British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Dec 2nd 2016 10:00 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12119635)
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ney-chancellor


"As we leave the EU, the UK can turn its back on the austerity policies that have been the hallmark of the euro area. My main argument against staying in the EU has been the poor economic record of the EU as a whole, and the eurozone in particular. The performance has got worse the more the EU has developed joint policies and central controls."

The Eurosceptic vulcan John Redwood, one of the " bastards " in Majors government that resulted in Blair coming to power.
He has been saying the same thing for decades.
You do realise Dick it is the Guardian, that paper you have dismissed as only read by
" lefty loons ".

mikelincs Dec 2nd 2016 10:04 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12119635)
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ney-chancellor


"As we leave the EU, the UK can turn its back on the austerity policies that have been the hallmark of the euro area. My main argument against staying in the EU has been the poor economic record of the EU as a whole, and the eurozone in particular. The performance has got worse the more the EU has developed joint policies and central controls."

Two things, we haven't yet left the EU and we are NOT in the Eurozone in any case.

DaveLovesDee Dec 2nd 2016 10:18 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12119635)
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ney-chancellor


"As we leave the EU, the UK can turn its back on the austerity policies that have been the hallmark of the euro area. My main argument against staying in the EU has been the poor economic record of the EU as a whole, and the eurozone in particular. The performance has got worse the more the EU has developed joint policies and central controls."

If you look at the header, and what is written to the left and above, you'll see this;


home › opinion > columnists

Autumn statement 2016
Opinion
There is a plan: Brexit means good riddance to austerity
John Redwood
It's an opinion.

Here's another by a different contributor,

Austerity is the cause of our economic woes. It’s nothing to do with the EU

SultanOfSwing Dec 2nd 2016 1:28 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12119350)
Un PC.

Seasons Greetings means Seasons Greetings.

Oh, let's not start this bullshit again. It isn't the cultural event of choice that's the important part, it's that someone is wishing you a 'happy' or a 'merry' one of them.

I don't care if you say 'Christmas' or 'holidays' or whatever, if you're wishing me a happy one, then all is well. FWIW, even as an atheist I stick with Christmas because the way I see it that's basically a secular event these days anyway. And I love Christmas - sue me.

DaveLovesDee Dec 2nd 2016 1:33 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12119779)
Oh, let's not start this bullshit again. It isn't the cultural event of choice that's the important part, it's that someone is wishing you a 'happy' or a 'merry' one of them.

I don't care if you say 'Christmas' or 'holidays' or whatever, if you're wishing me a happy one, then all is well. FWIW, even as an atheist I stick with Christmas because the way I see it that's basically a secular event these days anyway. And I love Christmas - sue me.

Have a Happy whatever-you-celebrate.

SultanOfSwing Dec 2nd 2016 1:35 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12119788)
Have a Happy whatever-you-celebrate.

I mean, they can wish me a shit one as well if they want, the **** do I care either way :lol:

lutonlad Dec 2nd 2016 1:35 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12119779)
Oh, let's not start this bullshit again. It isn't the cultural event of choice that's the important part, it's that someone is wishing you a 'happy' or a 'merry' one of them.

I don't care if you say 'Christmas' or 'holidays' or whatever, if you're wishing me a happy one, then all is well. FWIW, even as an atheist I stick with Christmas because the way I see it that's basically a secular event these days anyway. And I love Christmas - sue me.

Fair point. I wont sue.

Lion in Winter Dec 2nd 2016 1:36 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12119779)
Oh, let's not start this bullshit again. It isn't the cultural event of choice that's the important part, it's that someone is wishing you a 'happy' or a 'merry' one of them.

I don't care if you say 'Christmas' or 'holidays' or whatever, if you're wishing me a happy one, then all is well. FWIW, even as an atheist I stick with Christmas because the way I see it that's basically a secular event these days anyway. And I love Christmas - sue me.

Christmas - it wasn't Jesus' birthday anyway, I think that turns out to have been sometime in what is now October. Christmas is, in origin, pagan and about fertility, as most things were. Bringing evergreens into the house was a way to ensure that spring arrived after winter, ie the "rebirth". It just got appropriated by Christians. Not to mention the entirely disreputable custom of wassailing that involved all sorts of goings on. It's a great festival all round really.

SultanOfSwing Dec 2nd 2016 1:39 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12119792)
Fair point. I wont sue.

I've got no money anyway, you'd have been wasting your time :D

But yeah, focus on the well-wishing and worry less about what the celebration is. Secularism is best for everyone :nod:


Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12119794)
Christmas - it wasn't Jesus' birthday anyway, I think that turns out to have been sometime in what is now October. Christmas is, in origin, pagan and about fertility, as most things were. Bringing evergreens into the house was a way to ensure that spring arrived after winter, ie the "rebirth". It just got appropriated by Christians. Not to mention the entirely disreputable custom of wassailing that involved all sorts of goings on. It's a great festival all round really.

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia ...

Yeah, it's a mish-mash of a bunch of different ancient celebrations and you know what - I still love putting up the tree and exchanging presents and letting my daughter believe in Santa for what is probably the second to last year she will (:(), so I don't care what we call it, as long as I still get to enjoy it.

TGA Dec 3rd 2016 5:50 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12119643)
Two things, we haven't yet left the EU and we are NOT in the Eurozone in any case.

you didn't read it did you?

TGA Dec 3rd 2016 5:51 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12119779)
Oh, let's not start this bullshit again. It isn't the cultural event of choice that's the important part, it's that someone is wishing you a 'happy' or a 'merry' one of them.

I don't care if you say 'Christmas' or 'holidays' or whatever, if you're wishing me a happy one, then all is well. FWIW, even as an atheist I stick with Christmas because the way I see it that's basically a secular event these days anyway. And I love Christmas - sue me.

yawn

SultanOfSwing Dec 3rd 2016 5:59 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12120271)
yawn

Thank you for your input ...

TGA Dec 3rd 2016 6:05 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12120278)
Thank you for your input ...

YW

SultanOfSwing Dec 3rd 2016 6:08 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12120282)
YW

Let me tempt fate here and see if you're capable of giving a straight answer to a simple question, let's pretend I've got five pounds riding on it just for shits and grins, but what was the reason for your reaction to my post? It was essentially saying being PC about Christmas is bollocks. You've said before you're not religious, so presumably you approach it the same way I do. Wouldn't you agree that the important part to take away from any 'seasonal greeting' is the words 'happy' and 'merry', and not whatever festival or celebration is being referenced?

Secularism is all-inclusive, after all.

TGA Dec 3rd 2016 6:13 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12120286)
Let me tempt fate here and see if you're capable of giving a straight answer to a simple question, let's pretend I've got five pounds riding on it just for shits and grins, but what was the reason for your reaction to my post? It was essentially saying being PC about Christmas is bollocks. You've said before you're not religious, so presumably you approach it the same way I do. Wouldn't you agree that the important part to take away from any 'seasonal greeting' is the words 'happy' and 'merry', and not whatever festival or celebration is being referenced?

Secularism is all-inclusive, after all.

I agree. I't just mind numbingly boring and nothing to do with Brexit.
If I was to be face to face with you and you started rattling on about "season greetings" i might have to tell you to go away and stop bothering me.
After you'd served me that is...


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:48 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.