia and the US, nice and comfortable playing armchair quarterback and thinking we know better but neither of us have experienced a civil war.

I have. I lived and worked for nearly a year in Angola during its civil war. The elderly, the women and children fled to the cities and towns and the men fought in the war.

DaveLovesDee Jul 8th 2016 7:24 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11997627)
:blink: You remainiacs are in utter denial.

Really! This is where the sat-nav sent me. :rofl:


Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11997627)
:blink: How is it possible that you fail to see the situation for what it is?

Perspective.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/ca91ff30...Iy71t0jg99.jpg


Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11997627)
Have you been living in a protected bubble somewhere these last 20 odd years?

Yes, and now a majority have voted to Leave. So let's start making an exit plan for when Article 50 is finally triggered.

SultanOfSwing Jul 8th 2016 7:30 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11997656)
I have. I lived and worked for nearly a year in Angola during its civil war. The elderly, the women and children fled to the cities and towns and the men fought in the war.

I don't know how that compares to Syria, but it isn't always cut and dry.

If the US started coming down on us the same way the Syrians are, I'd nope the **** down to Mexico before you could say arriba. Nothing is worth ending up dead over. Certainly not a strip of ****ing land.

EMR Jul 8th 2016 7:36 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11997656)
I have. I lived and worked for nearly a year in Angola during its civil war. The elderly, the women and children fled to the cities and towns and the men fought in the war.

A war that was extended and encouraged by the apartheid south african regime and european mercenairies fighting for control of the oil and minerals.
What exactly did you do.?
Here in the Algarve in the local town are memorials to locals killed fighting in the colonial wars for the right wing dictators who ruled Portugal at that time.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:48 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.