Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
What does that even mean, and what is the price you pay for "opting-in"?

And if there is any tangible benefit to opting-in, isn't it going to encourage other countries to vote to leave if everyone can opt back in again on a personal level?
Hey, I didn't write the article. It appears to be a means that UKCs would be able to retain rights to live and work in the rest of the EU. I don't know the price but it'd be worth it for me (and probably millions of others).
Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
I'm fairly sure people did that before the EU

Hang on I was one of them
Were you? With fewer strings attached?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:21 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

So you did not need a work permit anywhere in Europe outside of the UK.
The UK paid any benefits due before it was forced in some cases by the EU.
There were no barriers to living and working in any of the other 27 members.
Who are you trying to fool.
We are talking pre 1972 not 1872.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:56 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
As I understand it, this will require the UK's agreement during the post-Article 50 negotiations. I suspect the UK government will use it as a bargaining chip for something they want such (but are unlikely to get), and when the EU says no, the UK will blame the EU. Again.

Free movement was actually formalised in the European Communities Act 1972.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 6:15 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
As I understand it, this will require the UK's agreement during the post-Article 50 negotiations. I suspect the UK government will use it as a bargaining chip for something they want such (but are unlikely to get), and when the EU says no, the UK will blame the EU. Again.
The article is ambiguous on that, but likely so. As in everything concerning Brexit, nobody really knows WTF is happening.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Free movement was actually formalised in the European Communities Act 1972.
So no Brit moved and worked in Europe before 1972?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Not without strings attached. You couldn't even move money out of the country very easily. People used to smuggle money out of the country to buy property.

Memories of a doomed currency limit - Telegraph

The Government may and do say that there are plenty of opportunities for holidaying abroad within the sterling area, but Europe is not within the sterling area and the Government keep saying that we are good Europeans.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/c...nce-lb50-limit

Last edited by mrken30; Dec 9th 2016 at 8:41 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:00 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Not under officially-recognised and clearly-defined free movement rules.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:08 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

What does that even mean, and what is the price you pay for "opting-in"?

And if there is any tangible benefit to opting-in, isn't it going to encourage other countries to vote to leave if everyone can opt back in again on a personal level?
i have abslutely no idea wether its true or not but what i red was its going to be like if you opt in it costs you nothing and the eu bills the uk afterwards probly duble and the uk cant like charge the individual becoz of privacy laws

like i say ive no idea wether its true
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:14 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, we aren't going back to 1972 or anywhere else. Europe, including us, didn't even have passports in any recognizable form until WWI, and we aren't going back there either.

Like it or not, we are in the 21st century and the world keeps on changing. So will we.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:33 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Like it or not, we are in the 21st century and the world keeps on changing. So will we.
Can someone let America in on this secret, maybe?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:35 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
i have abslutely no idea wether its true or not but what i red was its going to be like if you opt in it costs you nothing and the eu bills the uk afterwards probly double ...
The EU bills the UK for what?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:36 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
As far as I know, we aren't going back to 1972 or anywhere else. Europe, including us, didn't even have passports in any recognizable form until WWI, and we aren't going back there either.

Exactly - glad you've finally got it.

We're going to have visas.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:42 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Exactly - glad you've finally got it.

We're going to have visas.
Which will amount to freedom of movement but because we will call them visas that will allow everyone to claim victory, which is the important thing after all.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:43 pm
Who - me?

The EU bills the UK for what?
I think that's up to you to decide

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.