British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Fredbargate Nov 25th 2016 8:21 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12113947)
It'd probably look quite good on a TV screen in Gib.

Direct from the UK courtesy of Sky News or BBC

Red Eric Nov 25th 2016 8:30 am

Can you press a button to go interactive?

Red Eric Nov 25th 2016 8:37 am

Brexit tyrants must NOT dictate EU exit terms,’ says John Major | Politics | News | Daily Express!!! :lol:

jimenato Nov 25th 2016 9:40 am

That's the first time I've looked at The Express for some time. People believe this stuff? Seriously?

EMR Nov 25th 2016 9:46 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12114342)
That's the first time I've looked at The Express for some time. People believe this stuff? Seriously?

There is more than enough evidence and links posted by our own Express readers to suggest that some do.
Its a paper with an ageing and declining readership.
It ranks 9th among UK newspapers with a readership around 25% of the more popular tabloids.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 25th 2016 10:02 am

As I was saying......

Business investment helps UK growth stay firm after Brexit vote

:cool:

Dick Dasterdly Nov 25th 2016 10:07 am

NATO chief attacks EU army and says Brexit has made military alliance STRONGER | UK | News | Daily Express

:thumbup:

GeniB Nov 25th 2016 10:11 am

NATO is run by the Americans and solely for their purposes.They pay over 60% of the running costs. Of course they are going to be anti anything the EU does to provide an independent protection source

amideislas Nov 25th 2016 10:11 am

The express is only one part of the sensationalist media problem.

It's the Daily Mail (#1 read newspaper) the Sun (#2) in combination with the Daily Express ... as evidenced by the referendum result, those 3 carry a significant degree of political influence, and can literally lead a majority of the electorate to believe whatever they want it to.

What's scarier is that they don't even have to tell the truth. Daily Mail has the largest number of forced retractions, but all they do is write a paragraph in 6pt type and hide it somewhere deep inside, next to some unsuspecting cooking article or something.

I suppose one could say there's no ethics in journalism anymore, but that's not true at all. It's just that the publications most people want to read don't really offer "journalism". The ones that subscribe to respectable journalistic ethics are amongst the least read.

I reckon it's because the truth isn't very exciting. Why would people read an article about something really outstanding and positive that say, Obama may have done, when they can read an article claiming Obama secretly funneled zillions to ISIS? The latter is a lot more exciting and emotional, even if it's patently false.

EMR Nov 25th 2016 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12114357)

I take it you did not watch ,listen to or read the Chancellors speech on weds.
At least you have finally accepted that we just had a vote and that brexit is at least two years away.

lutonlad Nov 25th 2016 11:14 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12114362)
The express is only one part of the sensationalist media problem.

It's the Daily Mail (#1 read newspaper) the Sun (#2) in combination with the Daily Express ... as evidenced by the referendum result, those 3 carry a significant degree of political influence, and can literally lead a majority of the electorate to believe whatever they want it to.

What's scarier is that they don't even have to tell the truth. Daily Mail has the largest number of forced retractions, but all they do is write a paragraph in 6pt type and hide it somewhere deep inside, next to some unsuspecting cooking article or something.

I suppose one could say there's no ethics in journalism anymore, but that's not true at all. It's just that the publications most people want to read don't really offer "journalism". The ones that subscribe to respectable journalistic ethics are amongst the least read.

I reckon it's because the truth isn't very exciting. Why would people read an article about something really outstanding and positive that say, Obama may have done, when they can read an article claiming Obama secretly funneled zillions to ISIS? The latter is a lot more exciting and emotional, even if it's patently false.

I think your campaign against Fake News is admirable!
Slightly off topic and wrong thread but ...
We were in receipt of a newsletter from our local council which stated very clearly that recycle bin collections were to change from Thursdays to Fridays. Imagine my annoyance when subsequent collections actually occurred on a Wednesday instead. After two months I'm still waiting for the council to publish a retraction. Absolutely disgusting. I've now lost all faith in the said newsletter. I mean, can you believe anything these days?
BTW My next door neighbour, who is an educated fellow (I know that because he said he voted Remain), navigated a far more sensible course by checking directly with the council before putting his bin out. But I say, that's not the point! We can't all be smug b*****ds.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

amideislas Nov 25th 2016 12:02 pm

I was only responding in relevance to a post that raised the subject.

But false or misleading news is, by all counts, an epidemic, and is demonstrably having a significant effect on politics. Brexit and Trump are two of the iconic examples. Both campaigns were dominated by blatant misrepresentations and outright falsehoods.

And equally alarming, aside from the new "fake news" sites and as such found on social media, the top British tabloids are also icons of misrepresentations and falsehoods. And people actually believe what's printed in them, despite knowing full well that they're famous for it. I reckon it's what they want to hear, so it's "better than the truth".

Worse yet, a lot of the public (such as yourself, evidently) seem to think it's at the very least, petty and trivial, if not perfectly OK.

I'm not sure if we should blame the tabloids or the fake press, but blame the public instead - for being so gullible.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 25th 2016 12:18 pm

How about this for a sensationalist rubbish headline from the Guardian..

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...responsibility

" Brexiteers will trash anyone who gets in their way"

To think there are folk who complain about the Express. :confused:

Total load of garbage anyway.
Wonder why the same body didn't take action against previous govts ?

EMR Nov 25th 2016 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12114419)
I was only responding in relevance to a post that raised the subject.

But false or misleading news is, by all counts, an epidemic, and is demonstrably having a significant effect on politics. Brexit and Trump are two of the iconic examples. Both campaigns were dominated by blatant misrepresentations and outright falsehoods.

And equally alarming, aside from the new "fake news" sites and as such found on social media, the top British tabloids are also icons of misrepresentations and falsehoods. And people actually believe what's printed in them, despite knowing full well that they're famous for it. I reckon it's what they want to hear, so it's "better than the truth".

Worse yet, a lot of the public (such as yourself, evidently) seem to think it's at the very least, petty and trivial, if not perfectly OK.

I'm not sure if we should blame the tabloids or the fake press, but blame the public instead - for being so gullible.

Sadly the tabloids know their readership all too well, I do not think that they are gullible but certainly as far as immigration is concerned it just confirms the endemic dislike of immigrants that has akways existed in the UK.
Ignorance and a lack of knowledge about what EU membership actually mean't to the UK, how we benefit was jumped on by the Eurosceptics and their allies in the press.
If we were a better informed, better educated ,more prosperous society the tabloids would not have the influence they have.
The mail was once a paper of repute, its campaign to have the racist murderers of Lawrence convicted deserves the highest praise.
But sadly today I doubt that even its most junior journalists would be allowed time to investigate a racist hate crime and police failings.
It is not what its readership wants to read in print or online.

Red Eric Nov 25th 2016 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12114428)
How about this for a sensationalist rubbish headline from the Guardian..

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...responsibility

To think there are folk who complain about the Express. :confused:

Total load of garbage anyway.

I've pointed this out on many, many occasions before, Dick, but I'll keep hammering away at it because it seems to escape you and anybody else who has a "thing" about The Guardian.

There are several sections to the newspaper and it is apparent which contains any piece that's published in it. On this occasion the article you have linked to is in the section titled OPINION - in other words, it is the opinion of the author of the piece (and is therefore subjective) and not a piece of news reporting (which should be fair, balanced and objective). Whatever the headline attributed to an opinion piece, provided it is clearly identified as such it simply cannot be considered to fall into the category of sensationalist or distorted news reporting.