British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Pulaski Dec 8th 2016 7:00 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12124607)
Its about Free access to the EU financial markets which the UK institutions currently enjoy.
Companies trading in the EU will have to meet their regulations NOT the UKs.
Almost every capital in the EU is canvassing the UK financial industry offering inducements to move their operations away from London, Tax breaks etc.

It is just one of the many negotiations that will have to take place between the EU and UK.
Negotiations which May describes as " complex " the understatement of the century.

You realize that a lot of the "operations" are now in India, don't you? :unsure:

Having a banking licence to do business doesn't require you to move lock, stock and barrel to another country, and there is absolutely no reason why a bank should move it's entire infrastructure inside an EU country even if the EU puts up the most restrictive barriers to banks in the UK doing business in the EU.

Banks have been moving some activities to Dublin for more than 20 years, but it hasn't left the City as a deserted wilderness with tumbleweed blowing down the street. :rolleyes:

EMR Dec 8th 2016 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12124732)
You realize that a lot of the "operations" are now in India, don't you? :unsure:

Having a banking licence to do business doesn't require you to move lock, stock and barrel to another country, and there is absolutely no reason why a bank should move it's entire infrastructure inside an EU country even if the EU puts up the most restrictive barriers to banks in the UK doing business in the EU.

Banks have been moving some activities to Dublin for more than 20 years, but it hasn't left the City as a deserted wilderness with tumbleweed blowing down the street. :rolleyes:

I take it you are not that familiar with the city of London, the massive financial centre in east london or that almost every UK city has offices employing thousands in the financial sector.
The finance industry is one of the biggest employers in the UK as well as probly beinv the UKs biggest earner.
Its too important for the government to cock up its negotiations with the EU.

Pulaski Dec 8th 2016 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12124742)
I take it you are not that familiar with the city of London, the massive financial centre in east london or that almost every UK city has offices employing thousands in the financial sector.
The finance industry is one of the biggest employers in the UK as well as probly beinv the UKs biggest earner. ....

That is EXACTLY my point - the banks have been moving jobs to Dublin and India for the past twenty years, and it hasn't stopped the City and Docklands being full to overflowing.

Brexit may see some staff relocated to Paris or Frankfurt, but only someone ignorant of twenty-first century banking would expect a catastrophic collapse in bank jobs in London.

DaveLovesDee Dec 8th 2016 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12124690)
I give you the next prime minister of Great Britain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfySN1kzXN8

So who's going to be Northern Ireland's next Prime Minister then?

Or are they going to become part of the RoI (which will make the EU/non-EU border post-Brexit a non-issue).

SultanOfSwing Dec 8th 2016 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12124779)
So who's going to be Northern Ireland's next Prime Minister then?

We've been conveniently forgotten about again, haven't we?

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12124779)
Or are they going to become part of the RoI (which will make the EU/non-EU border post-Brexit a non-issue).

This one is going to be interesting. Either they will honour the Belfast Agreement, go 'soft' Brexit and have an uncontrolled land border with the EU, or they will go 'hard' Brexit, waste who knows how many pounds securing the border and completely wipe their arse with the Agreement.

Red Eric Dec 8th 2016 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12124690)
I give you the next prime minister of Great Britain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfySN1kzXN8

Should be interesting watching him trying to pass himself off as anti-elite.

mrken30 Dec 8th 2016 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12124802)
This one is going to be interesting. Either they will honour the Belfast Agreement, go 'soft' Brexit and have an uncontrolled land border with the EU, or they will go 'hard' Brexit, waste who knows how many pounds securing the border and completely wipe their arse with the Agreement.

Back to scenes like this

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/60287146.jpg

SultanOfSwing Dec 8th 2016 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12124827)

That was really just an army checkpoint though, rather than immigration. I don't remember there being any kind of border control any time we crossed over in the 80s, but there was an army presence.

mrken30 Dec 8th 2016 8:31 pm

Lots of jobs becoming available in the UK

https://www.theguardian.com/business...at-12-year-low

To add to that, food prices will be going up soon

https://www.theguardian.com/business...n-trade-groups

mrken30 Dec 8th 2016 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12124830)
That was really just an army checkpoint though, rather than immigration. I don't remember there being any kind of border control any time we crossed over in the 80s, but there was an army presence.

It was no checkpoint charlie

SultanOfSwing Dec 8th 2016 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12124836)
It was no checkpoint charlie

Given the circumstances, it was necessary, but those days are gone now. One of the great things about the modern day NI-ROI relationship is the Common Travel Area. I would hate to see that go away.

mrken30 Dec 8th 2016 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12124841)
Given the circumstances, it was necessary, but those days are gone now. One of the great things about the modern day NI-ROI relationship is the Common Travel Area. I would hate to see that go away.

Me, that wasn't a pleasant time to be growing up in.

SultanOfSwing Dec 8th 2016 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12124845)

The 80s? I lived in the suburbs, outside of Belfast, so I was lucky, but even though the worst of it was in the early 70s, it probably still wasn't great for people in certain parts of the country even up to the early 90s.

It's a much better cross-border and cross-community environment now and it would be a shame to see any backwards steps being taken as a result of Brexit.

Pulaski Dec 8th 2016 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12124845)

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12124858)
The 80s? I lived in the suburbs, outside of Belfast, so I was lucky, but even though the worst of it was in the early 70s, it probably still wasn't great for people in certain parts of the country even up to the early 90s.

It's a much better cross-border and cross-community environment now and it would be a shame to see any backwards steps being taken as a result of Brexit.

I used to work in London with a woman from NI. She was born in the sixties and moved to London, I believe, in the early-mid 1980's. The first time she ever heard a bomb go off was in London.

SultanOfSwing Dec 8th 2016 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12124863)
I used to work in London with a woman from NI. She was born in the sixties and moved to London, I believe, in the early-mid 1980's. The first time she ever heard a bomb go off was in London.

I actually heard a couple, very faintly being as far down the Lough as we were. From what I remember the bigger IRA bombs (other than Enniskillen and Omagh, both too far away for me to hear) during my lifetime were set in England, though.

Bomb scares were still very common though. Even as late as 2002, there was one that closed the multi-storey car park I used at work.