British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Nov 27th 2016 4:18 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12115680)
I posted the link as something positive regarding the next ten years, surely most of those years Post Brexit, the title of the thread.

Not surely. But very likely. If Article 50 is triggered.

You followed with your usual negativity, and also posts from another poster who like yourself were obviously unaware of the Tata family history, I was just adding to your knowledge.
I think the Tata family history is irrelevant to the UK steel industry and it's workers, and definitely irrelevent to this discussion.

I agree that the workers of Port Talbot are only interested in their jobs, the point is that now Ratan Tata has taken back control they are likely to keep them.
I've seen nothing about Ratan Tata taking back control, only stuff saying he overpaid for Corus against the advice of board members. Which was in the Economic Times article I linked to.

Bipat Nov 27th 2016 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12115704)
Not surely. But very likely. If Article 50 is triggered.

I think the Tata family history is irrelevant to the UK steel industry and it's workers, and definitely irrelevent to this discussion.

I've seen nothing about Ratan Tata taking back control, only stuff saying he overpaid for Corus against the advice of board members. Which was in the Economic Times article I linked to.

The family history of philanthropy is relevant, another company would probably have sold UK Steel when it was losing money.

Ratan Tata took over for the initial time following the sacking of Chairman Mistry. This has been discussed practically daily in Indian newspapers. As also mentioned by 'Scamp'. I will find links if you wish, but it is well known.

Red Eric Nov 27th 2016 6:12 pm

I posted the link as something positive regarding the next ten years, surely most of those years Post Brexit, the title of the thread.

Talking of which, this appears to me a very interesting assessment of what might occupy the early part of that time. I know it'll probably be greeted with boos and jeers by the usual crowd but try reading it with an open mind and not dismissing it immediately as wishful thinking on the part of someone who wants to overturn the referendum result. The man's a good deal better placed to make judgements on such matters than many another commentator.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...cent-lord-kerr

EMR Nov 27th 2016 6:33 pm

EMR ---I think you really never had it!! Read the posts.

You followed with your usual negativity, and also posts from another poster who like yourself were obviously unaware of the Tata family history, I was just adding to your knowledge.

I agree that the workers of Port Talbot are only interested in their jobs, the point is that now Ratan Tata has taken back control they are likely to keep them.

Only if Tata can divest itself of the pension responsibilities and make a profit.
It is in the article you suggested we read.
Its BUSINESS
If it happens good news for the workers and the UK.

lutonlad Nov 27th 2016 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12115748)
Talking of which, this appears to me a very interesting assessment of what might occupy the early part of that time. I know it'll probably be greeted with boos and jeers by the usual crowd but try reading it with an open mind and not dismissing it immediately as wishful thinking on the part of someone who wants to overturn the referendum result. The man's a good deal better placed to make judgements on such matters than many another commentator.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...cent-lord-kerr

Kerr paints a pessimistic picture of the next few years. Having said that, he explained his reasoning in a balanced and fairly detailed way. The article clearly deserves respect. To put it another way, had it been on screen, I wouldn't have been inclined to throw a brick at the TV - unlike recent interviews with Ashdown and Farron.
I surprise myself to say it, but I was even agreeing with some of Emily Thornberry's comments on AM this morning!

Dick Dasterdly Nov 27th 2016 9:47 pm

I see the usual remoaner negativity continues despite the recent positive trends.
The Guardian in particular seems to be desperately looking for a straw to cling onto to justify its existence.

However biased opinions left, right and centre aside, the one thing that has stood out a mile since the referendum vote is the ever increasing confidence of business concerns in general.

Contrary to the endless fear-mongering predictions, they have lead the way forward by showing ever increasing faith in the future under a Brexit Britain whenever it should occur and IMHO they are by a country mile the most likely to know what they are about.

:cool:

EMR Nov 27th 2016 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12115862)
I see the usual remoaner negativity continues despite the recent positive trends.
The Guardian in particular seems to be desperately looking for a straw to cling onto to justify its existence.

However biased opinions left, right and centre aside, the one thing that has stood out a mile since the referendum vote is the ever increasing confidence of business concerns in general.

Contrary to the endless fear-mongering predictions, they have lead the way forward by showing ever increasing faith in the future under a Brexit Britain whenever it should occur and IMHO they are by a country mile the most likely to know what they are about.

:cool:

Still clinging to your delusion that brexit has happened.
Lets see if you are still so bullish when we eventually leave .
You should read the chancellors autumn statement or do you regard him as a remoaner.

Red Eric Nov 28th 2016 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12115862)

It certainly seems to be giving comprehensive coverage and a range of opinion in a manner which probably differs a little from some other sources.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 28th 2016 9:23 am

What cannot be denied is that the IMMEDIATE AND PROFOUND Post Referendum shock that was promised, simply never materialised, nor did the predicted immediate stampede of companies leaving the U.K.

Instead the virtual opposite has occurred with ever more companies making it clear by their actions that they believe their future lies within the Uk.

As the old saying goes, "Actions speak louder than Words". :cool:

Scamp Nov 28th 2016 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12116182)
What cannot be denied is that the IMMEDIATE AND PROFOUND Post Referendum shock that was promised, simply never materialised, nor did the predicted immediate stampede of companies leaving the U.K.

Instead the virtual opposite has occurred with ever more companies making it clear by their actions that they believe their future lies within the Uk.

Please explain that nothing happened to my mate who visited recently and moaned non-stop about the pound being 'practically worthless'.

No, nothing happened immediately in the aftermath did it, Dick.

Assanah Nov 28th 2016 9:41 am

Nothing happened to the EU either. I thought we were all doomed because the great UK would leave us lowly creatures to our own devices. But NOTHING happened. :nod::nod::nod::nod:

EMR Nov 28th 2016 10:07 am

Which will be proven one way or the other when we finally know the terms of brexit and its impact in the years that follow our departure from the EU.

mikelincs Nov 28th 2016 10:08 am

I see there is a new challenge to the Government to say that the UK MUST stay within the single market area, and urging Parliament to make an implement that decision, ermm won't that mean free movement, something that will really appeal to the Brexiteers

Scamp Nov 28th 2016 10:09 am

EU or Single Market or?

DaveLovesDee Nov 28th 2016 10:19 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12116217)
I see there is a new challenge to the Government to say that the UK MUST stay within the single market area, and urging Parliament to make an implement that decision, ermm won't that mean free movement, something that will really appeal to the Brexiteers

The referendum only asked Remain or Leave the EU. Whether we Remain or Leave the EEA is a separate issue.

I suggested more than a few times a while back on the Leaving the EU thread, that we could end up leaving the EU but still follow EU laws as an EEA member (without the say in the making of those rules that we currently have). And we'll likely lose all the opt-outs we currently have.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12116218)

Some of the Leavers will just claim it's Brussels Broadcasting Corporation propaganda.