British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Nov 27th 2016 11:57 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12115574)
Good news and yet again nothing to do with Brexit, why ?
Because Brexit has yet to happen.
The Times calls it a 100million pound rescue plan and its connection to merge with the GERMAN mega conglomerate Thyssen Krupp.

Because it has not happened yet and will not for a few years yet.

Some things are predictable, I just knew what your negative reply would be.:lol:

Are you saying Brexit will not happen within 10 years.

The merge with Thyssen Krupp is not certain. The Plan to commit to UK Steel is.

(I don't suppose you have been following the daily reports on the sacking of Cyrus Mistry---for not following the ethos of the Tata family.)

EMR Nov 27th 2016 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12115581)
Some things are predictable, I just knew what your negative reply would be.:lol:

Are you saying Brexit will not happen within 10 years.

(I don't suppose you have been following the daily reports on the sacking of Cyrus Mistry---for not following the ethos of the Tata family.)

I have quoted from the Sunday Times the " better " article you referred to.
I suggest you re read it before responding.
No one knows what brexit will mean and one thing you can be sure off companies like Tata will be insuring that either the UK retains tarrif free access to the EU or the UK government if it wants them to stay and invest in the UK provides support to offset any tarrifs imposed by the EU.
Tata is a business not a charity.
I think the UK government should support keeping PT Talbot open, the UK needs heavy industry and steel production.

Scamp Nov 27th 2016 12:09 pm

This has been a fascinating thing to unfold....although like all things I'm sure there's more to it than meets the eye.

Bipat Nov 27th 2016 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12115594)
I have quoted from the Sunday Times the " better " article you referred to.
I suggest you re read it before responding.
No one knows what brexit will mean and one thing you can be sure off companies like Tata will be insuring that either the UK retains tarrif free access to the EU or the UK government if it wants them to stay and invest in the UK provides support to offset any tarrifs imposed by the EU.
Tata is a business not a charity.
I think the UK government should support keeping PT Talbot open, the UK needs heavy industry and steel production.

I have read it. (I was just excusing the Guardian link as you might not like it---along with links to any 'foreign' newspaper which would give you more information.:lol:)

Investment in the UK is the aim. (You are also forgetting the philanthropy ethos of Tata! They were advised against buying Corus in the first place and have lost money all along)

EMR Nov 27th 2016 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12115610)
I have read it. (I was just excusing the Guardian link as you might not like it---along with links to any 'foreign' newspaper which would give you more information.:lol:)

Investment in the UK is the aim. (You are also forgetting the philanthropy ethos of Tata! They were advised against buying Corus in the first place and have lost money all along)

I see you have agreed it is not a fact but as the article confirms a PLAN subject to various conditions such as offloading its 15billion pound pension liability.
If it put philanthropy before profit , why is it doing that ?
Tata is a business not a charity, its time you opened your eyes to the real world.
It exists to make profit, pure and simple.

DaveLovesDee Nov 27th 2016 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12115571)
Set to commit to UK Steel for next decade.
(Not worried about Brexit!)

https://www.theguardian.com/business...el-next-decade

(Sorry it's the Guardian, better article in Sunday Times but couldn't get a link).

Indian company’s move could secure 11,000 jobs and includes stopping the sale of its speciality steels arm

Tata is preparing to commit to its UK steel operations, including the vast Port Talbot works, for at least the next 10 years, in a move which would secure the future of more than 11,000 steel workers and deliver a major boost to the government.

Lord Bhattacharyya, one of the group’s closest advisers, said Tata is preparing “major announcements about growth in Tata Steel”
Sounds more like a sales pitch than a done deal. Is the person quoted an official spokesperson, or just a 'source'?

Bhattacharyya was talking at a meeting of political and automotive leaders from the Midlands on Thursday evening
Ah, I see.

No. It's a 'could be', not a 'will be'. Theyu're probably waiting for 'assurances from the government like Nissan's.

Tata Steel replaces Cyrus Mistry with OP Bhatt as interim chairman

Anil Singhvi, Ican Investment Advisors asked how does a huge company like Tata Steel suddenly remove its Chairman and how does OP Bhatt have the experience to run a steel company?

Mistry Slams Move
"We believe that this unprecedented erosion of core Tata Values, is seriously damaging Brand Tata. Each time one thinks the current standard of corporate governance in Tata Group listed companies under the leadership of the Interim Chairman cannot hit a newer low
Sounds to me that it's more like a boardroom coup.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12115599)
This has been a fascinating thing to unfold....although like all things I'm sure there's more to it than meets the eye.

Definitely.

DaveLovesDee Nov 27th 2016 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12115610)

Earlier this week, Mistry said Ratan Tata decided to buy Corus for more than $12 billion, despite reservations of some board members and senior executives.

Bipat Nov 27th 2016 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12115617)
Sounds more like a sales pitch than a done deal. Is the person quoted an official spokesperson, or just a 'source'?

Ah, I see.

No. It's a 'could be', not a 'will be'. Theyu're probably waiting for 'assurances from the government like Nissan's.

Sounds to me that it's more like a boardroom coup.

Definitely.

The Tata family are Parsis and committed to philanthropy. (Something like the Cadbury family), one of their original ventures the entire profit goes to charity, they protect their workers. They are unlikely to go through with a sale.

Cyrus Mistry has been said to not follow this ethos. May be more to it who knows--this has been filling Indian newspapers for some time.

O P Bhatt is an ex Chairman of the State Bank of India. It is an interim appointment.

EMR Nov 27th 2016 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12115640)
The Tata family are Parsis and committed to philanthropy. (Something like the Cadbury family), one of their original ventures the entire profit goes to charity, they protect their workers. They are unlikely to go through with a sale.

Cyrus Mistry has been said to not follow this ethos. May be more to it who knows--this has been filling Indian newspapers for some time.

O P Bhatt is an ex Chairman of the State Bank of India. It is an interim appointment.

If they honour their committment to the Pt Talbot pension fund and do not offload it as part of the rescue plan I will agree with you..
Did you really read and understand the Sunday Tkmes article, was philanthropy mentioned once .

DaveLovesDee Nov 27th 2016 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12115640)

O P Bhatt was one of the ones who wanted Mistry gone according to the Economic Times article, and he was one of the 'independent' committee members. The article also quoted an industry watcher who asked what Bhatt knew about running a steel company.

And whether they're philanthropists or not matters little to whether or not they support the British steel industry or not.

Bipat Nov 27th 2016 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12115644)
If they honour their committment to the Pt Talbot pension fund and do not offload it as part of the rescue plan I will agree with you..
Did you really read and understand the Sunday Tkmes article, was philanthropy mentioned once .

Why would philanthropy be mentioned in that article??

However, you have implied that you have expert knowledge of all Indian affairs, so you would have known the history of the family business, founded in the 19th century. You will have followed their business dealings and charities over the decades. (The founder is buried in the UK).

EMR Nov 27th 2016 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12115664)
Why would philanthropy be mentioned in that article??

However, you have implied that you have expert knowledge of all Indian affairs, so you would have known the history of the family business, founded in the 19th century. You will have followed their business dealings and charities over the decades. (The founder is buried in the UK).

It has nothing to do with Indian affairs, but simply business, the search for profit.
When will you understand that.
Any philanthropy comes from making a profit first.
When is the Mittal famiky going to
turn over their multi million pound homes in London to the homeless, if they are such a charitable family.

Bipat Nov 27th 2016 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12115667)
It has nothing to do with Indian affairs, but simply business, the search for profit.
When will you understand that.
Any philanthropy comes from making a profit first.
When is the Mittal famiky going to
turn over their multi million pound homes in London to the homeless, if they are such a charitable family.

Obviously profit is the aim of any business. How the profit is used is a different matter.

Why have you changed the subject? We were discussing the Tata family and UK Steel.

EMR Nov 27th 2016 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12115673)
Obviously profit is the aim of any business. How the profit is used is a different matter.

Why have you changed the subject? We were discussing the Tata family and UK Steel.

You really are losing it, you introduced philanthropy into this discussion as a diversion from the facts regarding the Sunday Times article which you recommended us to read.
I doubt that the workers and Tata pensioners in PT talbot give a fig about Parsi traditions and the founder of Tata , all they want is their jobs and pensions secured.

Bipat Nov 27th 2016 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12115675)
You really are losing it, you introduced philanthropy into this discussion as a diversion from the facts regarding the Sunday Times article which you recommended us to read.
I doubt that the workers and Tata pensioners in PT talbot give a fig about Parsi traditions and the founder of Tata , all they want is their jobs and pensions secured.

EMR ---I think you really never had it!! Read the posts.

I posted the link as something positive regarding the next ten years, surely most of those years Post Brexit, the title of the thread.

You followed with your usual negativity, and also posts from another poster who like yourself were obviously unaware of the Tata family history, I was just adding to your knowledge.

I agree that the workers of Port Talbot are only interested in their jobs, the point is that now Ratan Tata has taken back control they are likely to keep them.