British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

paulry Jul 7th 2016 11:15 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11996501)
I don't know much about the Australian system, but this seems to indicate that the difference isn't what you think it is.

‘Australian-Style’ Points System Leads To Higher Immigration Than In UK

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results - Winston Churchill"

And besides all that, Australia adheres to a quota system. If the numbers of immigrants arriving in Australia are higher than elsewhere that'll be because it falls within the managed quota. Absolutely no problem with having a planned high number of well-vetted, healthy immigrants possessing targeted and assessed skills for the benefit of those already living in the country.

So yes, thank you this is a great strategy. :thumbsup: What's yours? :unsure:

amideislas Jul 7th 2016 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11996814)

Well that was in 2013, long before reality set in, before the global economic crisis, and before the migrant crisis, and grossly over optimistic.

It won't be until long after brexit that it actually happens though. And that will easily be a decade, if not two.

Bipat Jul 7th 2016 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11996821)
Free movement made it easier but that still didn't stop immigrants from other countries applying for and being admitted visas. If a non-EU immigrant was denied residence, it was because they didn't fulfill the criteria, not because someone from the EU 'took their place'.

The reason it was a reciprocal agreement between those countries was because those countries were members of the EU, that's really all there is to that. The reason those agreements don't exist with other countries is because they are not EU members and there was no reason to have such an agreement, at least for residency. Kind of pointless debating that one, really.

When it comes to immigration, the UK's relationship with the Commonwealth isn't any different to France's relationship with countries like Algeria, or the Netherlands with Senegal. Any country that used to have a ... well, I can't say that word or I'll trigger you.

I said most other EU countries. No it didn't stop non-EU migrants but it is obvious that with an island the size of the UK there has to be some restriction on numbers, and any restriction has to be on non-EU migrants if there is free movement of EU migrants.
It is only one of the reasons for Brexit!!!

(No problems with THAT word in context, it is irritating when it is so frequently used so casually)

amideislas Jul 7th 2016 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11996822)
And besides all that, Australia adheres to a quota system. If the numbers of immigrants arriving in Australia are higher than elsewhere that'll be because it falls within the managed quota. Absolutely no problem with having a planned high number of well-vetted, healthy immigrants possessing targeted and assessed skills for the benefit of those already living in the country.

So yes, thank you this is a great strategy. :thumbsup: What's yours? :unsure:

OK, but how will the electorate who voted to get rid of all those foreigners respond to more of them? "Freedom and democracy" requires us to respond to "the will of the people". How we gonna deal with this?

amideislas Jul 7th 2016 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11996830)
(No problems with THAT word in context, it is just so irritating to hear it used so casually)

I said most other EU countries. No it didn't stop non-EU migrants but it is obvious that with an island the size of the UK there has to be some restriction on numbers, and any restriction has to be on non-EU migrants if there is free movement of EU migrants.
It is only one of the reasons for Brexit!!!

I reckon lots of other countries will be quite a bit more attractive soon, so perhaps mother nature will take care of that problem for us.

Don't worry, be happy.

DaveLovesDee Jul 7th 2016 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11996754)
The point is whether the UK wants to be part of a federal state of Europe or not.

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 11996796)
Since when?

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11996814)

Wants to be part of - implies the EU already is a federal state.

Was getting towards one - implies it isn't.

Which is it?

paulry Jul 7th 2016 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11996831)
OK, but how will the electorate who voted to get rid of all those foreigners respond to more of them? "Freedom and democracy" requires us to respond to "the will of the people". How we gonna deal with this?

:rolleyes: When are you remainiacs going to get it into your heads? The vast majority of brexiteers didn't vote to "get rid of all those foreigners", they voted to take back control of our country. Which includes taking back control of immigration. Even the rabidly racist (in your eyes) UKIP has only ever wanted to introduce the Aussie style points system - which includes managed quotas.

Bipat Jul 7th 2016 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 11996841)
Wants to be part of - implies the EU already is a federal state.

Was getting towards one - implies it isn't.

Which is it?

Both!! If it is going to be the future now is the time to leave.

amideislas Jul 7th 2016 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11996843)
:rolleyes: When are you remainiacs going to get it into your heads? The vast majority of brexiteers didn't vote to "get rid of all those foreigners", they voted to take back control of our country. Which includes taking back control of immigration. Even the rabidly racist (in your eyes) UKIP has only ever wanted to introduce the Aussie style points system - which includes managed quotas.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu...tok%3D9FAvsS2y

DaveLovesDee Jul 7th 2016 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11996845)
Both!! If it is going to be the future now is the time to leave.

How can it be both. Either is it a federal state or it isn't.

I'm very happy that your generation gets to decide what the younger generations get to experience in other cultures. I hope if you ever return to the UK permanently that your grandchildren get to decide which nursing home you get to live in.

Karma is good.

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11996846)
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu...tok%3D9FAvsS2y

Yes, let's take back control of our border with Slovakia.

Bipat Jul 7th 2016 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11996837)
I reckon lots of other countries will be quite a bit more attractive soon, so perhaps mother nature will take care of that problem for us.

Don't worry, be happy.

I am happy, not sure what you meant by "mother nature". I am in a very attractive non-EU country, where the long awaited pouring rain has woken me up in the middle of the night to spend time arguing about matters that really don't affect me but will affect our offspring.

GeniB Jul 7th 2016 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11996754)
The Constitution of the EU is far different from the EEC the UK joined 40 years ago. The Maastricht and Lisbon Treaties have changed "the rules".
As to obeying the rules the UK were more likely to obey Directives than some other members.
The point is whether the UK wants to be part of a federal state of Europe or not.

Yes the EU did emerge out of the EEC, but the fact remains that the UK were present at every stage ,apparently agreeing.? They weren't dragged along kicking and screaming .They were part of the process -- A process that had been largely laid out from the beginning. Again It's the bit I don't get with the UK.. Why did they prefer to sit on the fence and heckle.? Why didn't they take part in the process.?No one has been able to answer that question for me,
As to obeying directives. I think the UK slyly used some of them to score political points. It allowed them to find a scape goat for things they didn't want the public looking at too closely

Well it's all academic now the UK has chosen it's new path.

amideislas Jul 8th 2016 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11996855)
I am happy, not sure what you meant by "mother nature". I am in a very attractive non-EU country, where the long awaited pouring rain has woken me up in the middle of the night to spend time arguing about matters that really don't affect me but will affect our offspring.

Mother nature has given humans this unique will to prosper. Until now, that's been the attraction to migrants. But we voted to end that.

Dick Dasterdly Jul 8th 2016 12:02 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11996843)

Precisely.

Obviously takes a while for it to sink in, especially after all the nonsense they've been posting, but I'm sure they'll get their heads around it eventually. :cool:

Bipat Jul 8th 2016 12:02 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 11996854)
How can it be both. Either is it a federal state or it isn't.

I'm very happy that your generation gets to decide what the younger generations get to experience in other cultures. I hope if you ever return to the UK permanently that your grandchildren get to decide which nursing home you get to live in.

Karma is good.

Yes, let's take back control of our border with Slovakia.

Will become a federal state is important isn't it? Why wait until it happens?

The political decisions of all generations have an influence on future generations whether for good or bad.
Not sure what you mean by "other cultures"?

We divide our time between two countries, so where we end up permanently will depend where we are when either of us 'kicks the bucket'.

I have plans for 'Dignitas' rather than a nursing home. I wouldn't want them to use all the cash on that.

Now there is a good idea for a new thread, Euthanasia or not for the old!:lol: