British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Novocastrian Dec 9th 2016 4:17 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12125426)
What does that even mean, and what is the price you pay for "opting-in"? :unsure:

And if there is any tangible benefit to opting-in, isn't it going to encourage other countries to vote to leave if everyone can opt back in again on a personal level? :confused:

Hey, I didn't write the article. It appears to be a means that UKCs would be able to retain rights to live and work in the rest of the EU. I don't know the price but it'd be worth it for me (and probably millions of others).

Novocastrian Dec 9th 2016 4:18 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12125456)
I'm fairly sure people did that before the EU

Hang on I was one of them :lol:

Were you? With fewer strings attached?

EMR Dec 9th 2016 4:21 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12125456)
I'm fairly sure people did that before the EU

Hang on I was one of them :lol:

So you did not need a work permit anywhere in Europe outside of the UK.
The UK paid any benefits due before it was forced in some cases by the EU.
There were no barriers to living and working in any of the other 27 members.
Who are you trying to fool.
We are talking pre 1972 not 1872.

DaveLovesDee Dec 9th 2016 4:56 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12125420)
Sorry if this has already been posted but this EU negotiators will offer Brits an individual opt-in to remain EU citizens, chief negotiator confirms | The Independent could be a game changer. :fingerscrossed:

As I understand it, this will require the UK's agreement during the post-Article 50 negotiations. I suspect the UK government will use it as a bargaining chip for something they want such (but are unlikely to get), and when the EU says no, the UK will blame the EU. Again.


Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12125456)
I'm fairly sure people did that before the EU

Hang on I was one of them :lol:

Free movement was actually formalised in the European Communities Act 1972.

Novocastrian Dec 9th 2016 5:15 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12125498)
As I understand it, this will require the UK's agreement during the post-Article 50 negotiations. I suspect the UK government will use it as a bargaining chip for something they want such (but are unlikely to get), and when the EU says no, the UK will blame the EU. Again.

The article is ambiguous on that, but likely so. As in everything concerning Brexit, nobody really knows WTF is happening.

Fredbargate Dec 9th 2016 7:33 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12125498)
Free movement was actually formalised in the European Communities Act 1972.

So no Brit moved and worked in Europe before 1972?

mrken30 Dec 9th 2016 7:37 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12125674)
So no Brit moved and worked in Europe before 1972?

Not without strings attached. You couldn't even move money out of the country very easily. People used to smuggle money out of the country to buy property.

Memories of a doomed currency limit - Telegraph

The Government may and do say that there are plenty of opportunities for holidaying abroad within the sterling area, but Europe is not within the sterling area and the Government keep saying that we are good Europeans.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/c...nce-lb50-limit

DaveLovesDee Dec 9th 2016 8:00 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12125674)
So no Brit moved and worked in Europe before 1972?

Not under officially-recognised and clearly-defined free movement rules.

Red Eric Dec 9th 2016 8:08 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12125426)
What does that even mean, and what is the price you pay for "opting-in"? :unsure:

And if there is any tangible benefit to opting-in, isn't it going to encourage other countries to vote to leave if everyone can opt back in again on a personal level? :confused:

i have abslutely no idea wether its true or not but what i red was its going to be like if you opt in it costs you nothing and the eu bills the uk afterwards probly duble and the uk cant like charge the individual becoz of privacy laws

like i say ive no idea wether its true

Lion in Winter Dec 9th 2016 8:14 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12125674)
So no Brit moved and worked in Europe before 1972?

As far as I know, we aren't going back to 1972 or anywhere else. Europe, including us, didn't even have passports in any recognizable form until WWI, and we aren't going back there either.

Like it or not, we are in the 21st century and the world keeps on changing. So will we.

SultanOfSwing Dec 9th 2016 8:33 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12125708)
Like it or not, we are in the 21st century and the world keeps on changing. So will we.

Can someone let America in on this secret, maybe?

Pulaski Dec 9th 2016 8:35 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12125704)
i have abslutely no idea wether its true or not but what i red was its going to be like if you opt in it costs you nothing and the eu bills the uk afterwards probly double ...

The EU bills the UK for what? :confused:

Red Eric Dec 9th 2016 8:36 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12125708)
As far as I know, we aren't going back to 1972 or anywhere else. Europe, including us, didn't even have passports in any recognizable form until WWI, and we aren't going back there either.

Like it or not, we are in the 21st century and the world keeps on changing. So will we.

Exactly - glad you've finally got it.

We're going to have visas.

Lion in Winter Dec 9th 2016 8:42 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12125735)
Exactly - glad you've finally got it.

We're going to have visas.

Which will amount to freedom of movement but because we will call them visas that will allow everyone to claim victory, which is the important thing after all.

Red Eric Dec 9th 2016 8:43 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12125732)
The EU bills the UK for what? :confused:

I think that's up to you to decide ;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:20 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.