British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Dec 9th 2016 8:44 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12125728)
Can someone let America in on this secret, maybe?

No, that would compromise their freedom. Or greatness. Or something.

SultanOfSwing Dec 9th 2016 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12125753)
No, that would compromise their freedom. Or greatness. Or something.

Seems like a flimsy argument, doesn't it?

Lion in Winter Dec 9th 2016 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12125752)
I think that's up to you to decide ;)

A nice pair of these, maybe.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...z0rxV3bJkw.jpg

Lion in Winter Dec 9th 2016 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12125754)
Seems like a flimsy argument, doesn't it?

Never mind about that, just go shopping and buy a pile of stuff you don't really need until you stop thinking about it.

SultanOfSwing Dec 9th 2016 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12125758)
Never mind about that, just go shopping and buy a pile of stuff you don't really need until you stop thinking about it.

I'll have you know I only buy stuff that I do need, but just don't have room for.

Lion in Winter Dec 9th 2016 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12125759)
I'll have you know I only buy stuff that I do need, but just don't have room for.

That's very un-American of you.

SultanOfSwing Dec 9th 2016 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12125761)
That's very un-American of you.

Some might argue I don't need it, I suppose, but I enjoy it and that's really all that matters to me.

Red Eric Dec 9th 2016 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12125757)

Not sure :confused: I can't see pularkson putting those on in public.

Dick Dasterdly Dec 9th 2016 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12125426)
What does that even mean, and what is the price you pay for "opting-in"? :unsure:

And if there is any tangible benefit to opting-in, isn't it going to encourage other countries to vote to leave if everyone can opt back in again on a personal level? :confused:

Yet another madcap Eu proposal dreamt up by a lefty nutter who would even make old Junkie seem quite intelligent by comparison.

Probably playing politics rather than making a serious properly researched credible proposal, with the main intention of increasing the outrage of the already outraged Remoaners.

Anyway if such a thing ever did come to pass, I wonder if those opting in will be happy to continue funding the corrupt Brussels fat cats lives of luxury and forking out more good money after bad, while much of the Eu is on the breadline and getting poorer ?

Personally I would be totally ashamed to be even remotely associated with the rotten to the core Brussel scumbags one day longer than was absolutely necessary,
though having said that I'll probably still enjoy my Brussel sprouts for Christmas Dinner. :cool:

mrken30 Dec 9th 2016 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12125759)

It took me a while that you can return almost anything you buy in the US. Up to a year in some cases. So just buy,buy,buy and return what you don't want/need.

DaveLovesDee Dec 10th 2016 12:52 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12125308)
If wages are too low, and undoubtedly part of reason some choose to live off benefits, then how would increasing the supply of lower skilled workers not mean there isnt an "over-supply" in terms of wages being kept low ?

Only a minority choose to live off of benefits, despite shows such as Benefits Street. Many more are stuck in a vicious cycle of having never had a job yet can't get an interview because they haven't any experience. Yet another group (and this has happened to me previously) have been told at interview that they want a less-experienced employee because they are easier to train the way the company wants them (with fewer bad habits). Not a good reason to not employ someone, but there you go. Others can't get a job because of a criminal record, which leads them to committing more crime to pay for things they want such as drugs.

There is no over-supply of labour, only an artificially low wage. The government could make the National Minimum Wage £10 an hour any time they want to, which would force employers to pay more (and the additional cost to the employer could be reduced in the amount of tax paid by them to HMRC).

I agree it may be smart to have the top-up for benefits, but is it enough ? I went to the UK government website, seems very little additional of benefit in working many low wage jobs than just staying on benefits and making some cash on the side- it appears that maybe there should be more top-up benefits to create more incentive to work.
When you have companies such as Sports Direct and Amazon treat workers like just another item of stock to be meticulously tracked and monitored, why would anyone want to work for them?

I worked via a temp agency at our local Amazon warehouse four years ago, and actually enjoyed the work. I was sick for a few days, and followed both the Amazon and temp agency's rules for sickness absence, but when I went back I was told I hadn't phoned Amazon to tell them. The temp agency and the Amazon team leader I had been assigned to both proved to Amazon HR that I had phoned in as required, but the HR dept decided that they weren't going to change their mind, and told the agency that. A few months later later, the DWP stopped my money because they'd been told by Amazon that I'd quit my job there. The temp agency wrote a nice letter to the DWP with proof of what actually happened. I am on a 'do not employ' database for Amazon (as are many who were let go by Amazon), and will never get a job there. Yet any time I'm unemployed and there are Amazon vacancies, the Job Centre insists I apply. And every time I end up taking them another letter from the temp agency.

How is unemployment calculated in UK ? For example in USA the official unemployment rate very misleading as it can exclude people not receiving unemployment benefits ( which according to which state can run out quickly). What is unemployment rate amongst UK citizens vs all workers in UK ?
Unemployment benefits are less simple than they used to be.

1. Unemployment Benefit.
There is single-person rate (£73-ish per week) and a couples rate (£113 pw) . If there are dependant children, then additional money is also added on.

Current rules require claimants to look for work for at least 35hrs a week, covering an area of up to 90mins travelling time (not including waiting for connections/transfer waiting times (so if you're offered a job interview involving travelling 45 mins by train, waiting 45 mins for your connection then another 45 mins on another train just to get there, they don't include the 45 mins each way in your travel time. So if you get the job, you're commute each day is going to be a 4.5hr journey.

2. Universal Credit.
Similar rules to the above, but part-time workers are required to look for more hours to get them working more than 35hrs pw, even if their personal circumstances do need that many hours.

As many of these part-time workers are on zero-hour contracts, they aren't always going to be available for interviews/work when the jobs they're required to apply for want them to attend.

Missing an appointment at the Job Centre, failing to look for enough jobs or get enough interviews, or to refuse an offer of employment results in losing your money for one month. A second time is for three months, and a third time is loss of money for 1 year. They term these 'sanctions'.

Here is a Google search on the stupid reasons some claimants have been sanctioned. This one Benefit sanctions: the 10 trivial breaches and administrative errors also includes evidence given to a Parliamentary committee.

Claiming benefits isn't as simple as it seems, and officially there's no requirement to take zero-hour contract jobs, but Job Centre staff still try it on with those they are sure don't know this.

Fredbargate Dec 10th 2016 6:45 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12125701)
Not under officially-recognised and clearly-defined free movement rules.

I don't recall any problems in my European travels before 1972 using nothing more than a passport.
A passport I still need to access Europe.

TGA Dec 10th 2016 6:50 am

The remoaning continues

A British lawyer has launched a drive to raise funds for a court case in Ireland to find out if the process of Britain leaving the EU could be halted.
Jolyon Maugham QC wants the case to go to the European Court of Justice for a ruling on whether British MPs could reject a Brexit deal after it is done.
He wants to raise £70,000 in donations to start proceedings.
The case will also raise the possibility that Article 50 has in fact been triggered already.
Mr Maugham says he anticipates that UK MEPs will be the plaintiffs in the court action against the Irish government and EU institutions for alleged breaches of Article 50.
BBC

Fredbargate Dec 10th 2016 6:50 am

Gambian leader Yahya Jammeh has rejected the result of the presidential election held earlier this month, a week after admitting defeat.

Mr Jammeh cited "abnormalities" in the vote and called for fresh elections.

Gambia leader Yahya Jammeh rejects election result - BBC News

Does this sound familiar to Remainers and Clinton supporters?

morpeth Dec 10th 2016 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12125334)
As I understand it from what I've read, what the pre 2010 government(s) did in terms of "making work pay" was tinkered about with post 2010 in the Cameron government's desperation to make cuts and in a manner which was counter-productive insofar as that specific aim was concerned. The "taper" which existed was changed so that more benefit was lost at a lower rate of earnings. However, that doesn't mean the benefits system is too generous.

Yes but it wasn't a link to the research itself - just to a newspaper report about its publication and summary of some of the findings. I don't know whether the full report's available to the general public but you can read about it in the link here :

Or you can get it in Mail-speak here, where exactly the same findings are presented in vastly different language and context Niesr finds Brexit could slash 150,000 EU citizens from net immigration to Britain | This is Money

I'm sure we can all think about what a "wage boost" of "as much as 0.5% by 2030" might mean to a very poorly waged person for long enough to decide whether that's actually a terrifically significant improvement or not, though, can't we?

I am not saying UK benefits too generous, just that unless there is a decent incentive to get off benefits many will stay on.

The article refers to .5% wage growth I am unsure what the supporting data could be for that. I remember years ago I lived in a Canton in Switzerland and used to hear the argument all the time that the Swiss wouldn't do certain jobs- the Canton put in some very stringent measures for foreigners. The Canton itself then had problems finding people for certain jobs, so just raised wages enough until they could find locals willing to do that work.

I noticed in an area of Midwest the roofing business and effects on workers of more immigration of lower skilled workers- many local roofing contractors simply cant compete or do so by laying off local workers and hiring the newcomers, or holding wages down of existing workers. Rather hard to see what the benefit is of putting people out of work. I just question the economic models that defy common sense, and laws of supply and demand.( Whether overall effects of Brexit positive or negative is another matter).