British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

TGA Dec 5th 2016 4:49 am

re: Post EU Referendum

https://i0.wp.com/order-order.com/wp...t-23.27.37.png

Scamp Dec 5th 2016 5:18 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12121437)
Watching the EU crumble is bitter sweet. Its good to see the corrupt dictatorial regime imploding but I fear for the good people of Europe having to deal with the scorched earth the Eurocrats will leave in its trail.

Genuine question. Apart from the bullshit rhetoric about dictatorial and stuff, why are you so keen for the EU to fail? Is leaving not enough?

I can't imagine hoping UK government and democracy to crumble if we'd voted remain...

Fredbargate Dec 5th 2016 5:25 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12121446)

EU leaders won't have slept much on Sunday night. Angst about Italy makes an uncomfortable bedfellow and there's plenty for them to worry about. Particularly in Brussels. Prime Minister Renzi was the only premier left in Europe with a vision for the EU's future. Angela Merkel is too busy crisis-managing while much of France is in thrall to Front National eurosceptics.

Italy referendum: PM Matteo Renzi resigns after clear referendum defeat - BBC News

TGA Dec 5th 2016 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12121463)
Genuine question. Apart from the bullshit rhetoric about dictatorial and stuff, why are you so keen for the EU to fail? Is leaving not enough?

I can't imagine hoping UK government and democracy to crumble if we'd voted remain...

you need to compare apples with apples

Scamp Dec 5th 2016 5:43 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12121474)
you need to compare apples with apples

OK. I'll try again in a simpler fashion.

Is leaving not enough?

Red Eric Dec 5th 2016 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12121345)
I see the Italians have now decided they're also fed up with being told what they "must" do. :lol:

Sheer pant-creaming by the far right.

The Italians voted against sweeping constitutional reform which would have boosted the powers of the PM to a degree many (including voters from Renzi's party and others on the left) found unacceptable.

TGA Dec 5th 2016 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12121488)
OK. I'll try again in a simpler fashion.

Is leaving not enough?

Enough for what?

Red Eric Dec 5th 2016 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12121468)
Prime Minister Renzi was the only premier left in Europe with a vision for the EU's future.

Nonsense. There are any number of EU countries whose populations and leaders are keen on the future of the EU. They may not all share the same vision and they might not all be as rich or powerful as Italy, France or Germany but they all have a voice and a vote. There's plenty of quiet diplomacy going on behind the screaming headlines still.

EMR Dec 5th 2016 7:20 am

Odd how the victory of an enthusiastically pro EU president over a extreme right winger in Austria has been ignored by our ultras.
I wonder why ?

TGA Dec 5th 2016 7:34 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12121527)
Odd how the victory of an enthusiastically pro EU president over a extreme right winger in Austria has been ignored by our ultras.
I wonder why ?

Ignored or accepted? A similar result in terms of margins as brexit. Are you expecting us to cry like the remoaners?
Thanks for shining a light on the different ways the left and right react to people's will.

EMR Dec 5th 2016 7:37 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12121532)
Ignored or accepted? A similar result in terms of margins as brexit. Are you expecting us to cry like the remoaners?
Thanks for shining a light on the different ways the left and right react to people's will.

Ignored in your case. Just as you have shown your ignorance of events in Italy.

Fredbargate Dec 5th 2016 9:04 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12121532)

:goodpost:

Dick Dasterdly Dec 5th 2016 9:34 am

Frédéric Lordon: The European Union must be dismantled in the interest of democracy - Frontpage - e-flux conversations

"Given how unable it is to transform itself, the European Union can now only choose by what means it will disappear: through obstinacy and a terminal explosion, or an ordered deconstruction process. And an ordered process means a mutually agreed path, a sort of cooperative dissolution agreement, coolly-made. We might mention in passing that if there is indeed a point of convergence that increasingly does look likely to emerge, it is that of everyone understanding that they have a common interest in cutting their losses"

amideislas Dec 5th 2016 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12121505)
Sheer pant-creaming by the far right.

The Italians voted against sweeping constitutional reform which would have boosted the powers of the PM to a degree many (including voters from Renzi's party and others on the left) found unacceptable.

Yes, but that's why the EU should collapse and leave everybody poor and angry. Because, well, you know, we're all living under a dictatorship (despite having every democratic opportunity to vote for or against anything, as demonstrated repeatedly by voters in western democracies).

Being that apparently black is now white and right is left, I reckon when we actually realise the "democracy" some have been led to believe they want, it will actually far more resemble a "dictatorship" masquerading as "democracy". Like Russia, for example. The populists after all, ideologically share a lot in common with Putin's autocratic "democracy".

Pulaski Dec 5th 2016 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12121463)
Genuine question. Apart from the bullshit rhetoric about dictatorial and stuff, why are you so keen for the EU to fail? ....

It will make Brexit more certain.

It will increase the opportunities for Britain "outside" the EU (can you be outside something that no longer exists? :unsure:)

There are probably other good reasons, but those two spring immediately to mind.